Sonimus TuCo Compressor

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Seriously, you're complaining about the price ?

Compared to most competitors, it's fair. Considering how good (great) it sounds. Not to mention the low CPU usage.

Yes, I was expecting it to be closer to the $39 I've paid for my other Sonimus products.

I consider it's closest competitor to be MJUC. It does have lower CPU usage but I'll have to keep playing with it to see if it is definitely "better."

OK saturation.
Nice simple workflow.
Adjustable detector filter very handy.
Non-adjustable VU meter not so handy.
CPU usage is low.
Price seems OK for me.

I have made similar saturation effect from Saturn, but this is OK. Enjoying the different modes for different purposes substituting for independent ratio and attack control, so more listening and less tweaking. Nice GUI.

Not enjoying the lack of trim and autogain for quick A/B comparison. Not enjoying also lack of metering settings.

I am unsure if this appeals to me while having also The Glue and MJUC. Maybe???

kj.metissage wrote:Seriously, you're complaining about the price ?

Compared to most competitors, it's fair. Considering how good (great) it sounds. Not to mention the low CPU usage.
That's not really the point... Sonimus are associated with high quality products at a lower cost. So therefore the compressor is comparatively expensive against their other products. So people's expectancy is somewhat messed with.

If this was released by Slate, you'd be going this is a fantastic price!

However, the Sonimus pricing model seems to be changing, that is to say, that their prices are creeping up. So, it's probably safer to assume that they now use 'mid-level' pricing.

That said, I do like the new compressor quite a bit.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Going to do some testing!
I also expected the price to be the usual charming Sonimus €39,- ;)

Do Sonimus products (other than Satson which i own) require online activation? The TuCo Manual refers to some sort of activation software.

i bought.

i like.

update:

i like very much.

sounds great, responsive - coupled with Burnley: pretty friggin' dreamy.

i'm good with the price.

i always thought Sonimus was WAY under-priced prior to TuCo.

so,

i slapped a Superior Drummer 2 VI on with just a stereo out into Studio One Pro.

insert chain:

Burnley 73 - 80 HPF, 220 bump, 4k bump, high bump and 20 mic pre.

Tuco 1 - Mode 2 (fast attack), fast release, 5.0 drive - 100% wet = for peak taming.

Tuco 2 - Mode 1 (slow attack), 5.0 release, 3.0 drive - 100% wet = for finishing.

just a quick run to get a taste.

very nice!

the 2nd instance brings out the room mics BEAUTIFULLY - almost don't need reverb.

just my take.
Last edited by zoot_rollo on Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:09 am, edited 3 times in total.

zeep wrote:Going to do some testing!
I also expected the price to be the usual charming Sonimus €39,- ;)

Do Sonimus products (other than Satson which i own) require online activation? The TuCo Manual refers to some sort of activation software.
there are 2 simple Registry files for license activation and removal.

The first Sonimus plugin that I'm not impressed by.
You are currently reading my signature.

djanthonyw wrote:The first Sonimus plugin that I'm not impressed by.
but how can that be?

i like it so much - you must like it.

something is seriously wrong here...

i must go meditate now, excuse me...

I didn't really want to buy another compressor, but the more I've been using this the more I like it.

It just sounds very smooth but adds a lot of weight to the drums.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

joe_04_04 wrote: Adjust compression to taste
Blend dry signal back in to taste (let's call it 50/50 just for argument sake)
Bypass plugin to see if compression choices sound good
Fail.

This is a perfect example of where the current system, the way you prefer it, fails. You are already comparing something with less volume than the original, depending on how much you are compressing. A true 50/50 blend will require you to use the makeup gain to be back at identical levels. Well guess what? You've now also boosted the dry signal, thus making it really hard to compare 50/50 as the knobs 50/50 position no longer matches.

So what you tried to describe is actually how it WOULD WORK if the output knob, aka makeup gain, did NOT interfere with the dry signal.

I just want to dial in an amount of compression, high or low, then I adjust the makeup gain so that it's again at equal level to the original (dry) signal. Then I simply tweak dry/wet to taste. I don't care if the actual ratio of dry/wet is perfectly 50/50 or 40/60 or whatever. I just tweak the knob until I get the transients of the original coming through the amount I need for the mix to sound good.

So just to recap:

Scenario: I want the room sound of the drum room mics to be more dominant and have less transients.. but then later decide I need a little bit of the natural dynamics in there to keep it punchy without being "clicky".

1) I squash the living shit out of the audio source.
2) I adjust the makeup gain so that I compensate for the volume loss due to compression
3) I dial the wet/dry knob until it sounds the way I like. Done. No overall volume change has happened to disrupt my mixing.

Your case:

1) I squash the living shit out of the audio source.
2) I adjust the makeup gain so that I compensate for the volume loss due to compression.. oh wait, I can't do this..
3) ..need to check how it affects the dry signal. Oh damn, it got loud. Dial in a little bit of dry.
4) Try to adjust output/makeup gain. Damn, now it skewed the dry because it also got louder.
5) Adjust output again..
6) Adjust dry..
7) Correct for output.. again..
8.) Fuuuuuuuuuuuck!
9) Give up and buy a different plugin. :)

Okay, it's not that dramatic but how on earth you can think that is a more convenient workflow is just beyond me. It makes ZERO sense from a mixing point of view. The whole reason for the makeup gain is to be able to quickly A/B the levels of before and after processing. Now add here the dry signal into the mix.. if it's NOT a constant (aka affected by output/makeup gain) you suddenly juggle 3 balls instead of 2.

Makes. No. Sense.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

bmanic wrote: I just want to dial in an amount of compression, high or low, then I adjust the makeup gain so that it's again at equal level to the original (dry) signal. Then I simply tweak dry/wet to taste. I don't care if the actual ratio of dry/wet is perfectly 50/50 or 40/60 or whatever. I just tweak the knob until I get the transients of the original coming through the amount I need for the mix to sound good.
+1. That's the most logical way imo (also how it works in The Glue). It's easier to think about if you think of the mix knob as the "dry knob" i.e. its purpose is to blend back in some of the dry signal AFTER you're done with the compressing and matching the make-up gain for the COMPRESSED signal.

Bouroki wrote:
bmanic wrote: I just want to dial in an amount of compression, high or low, then I adjust the makeup gain so that it's again at equal level to the original (dry) signal. Then I simply tweak dry/wet to taste. I don't care if the actual ratio of dry/wet is perfectly 50/50 or 40/60 or whatever. I just tweak the knob until I get the transients of the original coming through the amount I need for the mix to sound good.
+1. That's the most logical way imo (also how it works in The Glue). It's easier to think about if you think of the mix knob as the "dry knob" i.e. its purpose is to blend back in some of the dry signal AFTER you're done with the compressing and matching the make-up gain for the COMPRESSED signal.
i think i am having a deja vu with the similar
blend design issue of arousor.
There was a near-riot about it in g earslutz back in may until
the developer was forced to make adjustments.

cfanyc wrote: i think i am having a deja vu with the similar
blend design issue of arousor.
There was a near-riot about it in g earslutz back in may until
the developer was forced to make adjustments.
yep and as much as I REALLY LIKE Arousor, I still find the Blend control is in a world of its own.
I avoid it unless essential.

Return to “Effects”