Could you live without Waves? What would you miss?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Andy Gone wrote:
Fleer wrote:Just one thing, I don't like paying yearly dues for updates. I know they're not obligatory, but I fear there will come a time, soon enough, that I'd have to pay for WUP in order to keep up with my computer's OS.
Sooner or later your system will become outdated and you will need to invest for an upgrade. There is no point to fear something that will happen inevitably. For example, 15 years ago plugins used DirectX format, which is not supported by any modern software, because new and much better ones were developed since then. Such new research is good, because it brings us better efficiency, but developers need to cover costs of it. So, we will pay for better software this or that way, which is normal.
Standards creep does not help us. It is not normal, but is a push for planned obsolescence.

You should not buy into such things like this, I think.

Planned obsolescence is a term people use too much I think.

When creating standards it is really hard to predict the future and what it will hold. The only thing we can do is try our best.

We've gotten better at it. The MPEG-4 standard is so much better anthought out than MPEG-2. Just as the new official MIDI spec is much better than the older system designed in the early 80s. These older systems were originally designed to be future proof, but ended up becoming a hindersnce more than anything!!

It doesn't matter how much thought you put into something, everything becomes obsolete at some point. You really don't have to artificially manufacture it. Even with our best attempts we simply cannot predict the future.

At some point in time MPEG-4 will also be a hinderance and will require a new MPEG-5 standard to overcome it. It will have nothing to do with planned obsolescence, just a response to reaching the limits that the current technology can offer.

Software devs don't intentionally make their older products obsolete. Most will keep backwards compatibility for as long as is viable. However, technology changes as does user's requirements. The focus has always been on improving workflow and one way to do that is to take advantage of technology that was never possible before because the hardware was not up to spec.

It is simply presenting people with new tools that could otherwise enhance their workflow immensely that creates the demand for more powerful technology. Hardware manufactures are all to happy to comply because it's a way for them to make money. Software devs are all to happy to use that newly acquired power and make their money from providing us with new workflow improvements.

It's a cyclic thing but it's really the demands of the user that fuels that fire

There's no planned obselecense in any of this, there isn't a need for it.

Fleer wrote:Just one thing, I don't like paying yearly dues for updates. I know they're not obligatory, but I fear there will come a time, soon enough, that I'd have to pay for WUP in order to keep up with my computer's OS.
There seems to be much confusion with many thinking you need to pay it annually. I fell into that trap too.

There is an opportunity to save if you pay WUP before it expires, but it's only really worth it if you have something to gain as many bundle owners do. You actually don't need WUP for updates.

Really you can pay it at any time.

I haven't paid mine for several years, except for Element where I paid $10 on WUP for it so I could update to Element 2.

WUP really is that simple and that affordable. I'd certainly take it any day over a subscription service even their own. Ultimately it works out a lot cheaper.

Yes I can totally live without Waves plugins and no I miss nothing. :)

simon.a.billington wrote: WUP really is that [...] affordable.
That´s bullshit.

WUP for the J37 would be 60$, that´s more than what I´ve paid for the plugin back then. That´s ridiculous...

soulone82 wrote:
That´s bullshit.

WUP for the J37 would be 60$, that´s more than what I´ve paid for the plugin back then. That´s ridiculous...
WUP for J37 is $14. I tried to get $60 you are claiming, but it is $14.
Win10 Cubase Pro 9.5

keyman_sam wrote:I'm thinking of selling all my waves plugins since I haven't installed them and the last time I tried it brought my machine down.

I MIGHT install them now, but I'm happy enough with the plugins I have I figured I could survive.

What are your best Waves plugins and are there any alternatives to those? Could you live without it?
Using them less and less TBH. The only thing I still use is Maseratis vocal plugin which gives me the sound I want in 15 seconds rather I have to spend a few minutes doing it myself. Will still install it next time I get a new computer. But I'm not far behind you.

/C
CLUB VICE for ARTURIA PIGMENTS
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

Andy Gone wrote:
soulone82 wrote:
That´s bullshit.

soulone82 wrote:
Andy Gone wrote:
soulone82 wrote:
That´s bullshit.

<..>
Here is mine. The "single machine" is on too. You need to e-mail Waves sales to learn why it is $60, because it is strange. If I choose some plugin which has WUP expired in 2015, still I don't get that much.

Win10 Cubase Pro 9.5

WUP price goes up when your 1st year renewal period expires. It gets more expensive the longer it has been since the renewal date. Usually you have 1 year wup + one additional month for renewing with the low price (~10-15$ range) and then it starts to go up.

That said I think WUP is quite reasonable. You do not need to pay it every year as many have mistakenly thought. V9 has seen loads of updates and they have all been free.

Many other developers are asking you to pay for any significant updates (usually in the 30-50$ range per single plugin). Or they just suck at updating their products in a timely manner. Waves on the other hand has best support in the industry, keeps every plugin up to date (even their very first ones!), and fixes any problems very quickly.
No signature here!

I think so. There's almost nothing that I use a lot. I use hybrid-EQ from time to time, but now that I've just moved production to my windows machine, my original impetus for buying it is gone. I still like ren-bass, but I don't use it that much and I would probably just not really think about if it were gone.

I might miss the console and pye compressor from tapes/transistors. I do like those.

robotmonkey wrote:Waves on the other hand has best support in the industry, keeps every plugin up to date (even their very first ones!), and fixes any problems very quickly.
This sentence is ridiculos.
When I've changed my main computer last year, there was no way to transfer the licenses from the old one (which has MacOS 10.6.8 ).
Waves' support didn't do anything beneath some useless blah-blah.
Some years before i had to change my Mainboard and forgot to deautorize my licenses.
No company (out of very much) made the slightest problem. Except Waves. They refused
to restore the licenses.
And the WUP thing would make sense, if it would be related to substantial updates.
Which don't happen.
To ask again for money for a plug in that hasn't changed since ages that's a different situation as asking for an update fee for updates with substantial changes.

However, until my Waves plug ins won't get "disabled" by some WUP related "update", i'm still using S1 a lot, and really like this one. The rest has been replaced.

robotmonkey wrote:WUP price goes up when your 1st year renewal period expires. It gets more expensive the longer it has been since the renewal date. Usually you have 1 year wup + one additional month for renewing with the low price (~10-15$ range) and then it starts to go up.

That said I think WUP is quite reasonable. You do not need to pay it every year as many have mistakenly thought. V9 has seen loads of updates and they have all been free.

Many other developers are asking you to pay for any significant updates (usually in the 30-50$ range per single plugin). Or they just suck at updating their products in a timely manner. Waves on the other hand has best support in the industry, keeps every plugin up to date (even their very first ones!), and fixes any problems very quickly.
LOL. Meanwhile, Slate Digital offers their whole range of plugins and more every year, for $15/month.

lolilol1975 wrote: LOL. Meanwhile, Slate Digital offers their whole range of plugins and more every year, for $15/month.
Except the day you stop paying you are left without the plugins. Not so with Waves.
No signature here!

robotmonkey wrote: Except the day you stop paying you are left without the plugins. Not so with Waves.
Have you even read my post???
I understand that you want to praise those guys for whatever reasons, but - please - keep it realistic.

Return to “Effects”