RELATED
PRODUCTS
Ardour

Ardour 5.1 is out, features and fixes list
at the link:

https://community.ardour.org/node/13890

https://community.ardour.org/node

Ardour 5.3 is new release

Is there any way to save and load fxp presets?
Is I understand it right, the wrapper is fxb centric. The save button saves to an fxb file that the plug may be using by default?

Is it possible to use the computer keyboard to play a midi instrument? In Logic this is called Musical Typing. You enable it with cmd-k or 'window > show musical typing.' In Ableton Live you click a keyboard icon.

Strange, i don't recall an open source program before not being free.. Isn't that partly the point of open source?

Yeah, it's a confusing topic apparently... but yes, that appears to be the most common expectation, without having to compile. However...
Doesn't "open source" just mean something is free of charge?

No. This is a common misconception about what "open source" implies, and the concept's implications are not only economic.

Open source software programmers can charge money for the open source software they create or to which they contribute. But in some cases, because an open source license might require them to release their source code when they sell software to others, some programmers find that charging users money for software services and support (rather than for the software itself) is more lucrative. This way, their software remains free of charge, and they make money helping others install, use, and troubleshoot it.

While some open source software may be free of charge, skill in programming and troubleshooting open source software can be quite valuable. Many employers specifically seek to hire programmers with experience working on open source software.

yes, i understood after doing some reading on it last night.
i stand corrected : (

Yeah. I pay them $12 a year ($1 a month), so I can get all of the updates without any hassle, which is far and away the least expensive decent pro level DAW I've ever owned. Feel like a cheapskate doing that tbh. :)

I have a coin jar (where I always empty coins in my pockets when I come home) that would probably support doing that with Ardour for probably... 15-20 years. :hihi:

nonseq wrote:Is it possible to use the computer keyboard to play a midi instrument? In Logic this is called Musical Typing. You enable it with cmd-k or 'window > show musical typing.' In Ableton Live you click a keyboard icon.
Hi, if you are using jackd, install vkeybd and/or vmpk,
I just tested the qwerty in vkeybd connected in Mixbus,
(which is based largely on ardour) playing U-he linux port of Podolski,
and it works, and the midi connection shows up in both mixbus and qjackctl
midi connections panels. vkeybd also has a reverb and chorus if desired.
Control vkeybd octaves when launching it like this

vkeybd --octave 6 etc

Should work for you too. vmpk may be newer/better,
so try it too. Some distros show fluidR3 soundfont
as a dependency, it's a pretty nice GM soundfont,
handy if you need a quick sample.

Ardour with jackd might need an alsa to jackd connector like a2jmidid
a2jmidid -j default will launch it, connect via midi connection panels.
Cheers
Last edited by glokraw on Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:19 pm, edited 5 times in total.

LawrenceF wrote: I have a coin jar (where I always empty coins in my pockets when I come home) that would probably support doing that with Ardour for probably... 15-20 years. :hihi:
I use cd spindle lids for coins, one for each type of coin. I almost bought
ardour for $50, but their paypal->creditcard interface was faulty,
so I bought mixbus instead, and happy with the purchase. But I'm also
feeling some guilt over failing to donate, but I don't /won't do a paypal
account, for donations. P.O. box via snailmail I'm fine with, but few
freeware or small shop devs provide such addresses.
Cheers

glokraw wrote:I use cd spindle lids for coins, one for each type of coin.
Cheers
That's a good idea actually. :)

Mine is a couple of big cookie jars, everything mixed in. When they fill up I typically just go to a local Coin Star machine and dump it all and get the cash. It obviously varies, the result, based on how much of it is quarters and dimes and not pennies but yeah, some of the totals have surprised me from time to time. :hihi:

and now i seem to have paid them a 'nominal sum' ( i.e. not much) and not recieved anything. karma i suppose..
: (

Go on their IRC channel and ask them, they're kinda always on there.

glokraw wrote:
nonseq wrote:Is it possible to use the computer keyboard to play a midi instrument? In Logic this is called Musical Typing. You enable it with cmd-k or 'window > show musical typing.' In Ableton Live you click a keyboard icon.
Hi, if you are using jackd, install vkeybd and/or vmpk,
I just tested the qwerty in vkeybd connected in Mixbus,
(which is based largely on ardour) playing U-he linux port of Podolski,
and it works, and the midi connection shows up in both mixbus and qjackctl
midi connections panels. vkeybd also has a reverb and chorus if desired.
Control vkeybd octaves when launching it like this

vkeybd --octave 6 etc

Should work for you too. vmpk may be newer/better,
so try it too. Some distros show fluidR3 soundfont
as a dependency, it's a pretty nice GM soundfont,
handy if you need a quick sample.

Ardour with jackd might need an alsa to jackd connector like a2jmidid
a2jmidid -j default will launch it, connect via midi connection panels.
Cheers
Thanks!

inkwarp wrote:Strange, i don't recall an open source program before not being free.. Isn't that partly the point of open source?
Yes, and no. The point about open source is that you have the freedom to use, modify, and even distribute, the program as you want, but not necessarily that it's gratis to get hold of. https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.en.html

Personally, I'm not too happy about the "distribute" part of open source though, and I don't think you should feel free to mass-distribute Ardour. Not that it's illegal, but it wouldn't be a nice thing to do. (same goes with the Radium music editor, which I'm selling, and is also open source)

EDIT: I was talking about so called "free software" here, as defined by the free software foundation, since you used the word "free", and ardour is this type of free open source software.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”