Going all software - but what about AN1X?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Analog Night Kontakt Edition

EvilDragon wrote:They are the AN filters. There are some AN1x patches that are in FS1R which sound identical (Earth Lead, for example).
All right..I didn't know that.
Always thought the an1x was the only yam.synth with an.mod. Filters.
I assumed the awm2 filters werd Inside the fs1r.
Which makes me wonder why didn't they put the an1x filters Inside the New montage...
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

gentleclockdivider wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:They are the AN filters. There are some AN1x patches that are in FS1R which sound identical (Earth Lead, for example).
All right..I didn't know that.
Always thought the an1x was the only yam.synth with an.mod. Filters.
I assumed the awm2 filters werd Inside the fs1r.
Which makes me wonder why didn't they put the an1x filters Inside the New montage...
Montage filters are still the same as in Yamaha's previous models (motifs, ex, sy, etc.) Although the sound engine of Montage "SWP70" or maybe a tweaked version of SWP70, has big room for modifications, perhaps we can expect a VA oscillators in the next major update/
http://sandsoftwaresound.net/swp70-tone-generator/
In such case, the AN1x will reborn "partially".

AN1x oscillators sound good & clean, but mind you, they are a free-run, it would be nice to have a phase control to achieve more complex sounds.

EvilDragon wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:Oh that's a pity, I was eyeing one myself - thought it was the same engine but just in a desktop module
It very nearly is but there are some sonic differences, and obviously lack of scenes and scene crossfading because it's just 5 voices (AN1x is 2 5-voice cards). Possibly also converters are different.
I bought one (AN200) and was very disappointed. Converters must be very different because I'd heard all these great sounding demos and when I got it in my home it sounded kind of flat and dull. Oddly the DX200 I had sounded awesome.

If you look at the OP's replacement list, it's not very 1:1. Monark/Diva replacing a MoPho? Please. MoPho's got 4 LFOs, 3 EGs, a step sequencer that can be a mod source, and basically a completely different character than those two software synths. There is no software synth that sounds like a MoPho. Now, I'm not saying the OP won't like his two software choices more, but a direct replacement they ain't. Oxium is actually a bit closer, but even that's profoundly different. Anyway...

I'd keep it. You need a 61 key controller anyway. No sense it paying nearly what you'd get for the An1x for a keyboard that probably doesn't feel as good.

So, I don't think there's really a replacement or anything that tries to model the An1x, but just start looking at all the cool VA synths out there. You're sure to find a good one. One that sounds the same as the An1x... I don't know Other "digital" VA plug ins that I like include... Dune 2 (might get it soon, loved the demo) Discovery Pro, Diversion, Omnisphere (of course that's a lot more too) Falcon (ditto). Anyone of those should get you some cool sounds.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

crystalmsc wrote:
Schiffbauer wrote:I have the AN1x in my setup for years and use it very often.....

IMO nothing comes close to it....
As the owner of AN1x and AN200 I can confirm to that, especially as a full sized keyboard instrument. Nothing can replace AN1x for me.
felis wrote:It's got a synth called 'TRIP' which has some similarities to the AN1X.
But I should agree that Trip has certain charm of AN1x. I just got Retrologue and while not the same, the sound reminds me of the AN engine. With more interesting features on certain part, it would make a great hardware synth as well. It sounds so good actually and I really like the "Retro Modern" feel of the sound, almost like the AN1x.
Oh yeah, I do like Retrologue too.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Judging from the videos, I think the nearest is Retrologue 2.

I have an AN1x and searched for some time for an (inexpensive) soft synth that would be similar. I wasn't looking for a replacement exactly, but rather something that would provide the same range of sounds and sound-creation workflow, but in software for convenience.

I agree that there's nothing that sounds quite like an AN1x, but I settled on KV331 Synthmaster. Again, I partly chose it because I could get it for $60 at the time, but Synthmaster 'feels' very similar in its workflow. I think the philosophy of synth design behind it is similar, and I suspect that had the 1997 Yamaha engineers had the benefit of 2016 computing power at their disposal, they might have designed something similar. Synthmaster has an almost 1:1 correlation of features with the AN1x, even down to the 2-independent-layers-per-patch architecture. The GUI with the block diagram, the dedicated modulation sub-oscillators, the big mod matrix, the big selection of slightly dodgy effects - it all feels very AN1x-ish to me. The key exceptions are that the FM implementation is utterly different, there's no morphing between the 2 layers, and the oscillator tone control on synthmaster has resonance, which I find rather irritating.

A tip - I found that I could get Synthmaster to sound a lot more like an AN1x if I carefully sampled the AN1x basic waveforms and imported them, with several different 'edge' settings. The ability to create rounded, non-resonant waveforms for AM/FM processing helps create some of my favourite bell and piano sounds, which I couldn't reproduce in Synthmaster until I had appropriate wave samples. I keep hoping for an update that allows the resonance on the per-oscillator tone control to be removed...

Of course, Synthmaster goes MUCH further than the AN1x in terms of its features - you get everything on the AN1x multiplied several times. The sound is different for sure, but in many cases (whisper it...) I like it better - I prefer Synthmasters filters. It makes my heart glad to hear so much love for the AN1x in this thread though, it's historically tended to be very unfairly maligned! I doubt I'll get rid of mine, I love it for its expressiveness as a keyboard controller - even if I bought a nicer controller I think I'd miss the ribbon controller!

Good luck in your search..

Numanoid wrote:What is so special about the an1x after all?

Dave Smith was involved :hail:

Mattvk wrote:

Any source or article for that please?

szurcio wrote:I would like to go all software, keeping only Kurzweil PC361 as my controller keyboard. I'm replacing my Motif Rack XS with Halion, Blofeld with Largo, Mopho with Monark/Diva, Plugiator with Arturia instruments - but what softsynth could replace my AN1X? That's the big question. The filters on that thing are amazing, capable of long beautiful sweeps and it sounds great - right in the sweet spot between analog and digital / clean and punchy. Any suggestions?
There's iOS version of the An1x in the Yamaha Synth book app.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

phreaque wrote:
Mattvk wrote:

Any source or article for that please?
I tryed to find the german thread where i found it but notthing. Take it as rumours until someone confirmed it. :wink:

What i found:

Dave Smith build one of the first Software Synthesizer for PC (1996).

https://www.amazona.de/interview-dave-smith/

Dave Smith did work briefly for Yamaha developing the SY33, that was a bit before AN1X

Sonically, a synth I think is somewhat close to AN1x is Diversion. The filters in AN1x are juicier, though.

Return to “Instruments”