Midi control of a hardware synth sounds directly back into DAW

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What synth will let you lay down a midi track in Cubase Pro, then let that midi track play your hardware synth and put it's audio back onto a Cubase audio track? Yamaha MX 49/61. This is a combination midi controller and rompler loaded with Motif sounds. It sounds better than any software synth that I have - much better. This is all done through a USB connection. Can any other hardware synths do this? :o

May be that I just don't understand what you say but what synthesizer doesn't work like that? You just disable local control and let Cubase do the rest using a MIDI and an audio track. Although I don't know how USB synths work but I really doubt that the recording process has become any more complicated with the usage of "new technologies".

elektron overbridge?
dedication to flying

Most of them? Anything with midi or usb can be triggered, altho not all can do audio over usb.

Ummm... yeah. I have a handful of old Korg and Novation hardware synths ... they all do that. Even over 5-pin DIN MIDI. Just connect both the IN and OUT MIDI ports. Play the synth with a controller while recording the MIDI data in the DAW, then let the DAW play the MIDI data when you're ready to commit to audio.

Bubbamusic wrote:Can any other hardware synths do this? :o
Yes.

So far, any modern DAW I know can play a MIDI track, and at the same time have a second audiotrack just below in the same project, that you set to record and use the proper input (in this case your external synths audio outs connected to your soundcards audio ins), which will record whatever comes along. That works with any PC/Mac, DAW, whatever external soundsource etc. That also works with VSTs etc ... whatever your DAW offers as inputs to the audio track. The external device doesn't matter ... they all have audio outs usually.

If you want to record "per MIDI channel" all at the same time without recording one by one etc it gets more complicated ... your soundcard and external hardware will need several ins and outs to start splitting up thing. But recording a normal stereo sum is possible with anything usually.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”