Dedicated laptop for Live gigs - any opinions?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm thinking of purchasing MacBook Air for exclusive live performance purpose.
I use Ableton Live and my projects include: about 10 stereo audio tracks, few soft synths (mostly native Live synths, with one or two Arturia synths, but nothing too complex) and one audio track with live microphone input, that I process through some effects.
I like that the Air is small and portable, so that is the reason I'm looking for opinions on that particular laptop. I also like the fact that it has SSD, since I ran into issues of Hard drive overloading when I was using my previous laptop with the same project.
My biggest issue is with the CPU - will it be enough to process these things without overloading?
Also, I would be using my Focusrite Saffire audio interface which runs through FireWire, so I would need Thunderbolt to FireWire adapter. I'm still not sure whether this is reliable enough...

Thankfully computers are getting pretty powerful, so as long as your spending enough(which you are) I wouldn't worry too much about CPU so long as your doing live performances. Hyper-threaded dual cores should be satisfactory. Though I am a mac guy myself I wouldn't reccomend a macbook air for anything music especially live performances. The issues here are build quality, and expansion. The macbook air has legendarily crappy build quality. Pull it out of your gig bag one day and you just might find it bent. Might still function, but you'll be lucky if the screen works after that. Plus your gonna need more than that single USB port unless you plan on only plugging in your interface and performing using only your keyboard and trackpad. You at least need to have a USB port dedicated to your interface and at least one to split between any controllers you have. That being said, In your price range I would go have a look at anything made by Lenovo. Lenovo is known for building their laptops like tanks. I actually have a friend who used to own one which he threw out of a moving vehicle(long story) and it survived with only a barely noticeable scratch on the top. Dell and Asus also have some really good quality stuff available. Stay away from HP, Gateway or Acer. And as long as its a dedicated performance machine, stay away from apple. Not hating on apple in any way, I'm typing this on my beloved macbook pro, Just wouldn't use it as a dedicated live performance laptop.
Might come across some different responses, but this is just my two cents.

MY macbookpro from 2011 ish always worked like a charm. Still does. Ableton Live, audio interface + 2 controllers.

The current macbookpro's are good but apple is taking all the "pro" stuff out of them sadly. Leaves you with a lot less connectivity, unless you're willing to shell out and have a bunch of transformers / hubs hanging on the side.

Maybe have a look at laptop PC options from SCAN computers. I bought one from them last year. They were very helpful and were able to find me a chassis with a 17" screen, big enough to take 3 1TB SSDs with i7 processor, 24 GB RAM, 2 USB3 ports, 1 USB2, 1 combo USB port and a BluRay reader/writer. It's mainly for studio work, but It seems sturdy enough to me, altho' I've not gigged with it. I'm running Win 8.1 and Ableton Live 9 Suite / Push2 mainly ...

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”