Allomerus - An Unexpected Journey

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

You certainly managed to pack a lot into this without it ever becoming overwhelming or confusing. I liked the haunting semi-abstract intro. When the drums, 'tron and guitar come in at 0:45, I was reminded of some of the earlier Porcupine Tree albums. I liked the section where the 'tron cut out leaving the organ exposed (if you catch my drift). At 3:18 the character of the piece changes, and the melody starts to take on an Eastern European or possibly Middle-Eastern character which is developed over the next minute-and-a-half. I liked the short "creepy" section that follows. The sounds fit together well and the percussion in this section is a treat. Back to a Middle-Eastern reprise before moving into the climactic finale. 9 minutes just flew by.

Was this inspired by Tolkien?

Good work :)

More Arabian Nights, imo.
Loving the mellotron!
A really excellent piece of music. Well mixed, too.
Give yourselves a pat on the back! :tu:

My favorite thing here are the sighing guitars reminiscent of Crimson's "Matte Kudesai." Good use of the trons.

I'm not fond of what I'll call the pseudo-ethnic belly dancing melodies. It's hard for a Westerner to pull this kind of thing off convincingly.

I think the drums are too distant and quiet in the mix.

There's a lot of variety in this enjoyable journey. Not a dull moment. :tu:

seismic1 wrote:You certainly managed to pack a lot into this without it ever becoming overwhelming or confusing. I liked the haunting semi-abstract intro. When the drums, 'tron and guitar come in at 0:45, I was reminded of some of the earlier Porcupine Tree albums. I liked the section where the 'tron cut out leaving the organ exposed (if you catch my drift). At 3:18 the character of the piece changes, and the melody starts to take on an Eastern European or possibly Middle-Eastern character which is developed over the next minute-and-a-half. I liked the short "creepy" section that follows. The sounds fit together well and the percussion in this section is a treat. Back to a Middle-Eastern reprise before moving into the climactic finale. 9 minutes just flew by.

Was this inspired by Tolkien?

Good work :)
Hi Tim, thanks for listening and your great comments. That bit with the 'tron cutting out was one of my favourite ideas too. ;) The middle section is meant to be the "unexpected journey" hence the change in character and key, complete with music for a chase scene. I did spend a lot of time making a video for this but in the end I think it's better for everyone to make up their own story.
Not inspired by Tolkien, although I do love the books...
Cheers,
John :)
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

Ayorinde wrote:More Arabian Nights, imo.
Loving the mellotron!
A really excellent piece of music. Well mixed, too.
Give yourselves a pat on the back! :tu:
Thanks Ayorinde! Much appreciated. :) When Apple introduced Mellotron into Logic Pro I was in heaven! :hihi:
Bandcamp

Frantz wrote:My favorite thing here are the sighing guitars reminiscent of Crimson's "Matte Kudesai." Good use of the trons.

I'm not fond of what I'll call the pseudo-ethnic belly dancing melodies. It's hard for a Westerner to pull this kind of thing off convincingly.

I think the drums are too distant and quiet in the mix.

There's a lot of variety in this enjoyable journey. Not a dull moment. :tu:
Thanks Frantz. We put so much stuff in this so everyone could find something they like. ;)

Interesting comment about the ethnic melodies, I know what you mean about doing it convincingly. However, I wanted to make a statement about a change in journey and I think it works as intended. The scale is called The Hungarian Minor scale or Gypsy minor scale. The name was enough for me to suggest an interesting journey.

Thanks for the comment about the drums, I'll give them another listen.
Cheers,
John :)
Bandcamp

I really liked the atmosphere of the song, especially in the intro! Really great shifts throughout the song and I really liked how you balanced out everything at a given time during the song, so it was interesting while still not overwhelming.
Great job! =)

nice composition and arrangement .. I liked the variable parts ... sounds good

Zaitch wrote:I really liked the atmosphere of the song, especially in the intro! Really great shifts throughout the song and I really liked how you balanced out everything at a given time during the song, so it was interesting while still not overwhelming.
Great job! =)
Thanks Zaitch! I tried to take the Pink Floyd approach of less is more and to let the track breath...
Bandcamp

markkuja wrote:nice composition and arrangement .. I liked the variable parts ... sounds good
Thanks Markku! Glad you enjoyed it. :)
Bandcamp

oh wow this is a cool tune! love the chord changes!

Jesse Gorter wrote:oh wow this is a cool tune! love the chord changes!
Thanks Jesse. I was having fun with the harmony on this as well as the melody so I am very pleased you picked up on this...
:)
Bandcamp

Enjoyed the small details and transitions a lot. Very cool, reminded me a little of early pink floyd. I really felt that the drums were much too quiet though, and perhaps needed a bright room sound - though that may be revealed when they come up in the mix. I was waiting for the epic drums! Could be just me though....great job all the same

jjmmuir wrote:Enjoyed the small details and transitions a lot. Very cool, reminded me a little of early pink floyd. I really felt that the drums were much too quiet though, and perhaps needed a bright room sound - though that may be revealed when they come up in the mix. I was waiting for the epic drums! Could be just me though....great job all the same
Thank you! I'll have another listen to it with regard to the drums. We have other tracks with epic drums, so this was meant to flow more... Thanks for your thoughts though. All the best! :)
Bandcamp

Return to “Music Cafe”