Could you live without Waves? What would you miss?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Arrested Developer wrote:
robotmonkey wrote: Except the day you stop paying you are left without the plugins. Not so with Waves.
Have you even read my post???
I understand that you want to praise those guys for whatever reasons, but - please - keep it realistic.
I read your post alright. But I can not see how it is related to this comment.

But as far as your post is concerned then it would be interesting to know why you were unable to transfer your licenses. You can do this with generic usb stick, or by moving them back to cloud. Or in the last result use the licence reset option that allow you to start fresh from the wlc cloud. Why any of the options did not work out for you?

And you actally pay wup only in the case you need significant updates like moving from v9 to v10. So far v9 has had all the fixes and improvements for free.

And as far as Waves' support is concerned, I personally have needed it only for license transfers and they have been fastest I have ever seen. In most cases in a 5 to 10 minute range after contacting them. But they are also very quick in solving other problems and offer even remoting in to fix problems on the spot.
No signature here!

robotmonkey wrote:
robotmonkey wrote:
But as far as your post is concerned then it would be interesting to know why you were unable to transfer your licenses. You can do this with generic usb stick, or by moving them back to cloud. Or in the last result use the licence reset option that allow you to start fresh from the wlc cloud. Why any of the options did not work out for you?
no, you're wrong.
I had my licenses on my computer (as written with os 10.6.8.
There was no way to run the license center on it.
of course, it would have been easy for Waves to say: ok, he is a longtime customer, we simply put the licenses in the cloud where he can load them on his new computer. That would have been the way that all other companies treat their customers. But not with Waves. They don't care about customers.
[in the end, i backuped my whole computer on Timemachine, installed "El Capitan", installed the LIcense center, removed the licenses and reinstalled Snow leopard.
And decided never ever to buy anything from them. Which in fact isn't a problem, because as innovative they were in the 90ies, nowadays there are lots of better alternatives.]

It would still be interesting to know what the problem was and why could Waves support not resolve it. To my knowledge the Waves Central problem on older OS X could be resolved by rolling back to v9.3 with offline installer and then transferring your licenses to either cloud or usb. I'm sure you could not have been the only person using Waves on similar os version.
No signature here!

robotmonkey wrote:It would still be interesting to know what the problem was and why could Waves support not resolve it. To my knowledge the Waves Central problem on older OS X could be resolved by rolling back to v9.3 with offline installer and then transferring your licenses to either cloud or usb. I'm sure you could not have been the only person using Waves on similar os version.
Your knowledge is wrong, since they disabled all installers (offline & online) which run on 10.6.8.
There were other users with the same issue. Waves simply ignored the problem and so created some pissed-off-ex-users.

robotmonkey wrote:It would still be interesting to know what the problem was and why could Waves support not resolve it. To my knowledge the Waves Central problem on older OS X could be resolved by rolling back to v9.3 with offline installer and then transferring your licenses to either cloud or usb. I'm sure you could not have been the only person using Waves on similar os version.
Your knowledge is wrong, since they disabled all installers (offline & online) which run on 10.6.8.
There were other users with the same issue. Waves simply ignored the problem and so created some pissed-off-ex-users.
Did you try to let tech support connect to you machine remotely and recover licenses manually? Or, did you try license recovery?
Win10 Cubase Pro 9.5

Andy Gone wrote:
Did you try to let tech support connect to you machine remotely and recover licenses manually? Or, did you try license recovery?
Andy, I've written above what i've done.
And i've also written that the waves support was nonexisting.
They simply had no intention to help and simply wrote some meaningless bs.
And i've also written that i'm not the only one who had this experience.
(and, since i've written everything to this topic there is no further need for repetitions; so please don't start
it over again.)

All said and done, I could very easily do without Waves.

I would miss the doubler. That's about it. One of their cheapest effects is also one of their most unique and useful.

Most of my processing is being taken over by iZotope. Much easier to manage and very good quality.

Cheers
-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

A while back I might have said the API2500, but after getting Acustica's PINK Compressors bundle, I've really not touched it!

RBass occasionally has it's uses, but again, I can replicate what it does with other processors that sound as good if not better to my ears :)

Very unlikely I would purchase anything new from them, or renew WUP on my existing bundles/plugins either for that matter.

Cheers

Scorb
I once thought I had mono for an entire year. It turned out I was just really bored...

I have no Waves plugins, and no plans to get any. Maybe I don't need them :ud:

I have had the platinum bundle for many years now. I use C4, RBass, RVox, Raxxe, mondomod, trueverb, hcomp, doubler, Vitamin, L1, and C1 all the time. I also pull out their eqs quite a bit. Their newer stuff since they started with all the vintage emulations and the signature series "custom chain of our algorithms" stuff has not interested me in the least.

I've only needed tech support on one occasion and they had a bug fix installer emailed to me within the hour. Since they dropped ilok I've had zero problems with them.

I never have been able to convince myself that going " all in" with their complete bundle would be beneficial to me, but their tried and true toolbox of mixing tools that has been around forever is just as useful as it's always been. It also allows for easy work in any other studio I happen to find myself in since everyone in the world has waves' stuff I always have tools I'm familiar with to work with. I could do without their stuff if I had to, but I wouldn't want to as they are some of the most straightforward processors around and score very high in the ease of use department.

JJ
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Andy Gone wrote:
Andy, I've written above what i've done.
And i've also written that the waves support was nonexisting.
They simply had no intention to help and simply wrote some meaningless bs.
And i've also written that i'm not the only one who had this experience.
(and, since i've written everything to this topic there is no further need for repetitions; so please don't start
it over again.)
Ok. This is against my experience, but if you insist, I'm not going to insist. Hopefully we all find our piece somewhere :)
Win10 Cubase Pro 9.5

BERFAB wrote:I would miss the doubler. That's about it.
Ditto. I stopped buying Waves when I learned I would need to update all my Waves plugins to the current major release in order to use them on the same machine. This was back in... 2010 or so. Not sure if things have changed but I imagine this limitation is still in place.

I still use Doubler, tho. Great little plugin.
A well-behaved signature.

First and foremost I would miss Waves NLS. I absolutely love this thing. I definitely would miss it if I didn't have it anymore. I bought it in July and I use it a lot, on almost everything... it's my favorite Waves plugin out of the ones that I have.

Other Waves plugins that I would miss: Maxxvolume, LoAir, CLA-3A, Maserati DRM, Maserati B72, Marroquin Triple D, Marroquin Tone Shaper, Butch Vig vocals (which I typically don't use on vocals).

These I use a lot, but I could live without them due to other alternatives that I have : C1, C4, C6, H-Delay, H-Comp, H-EQ, Kramer Pie, L1, Renaissance plugins, MaxxBass, Doubler, Supertap, the other plugins that are part of the Maserati Signature collection, the other plugins that are part of the Marroquin Signature collection, Kramer Guitar Channel.

The only Waves plugins that I have but never used are Trueverb, One knob Louder, and One knob Pumper, which I all got for free. I could see myself using One knob pumper some day perhaps, but I haven't yet.
Play it by ear

+1 on Maserati and Musicians 2 bundles.

thecontrolcentre wrote:I have no Waves plugins, and no plans to get any. Maybe I don't need them :ud:
+1

Return to “Effects”