VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi

Is there any effect which generates FM synthesis,
only instead of using internal oscillators,
it uses the channel it's on to in the following way:

- The channel functions as the source carrier (i.e. the channel source feeds the plugin with the carier sound)
- The side-chain channel functions as the FM modulator

Is there any plugin which does that?
Thanks!
Booli.

They exist and i think you mean Phase Modulation..either way it's pretty useless because phase modulating harmonically complex signals (e.g a drum)with a uncomplex modulator (a sine wave)will just produce noise (unpleasant,barely useable noise)the very reason it's always advised you use uncomplex harmonic in PM synths is because of this very reason or you can get (sort of)interesting sync-y timbres messing round with waveforms which has straight duty cycles (saw waves,pwm ramp)

FM would be like running an lfo at audiorate on the pitch in a sampler for example (not the same thing)or modulating the pitch with an audiorate signal trigger
I

U-he's Zebrify (part of Zebra2) will allow you to FM Oscillators and XMF filters with incoming audio. But that's not exactly what you want.

I built a patch in max that was a delay which could be modulated at audio rate, even using incoming audio as the modulation source. I think it could probably be done in Reaktor as well.

True, this kind of thing can get noisy really quick but you can also get really cool transitions between tonal and noisy bits when using subtle amounts of modulation.

The key is definitely to keep your modulation amounts under control. I'm still pining for an amazing patch I once made in Seer Systems Reality, using multiple copies of the Windows 95 startup sound to FM each other.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

deastman wrote:The key is definitely to keep your modulation amounts under control. I'm still pining for an amazing patch I once made in Seer Systems Reality, using multiple copies of the Windows 95 startup sound to FM each other.
Seer-Systems-Reality-Synthesizer-Small-PC
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Found it! FM8 as an FX. Sounds exactly as I was imagining it.
Thanks everyone!

Return to “Effects”