KV331 SynthMaster fully ported to iOS

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Has anyone heard if/when this will be coming?

NB: I'm not interested in just the player, which I know is already on iOS. I'm talking about SynthMaster with all/most of the tweakability of the full-on desktop synth.
Last edited by themagicalkamja on Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

it will be a real pain to navigate through the pages & tweak the parameters.

phreaque wrote:it will be a real pain to navigate through the pages & tweak the parameters.
The magic word: tabs.

The iOS version of Propellerhead's Thor GUI is an excellent example of how a formidable synth with tons of parameters can be optimized for the iPad format.

didn't buy Thor, but had somehow a hard time dealing with z3ta ios.
Need some good GUI designer to come up with nice layout and inspiring in same time.

What is KV331 up to these days anyway? They're so silent since a couple of months...

chk071 wrote:What is KV331 up to these days anyway? They're so silent since a couple of months...
Perhaps it reached the perfection level. It is god of synths, and so fun to work on new patches :hyper:

First, iOS is not a good market if you want to earn some money with your flagship synth and make a living from it.
I think they also working on a "Synthmaster One" (or similar) as possible cross-platform thing, iOS included....maybe. This will be a bit more than a player but still not the full semi-modular synthmaster.
But you also can see stuff like this in their own forum here, facebook, twitter, Audiobus forum etc.
I often wished there were some of the bigger synths for iOS but i realized that it's still far away to be the right platform for this kind of tools.
Especially because people still bitching about 20 dollar is too much for a synth.
I can understand why developers won't do this.
But there is plenty about this stuff in the net too....

Lots to comment on here.
Cinebient wrote:First, iOS is not a good market if you want to earn some money with your flagship synth and make a living from it.
Debatable. Desktop SynthMaster is very reasonably priced. KV331's business model seems to rely more on selling preset expansion packs (repeated sales) than selling the synth itself (one-time purchase). Considering that, expanding market access to SynthMaster with an iOS app would actually be a wise move.
Cinebient wrote:I think they also working on a "Synthmaster One" (or similar) as possible cross-platform thing, iOS included....maybe. This will be a bit more than a player but still not the full semi-modular synthmaster.
Never heard of this. I'd like to learn more.
Cinebient wrote:I often wished there were some of the bigger synths for iOS
As do I. There are still some legit ports out there though: Thor, Z3TA+2, Cyclop, several Arturia synths, etc.
Cinebient wrote:but i realized that it's still far away to be the right platform for this kind of tools.
No it isn't. Admittedly the desktop workflow is more familiar to people so iPad music production comes with a learning curve. But it's very capable as a platform (full on DAW experience aside), at least for sound design.

There is already a thriving iOS-only music market with lots of professional quality iPad synths and samplers, as this forum demonstrates.

Rather than say "let's wait until the iOS music market becomes more established, then use/create synths for it", consumers and developers should go at it in the reverse way: "The market is not established enough, so let's use/create great products to encourage the dev community to make it a more viable platform with more options for connectivity." Chicken or egg, really.
Cinebient wrote:Especially because people still bitching about 20 dollar is too much for a synth.
I totally agree with you here. For a really high-quality, professional-sounding synth, a $20 or $30 price tag is more than justifiable. Especially when compared to the desktop equivalent, for which most people would pay 10 times more without blinking an eye.

But I digress... I'd like to keep this thread about a possible SynthMaster iOS port, not wax about the pros/cons of the iOS music scene.

themagicalkamja wrote:
Cinebient wrote:Especially because people still bitching about 20 dollar is too much for a synth.
I totally agree with you here. For a really high-quality, professional-sounding synth, a $20 or $30 price tag is more than justifiable. Especially when compared to the desktop equivalent, for which most people would pay 10 times more without blinking an eye.
Yes, that's why when there are equivalente versions for Mac/PC and iPad, developers have a hard time explaining why they are charging $99,00 or even more for the desktop version, and $15,00 for the iPad version. I personally cannot avoid to feel really pissed when I am asked $99,00 and a guy with an iPad (which, IMO, means he can spend more money than me), is asked $15,00. Things have to become even, one way or the other. Developers, beware :evil:
Fernando (FMR)

I was one of those who asked them for a full version.
I use(d) iOS for years and because of that i made my comments. I made about 200 tracks with iPhones and iPad until i hit the border of it every day. Of course it's a personal thing and of topic....sorry! Let's move on.
But i also asked Camel Audio (R.I.P.), U-he, Valhalla DSP....and a lot more in the past and recently but the answer was nearly the same.
You're right Synthmaster is pretty cheap (i got the player for 8$).
At least synths working better as sample libraries for iOS, so here might be a good future too on this platform to grow. Moog shows that it can work.
I just see it not soon (if ever) happening.
The biggest problem is the GUI maybe. You can't create iPad 12,9" Pro only apps (the biggest mistake of Apple for pro apps).
They had to support iPad Minis as well which would be horrible to use with tons of tabbing.
Yearly updates might break stuff and iOS is even moving forward faster to left "old" hardware behind. (Without really benefits for the workflow...it made even some steps back since iOS 6 for me).
More CPU and RAM is not everything.
I'm drifting away again.... :D
I wish just one day you could just buy a tool and choose your platform....Android, iOS, windows, macOS, linux...whatever.
But the app store is another thing to get solved then....

themagicalkamja wrote:
There is already a thriving iOS-only music market with lots of professional quality iPad synths and samplers, as this forum demonstrates.
Just the instruments forum alone is like 100 times as many posts per month is this forum is... this forum has very little use, so it is not demonstrating your point.

Of the 29 (non sticky) threads on the first page, 19 of them have only 0,1 or 2 replies. Only 1 thread on the front page even has a second page and the average # of replies per thread is less than 4. Then compare that with the instruments forum... It's like a ghost own in here.

pdxindy wrote:
themagicalkamja wrote:
Just the instruments forum alone is like 100 times as many posts per month is this forum is... this forum has very little use, so it is not demonstrating your point.

Of the 29 (non sticky) threads on the first page, 19 of them have only 0,1 or 2 replies. Only 1 thread on the front page even has a second page and the average # of replies per thread is less than 4. Then compare that with the instruments forum... It's like a ghost own in here.
True, but KVR is not the best place for iOS for sure.
There are iOS forums like Audiobus where some threads have a few thousand views and a lot posts after a short time.
In general iOS is still a niche in a niche but i'm sure it will grow a bit more (even when i wished some of the developers like Moog would make windows10 multi-touch apps instead).

There's a snap back question though, what's the possibility to have VST wrapper for iOS now?

phreaque wrote:There's a snap back question though, what's the possibility to have VST wrapper for iOS now?
I would be quite happy if Apple would just allow me to use all my iOS music apps on my mac. Sure there would be a way if they wanted.
Even when they are made for multi-touch they would be all usable.
I don't think we will ever get a usable wrapper anyway.

Indeed, there's a way around, but from the upper hand apparently.
What about the reversed case "iOS app to a VST" as in Sunrizer? The guys did a total re-coding?

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”