brainworx rockrack guitar amp simulator

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I played with the demo and I think it sounds really good. I might like it $200 worth if I didn't have Amplitube3,S-Gear,Guitar Rig,Overloud TH-2 and some others.
My ears haven't yet determined if it sounds actually better enough to buy it or just different and that tells me right there I can do without it. If I thought it was definitely better, It would have hit me right away.
When you have all these amp sims already, different doesn't cut it. It needs to be better for me to shell out any more money. I would consider buying it in a heartbeat if it was my first or even second amp sim though. I still may get it on sale down the road.
One thing that could have been a deal maker is if Rockrack wasn't the typical high cpu hitter. That's why I use my TH-2 instead of my Amplitube most times depending on if I'm also using Omnisphere and all these other cpu hogging synths and samplers.If Rockrack was low on cpu like TH-2, I might have been persuaded.
I think in some respects it sounds better than my other sims.
The clean sounds are nice, the crunchy is nice. Just not better enough to buy yet another $250 sim since money is an issue for now.
One last thing, the sound I think is a bit thicker to my ears in a good way and what I really like is I think you can actually crank the volume up on the guitar from say 5 to 10 where you get more gain but the meters in my Cubase don't show an increase in volume. That I really like. jmho.

izonin wrote:Listening to the demos there's something plastic about the sound. Not as impressed as I thought I'd be.
That "plastic" sound has been prevalent in AmpliTube for some time now. I attribute it to being part of AT's sound. It can usually be remedied with a notch filter between 1k and 3k. I don't hear a lot of it in the new Slash models (which do sound awesome btw) but its there as a part of the AT sound; at least to my ears :shrug:

As gets mentioned over and over, the modeling is not completely "there" yet but it's fun to watch it keep improving 8) Maybe bx_rockrack will take it to another level again...we'll see. Right now, S-Gear and AT are the perfect compliment for me and, AT finally has some Marshall sounds I like, sweet!

blueman wrote:
izonin wrote:Listening to the demos there's something plastic about the sound. Not as impressed as I thought I'd be.
That "plastic" sound has been prevalent in AmpliTube for some time now. I attribute it to being part of AT's sound. It can usually be remedied with a notch filter between 1k and 3k. I don't hear a lot of it in the new Slash models (which do sound awesome btw) but its there as a part of the AT sound; at least to my ears :shrug:

As gets mentioned over and over, the modeling is not completely "there" yet but it's fun to watch it keep improving 8) Maybe bx_rockrack will take it to another level again...we'll see. Right now, S-Gear and AT are the perfect compliment for me and, AT finally has some Marshall sounds I like, sweet!
My comment was about the sounds on this Rockrack video:
http://vimeo.com/39783925

izonin wrote:My comment was about the sounds on this Rockrack video:
http://vimeo.com/39783925
Ooops :dog: :oops:

A user demo clip from GearSlutz:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/80419253/Charle ... NG%201.mp3

This plug is made for this style and it's very good at it.
Useless for me.... the vintage tone player.

:shock:

Is this thing supposed to be a joke?

I just bought it during the current sale because I really love their Bassman emu and also ocassionally manage to make good use of their Megadual, but this one just sounds absolutely dreadful to me - easily one of the worst amp-sims I ever tried... suddenly it's 1995 again... :?

Imo it's not nearly worth the 29bucks I paid for it...
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Depends. Considering your style, I don't think you'll ever like it. For me, I like high gain.

I sold it a long time ago but at the time it was pretty good for high gain.

blueman wrote:
That "plastic" sound has been prevalent in AmpliTube for some time now. I attribute it to being part of AT's sound.
No, it's actually part of IK Multimerchandiser's sound. Plastic. A cryin' shame, too, because just think if they would spend as more and more time on programming the actual plugins they sell as they do making tasty GUIs, then their stuff might be worth buying. But that's not the case. I don't have much need for amp sims, but I don't buy any of their other offerings either. Just eye candy that sounds so blah, like a really cheap brand of vanilla ice cream. At least they don't put dumb little dinosaur heads on all the front plugin panels too.

jens wrote:Is this thing supposed to be a joke?

I just bought it during the current sale because I really love their Bassman emu and also ocassionally manage to make good use of their Megadual, but this one just sounds absolutely dreadful to me - easily one of the worst amp-sims I ever tried... suddenly it's 1995 again... :?

I too have their Bassman and the Mesa Dual and I'm quite liking them indeed. Can't imagine Rockrack being bad in any significant way.

Most of the issues people have with things not sounding the same is the studio monitors or headphones they are using. Then of course each analogue piece has its own distinct sound, even if it is the same unit. Part manufacturing just isn't perfect, even today. There's always tolerances that accumulatively change the way something sounds.

Of course wear and tear has a lot to do with it as well. Especially if the amp you own has been punished a lot. It is so going to sound different than one just off the assembly line.

I love a lot of PA's work

jens wrote:Is this thing supposed to be a joke?

I love bass dude and megadual, really great ampsims. I demoed rock rack over the weekend and even for $29 I passed. Nothing special.
A bit fried in the higher freqs

rockrack was done way before the newer models. i never liked rockrack. i'm still waiting for a healthy discount on that Chandler amp...
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Burillo wrote:rockrack was done way before the newer models. i never liked rockrack. i'm still waiting for a healthy discount on that Chandler amp...
I got it for $49 back in June, maybe you missed it or that wasn't a healthy enough discount for you, but it was certainly worth it to me, sounds pretty awesome, really like it, and in it's place nothing much can replace it, actually really like the rockrack as well, don't mind the ENGL's either, or the Mega's. Ok I like them all :D

Not my go to's, but in there place they are all good
Say NO to CLAP!

nah i missed that discount. but i'm still keeping hopes up :D

didn't quite like ENGL's either, but i never like ENGL emulations in other ampsims either. maybe it just isn't my amp (like the 5150).
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

V3 Released

Blurb says 8 amps emulated, but 4 are variations of an ENGL 530, 2 are Marshall 800s, a Mesa Boogie Rect-O-Verb 50W and a BX-666.
Complete overhaul of code for a drastic improvement in quality and sound

There's also a free preset-only player version. No parameters are editable except the master volume. So you better like the presets.

And the AU fails validation in Sierra like most of PA's plugins.
Image Image Image Image

Return to “Effects”