Novation Circuit

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've not paid much attention to Circuit befroe but I just watched the latest videos on the updates and it is looking quite good now.

And at least it is getting support/improvements!
Some of my music Soundcloud Goseba

Wormhelmet wrote:I use as standalone or paired with ipad for extra sounds.
How do you pair them? Do you use the iPad as a sound module, sequenced by Circuit?

updates are definitely making this unit more attractive.

but why is the patch librarian run through chrome ? and saved in the cloud ? ... dur, no thanks. I hope I've missed something here in my cursory glance of the updates.

Uncle E wrote:
Wormhelmet wrote:I use as standalone or paired with ipad for extra sounds.
How do you pair them? Do you use the iPad as a sound module, sequenced by Circuit?
Sound module synced with circuit. Both work on battery.

Just got the new update. 60 seconds of sample time spread over however many pads out of 64 that will hold your samples.

Replace the existing drum samples with your own! Even can do phrases if kept short or you'll use up the sampling time quick.

They keep making it better and giving users what they want. Cool and unexpected when I bought it for $250 new
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundcloud Vondragonnoggin
Soundclick Wormhelmet

Daags wrote:updates are definitely making this unit more attractive.

but why is the patch librarian run through chrome ? and saved in the cloud ? ... dur, no thanks. I hope I've missed something here in my cursory glance of the updates.
They want to make it so you can access your back ups anywhere you can get internet service, and Google Chrome is one of the only apps that does Web MIDI at the moment. I have a feeling it's just easier for them to manage on their end, versus making apps for all the different platforms and having to keep those updated/troubleshoot.

Not sure I like it either to be honest, but at we have the option now.

Tarekith wrote:They want to make it so you can access your back ups anywhere you can get internet service, and Google Chrome is one of the only apps that does Web MIDI at the moment. I have a feeling it's just easier for them to manage on their end, versus making apps for all the different platforms and having to keep those updated/troubleshoot.
i know what cloud computing is :dog:
... this is not a good solution as far as I'm concerned.

they could develop an librarian in java if their goal is 'not to make apps for all the different platforms and having to keep those updated/troubleshoot' etc.
Last edited by Daags on Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Daags wrote:
Tarekith wrote:They want to make it so you can access your back ups anywhere you can get internet service, and Google Chrome is one of the only apps that does Web MIDI at the moment. I have a feeling it's just easier for them to manage on their end, versus making apps for all the different platforms and having to keep those updated/troubleshoot.
i know what could computing is :dog:
... this is not a good solution as far as I'm concerned.

they could develop an librarian in java if their goal is 'not to make apps for all the different platforms and having to keep those updated/troubleshoot' etc.
If they make it in java, then that will be the worst on getting updates. Oracle now updates java constantly and doesn't bother making new versions compatible to old versions of dependant software.

Embedded java maybe. I like the max for live synth editor. They should just expand on that to add sample handling chores for circuit. One application to tweak all of it.

They are supposedly working on the web version being able to use a login on Novation.com
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundclick Wormhelmet

Wormhelmet wrote: They are supposedly working on the web version being able to use a login on Novation.com
:dog:

BTW - I think your comments on Java updates, in respect a patch librarian, are over stated. Plus I'll bet my last dollar they have at least a few java developers on staff who could handle this in their sleep.

anyway, some chrome only web-app + cloud storage monstrosity is not the answer to this problem as far as I'm concerned... better they release the SDK and let some bored amateur coder knock one up in his spare time, or even professional 3rd parties.... ala volca sample.

Java is definitely not the answer. There's probably no reason why they couldn't just allow you to download the session directly without all this 'cloud' stuff though.

WebMIDI and Web Audio are in the specs for HTML 5 so if it's not being supported by the other browsers, that's entirely down to them. Apple especially have absolutely no reason whatsoever not to, but I suspect that their main reason to leave them out is down to their desire to have these features only in 'real' apps that they can monitise through the app store.

Wow, no posts since April!
Just a quick question- can the Circuit be used to trigger sounds in Ableton, Maschine and Battery? Also can it be used as a step sequencer for Ableton and Maschine? Sorry if they've already been answered earlier.

LaFormTech wrote:Wow, no posts since April!
Just a quick question- can the Circuit be used to trigger sounds in Ableton, Maschine and Battery? Also can it be used as a step sequencer for Ableton and Maschine? Sorry if they've already been answered earlier.
All the pads output MIDI on various channels depending on which synth/drum parts are active--so it can be used as a general MIDI controller--though it will apply it's active key/scale to the synth channels (there is a chromatic scale so it's just a setting to ensure).

So you can launch clips via MIDI mapping in Live. It doesn't work quite like a launchpad--no little focus rectangle in Live's clip launcher.

Also, the encoders all output CCs on their respective channels too--so you get really easy access to 8*4 encoders. It's a great multi-purpose tool in this way.

Oh, it is a little clunky going between playing with sequences in Circuit and Live--at least I can't figure out a good solution.

It doesn't seem to have the easy option to retain sequences but not play when Live starts playing/recording.

I think you can turn local control off entirely--but that seems like it would diminish the Circuit's utility as a controller.

Other than that it's really cool as a travel companion and a mini controller for Live!

Thanks!

I'm thinking about getting one if these , there is a new software update 1.4 and you can import samples now ... I'm just trying to figure out what I'd miss by buying USED apposed to buying NEW , what extras would I not be getting ????????

I'm still using mine quite a bit but for my portable setup. I'll hook up my sammichSID or Soulsby Oddytron up on one channel and synth + drums from circuit for the rest and use it to sequence the external synth. You can even program the custom macros for whichever additional synth you need.

I like hitting shift + note and using it as a keyboard too. Great range in a small space.

Actually getting more use out of it than I thought I would. Suprisingly fun and just right for a portable sequencer with an additional synth.
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundclick Wormhelmet

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”