Build Suggestions

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So in the next couple of months I'll be building a new music production PC, which will also be used for some light gaming and video editing, but we'll focus on the music production aspect of it. I'm confident in my choices, and I've already ordered a few of the parts, but I thought I'd pop on here and ask for any suggestions people had.

here is the build:
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/xy6xgL

if your wondering why I need 32gb RAM, I use a lot of Kontakt, and my current machine only supports up to 16gb which I have, and its just not cutting it.

Looks like a good build.

You are going to overclock?

It's certainly more of an "I want to game" build, can't fault that though.

Only changes I would consider are an AIO liquid cooler (240-280mm rad with some noctuas). Possibly look at only running SSD in the system (2x whatever size you need for your samples in raid 0 with a backup or two on mechanical storage), chuck a couple 2tb backup/storage drives somewhere else on the network. I guess a large local drive is a necessity with Steam/gaming though so.. yeah, that's just my suggestions for the sake of suggestions :P

Kabylake might or might not be worth holding out for, we don't really know.
I play guitar

Chickenman wrote: Only changes I would consider are an AIO liquid cooler (240-280mm rad with some noctuas).
The DarkRock OP has already chosen would be the quieter solution, marginally less effective (within a few % performance wise) and cheaper.

Kaine wrote:The DarkRock OP has already chosen would be the quieter solution, marginally less effective (within a few % performance wise) and cheaper.
Exactly. While water cooling is great for acoustics especially given the performance, the problem is that no matter what you will still have fans making noise, and then no matter how quiet the pumps are, they will still make noise as well. And this might be a worthwhile compromise with a custom loop, AIO coolers are known to offer only a little bit if any increase in performance compared to a similarly priced air cooler. And I don't have the money for a custom loop. I looked at some acoustic comparisons of different coolers and the dark rock had the best balance between acoustics at load and at idle. I do appreciate the suggestion though.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”