MIX CHALLENGE - MC25 September 2016 - Winners announced

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

You heard the man!

Let's kick off Mix Round 2 with 2 hours of extra time for mixing.
Round 2 will end on Sunday, 02-OCT-2016 11:59pm GMT+1/CEST

Thanks for your participation, and good luck for Round 2 :tu:

EDIT - FOOTNOTE:
We have a reference level recommendation for a reason. If that's not your thing, that's fine. There is still the process of manual loudness normalization (see my KVR marks). But no track should clip or exceed a maximum digital full scale peak of -1dBFS (see Participant Rules and FAQ section in the Rules/Guidelines)

This is a Mix Challenge, not a Mastering Challenge (yet). Having a suitable signal strength PRIOR to a possible mastering process, is just as essential. We do try to simulate a real-life scenario... if your mix is too loud, too squashed or clips even (and therefore has destroyed transients), this means bad news for the final touch up process (Pre Mastering, CD master, release). Please try to prevent that in the future. :idea:
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

ThePresent wrote: mwaudiprod

The delays on the vocals are a nice find but I think it’s a bit overdone. I can hear only one vocal track, the solo one. You did something tot he snare, it sounds more like a clap, no?
Yeah, maybe overdone. The other vocal stem sounds terrible and is pretty quiet. I enhanced the Snare with a Clap Sample.
Last edited by mwaudioprod on Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

People, please keep to the official rules! :x http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 3#p5798473

I can't download a file from Soundcloud without log in. Soundcloud should be excluded as a supplier!

mwaudioprod wrote:People, please keep to the official rules! :x http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 3#p5798473

I can't download a file from Soundcloud without log in. Soundcloud should be excluded as a supplier!

Well...i can download, if the file is marked as public and downloadable
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Klick on the download button, then you must log in to get the file.

:dog: :o :?

Please further discuss the following in the Gossip & Discussions thread...

SoundCloud implemented this... "feature" a couple of months back. I actually asked in the Gossip thread how we should handle this in the future. SoundCloud is comfortable in certain ways, like the instant preview once you upload anything. But a mandatory login is just a no-go indeed. And I can't create playlists/downloads without spending money on SoundCloud (the free account is limited on that end).

I'm currently thinking about using a folder on an FTP maybe (which in turn would also adds some extra work for us hosts). But I do(!) have to figure out ways for people to access it in a comfortable manner, so that the client can listen to the whole material, and without any chances of entries getting deleted by accident if somebody uploads something (or worst case scenario: somebody being like "you all suck - delete button!")

Might not be available in October yet - but I'm working on a solution.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

ThePresent wrote: Davias

Your voices sounded downright (too?) ABBA-ish, but to my ears too bright and telephonic. Overall your mix struck me as very bright and a bit nasal, compared to the other mixes. You made the fills nicely jump right out, and made a really great guitar entrance, thanks for that. Kick and bass though, sound overwhelming in the verses, to my ears.
Thanks for the review ^^
I had a hard time making decisions with the EQ and it ended that way after hearing some Abba on youtube, but I noted that the "best of" versions were much different than the originals something, like lowest quality somehow. At the end I was a bit lost so I decided to EQ again the mix to give it more old skool style (removing the low end, dulling everything) but also I thought I should be a bit more modern and make it a bit brighter than the 70s. I also noted that their drums were prominent in almost every of their songs, but maybe mine were a bit too much too :) all theses stuffs are easily fixable, except maybe EQ, always hard in my room. So maybe it is the nasal thing that was the biggest flaw ?
If you had some time I'd be curious to know what could be improved ;)

You are right about the drums and varying sound quality :) Seems like it was the good girl's dance music of that time? :D I noticed it when I referenced my mix along some tracks of theirs.
It was the overall sound (nasal, indeed) that made me decide to not enter you for 2nd round. I don't know why, maybe you boosted too much highs on several tracks?
Drums could be a bit less prominent in the verse and vocals rounded out more I guess.

ThePresent wrote:Okay, here are my results and feedback for the first round. Not to waste time on the ranking so here it is as the first item:

Next round challengers are (in alphabetical order):

AdityainHim
Davemcisaac
Jim Kennedy
kevin_gobin
Shoma
thiagoam 88
Vasdim

AditYainHim
This is a great radio-ready mix. Grooving, tight, I do not know what you did to the drumkit but it catches me, although a bit dry in production. The drums make the song move, especially the snare, wow. The balance is right, the fills and guitars are coming through. Please consider the following: the rev and delay on vocals, make it less like sung in a bathroom, but a bit smoother and rounder/wider, please less panning on cymbals and hats. Could you try a wider stereo image and see if the bass can get just a bit more prominent, without losing balance of course? The thing I wondered the most about your mix is the contrast between the dry-ish music and the wet vocals.

Wow! Thank you! Appreciate it! Thanks for your feedback.. I'll try to follow your order..
I will upload it in couple hours..

God bless

ThePresent wrote:You are right about the drums and varying sound quality :) Seems like it was the good girl's dance music of that time? :D I noticed it when I referenced my mix along some tracks of theirs.
It was the overall sound (nasal, indeed) that made me decide to not enter you for 2nd round. I don't know why, maybe you boosted too much highs on several tracks?
Drums could be a bit less prominent in the verse and vocals rounded out more I guess.
Thanks for the explanation ! ;)

Your comment made me smile because this is what my mom listened for jumping when I was a child :)
Here I focused a bit listening their lyrics (couldn't understand english at the time) and I find them very hardcore :D :D

I guess the nasal stuff should be a bump just upper the vocal range center (maybe 5Khz), not sure... I should read a book about mixing someday :D

OK, here is my mix in this round 2

According to feedback form song provider and learn from the other great mixer here..

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/dtc ... 1.mp3?dl=0

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/hk1 ... 1.wav?dl=0

God bless

Hi all,
this is my attempt to 2 Round:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/700 ... %20mix.mp3
Good luck to all.
VasDim

Here is my round 2 submission. Tried to address all feedback from ThePresent:

WAV: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/896 ... ennedy.wav
MP3: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/896 ... ennedy.mp3

Good luck!!
JimK

A friendly reminder:
Final day to submit your edit for Mix Round 2

Return to “Production Techniques”