Ariana Grande Vocal

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello dear friends,
I wanna know how to mix a vocal like The Weekend by Ariana Grande?
I hear Smooth vocal on top of the mix, and doubled and maybe layered vocal in the song.
Would you please help me?
Thank you very much

1. Record with a condenser mic
2. High pass filter to get rid of mud
3. Compress
3.5. Parallel compression after that
4. Multiband compression on the highs to get that breathy, bright top end and tame the "sss" sounds

Use this signal chain on as many layered tracks as you want and balance the levels

nineofkings wrote:1. Record with a condenser mic
2. High pass filter to get rid of mud
3. Compress
3.5. Parallel compression after that
4. Multiband compression on the highs to get that breathy, bright top end and tame the "sss" sounds

Use this signal chain on as many layered tracks as you want and balance the levels
1.Any condendesor mic?
For example by using At2020 could we achieve this clear vocal?
2.Any especial Eq pluging do you recommend?or no difference?
3.how many compressor should I use?
At what ratio?
3.5Should I use the same compressor for my parallel compresing?
4.how should I do it correctly?any special techniques that help?

What is singnal chain?I dont know.
Would you please explain.and how many extra layers should I record ?

It sounds like you're looking for an exact formula. There is no exact formula, so I can only give you general tips.

1. Any good-enough condenser mic. AT2020 is good enough.
2. No difference, whatever you're most comfortable with
3. Use compression however you want. Generally high-ish ratios are common in pop, around 4:1 or 5:1.
3.5 Whatever can have a fast attack with minimal distortion. If your original compressor fits that description, feel free to use it.
4. Try to zero in on the breathy high end with the high band, and use a pretty fast attack. At this point the rest of the sound is so compressed you don't really need to use the other bands.

Signal chain just means every step between the sound that happens in the real world and the sound that you hear out of the speakers. The microphone, preamp, and any plugins are all part of the signal chain.

How many layers you record depends on how many the record needs.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, with all this compression, you can bring up the noise quite a bit, so I recommend using a noise gate as well.

nineofkings wrote:It sounds like you're looking for an exact formula. There is no exact formula, so I can only give you general tips.

1. Any good-enough condenser mic. AT2020 is good enough.
2. No difference, whatever you're most comfortable with
3. Use compression however you want. Generally high-ish ratios are common in pop, around 4:1 or 5:1.
3.5 Whatever can have a fast attack with minimal distortion. If your original compressor fits that description, feel free to use it.
4. Try to zero in on the breathy high end with the high band, and use a pretty fast attack. At this point the rest of the sound is so compressed you don't really need to use the other bands.

Signal chain just means every step between the sound that happens in the real world and the sound that you hear out of the speakers. The microphone, preamp, and any plugins are all part of the signal chain.

How many layers you record depends on how many the record needs.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, with all this compression, you can bring up the noise quite a bit, so I recommend using a noise gate as well.

Thank you very much

Would help if the singer was Ariana Grande too...

Return to “Production Techniques”