Exponential Audio Nimbus Reverb

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Exponential Audio: Nimbus

$99 for the upgrade? Too expensive. If I didn't have Phoenix I would have bought it right away. I wonder why they don't offer a special upgrade price for Phoenix. Really strange! Now it feels like it was foolish to buy Phoenix.

Fabfilter are much better at this... If they would release a reverb...

Lol

I'd prefer to get my reverbs from a guy who has spent decades designing class-leading hardware and software algorithms. The upgrade process may be a little clumsy but the reverb is top-notch. PhoenixVerb has been my go-to "transparent" reverb for a couple of years now, but Nimbus takes it to a new level!

Even if you don't use some of the Warp options (like distortion and bitcrushing), the revamped filter section and the dynamics tools can really help the reverb sit in the mix while keeping it natural. For example, I love using expansion on drums so that only the louder elements go through the reverberator. It's lots of fun to play with!

Yeh, Valhalla - 50 bucks and no copy protection :-)
I still haven't tried anything from Exp Audio as you need an iLok 2 to even demo...I have an iLok 1, not upgrading to try a demo!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Yes, I could buy 2 Valhalla plugins for the price of the upgrade. The FAQ of Nimbus is a bit ironic:
"Yes. It sounds exactly like PhoenixVerb, but only if you haven't used any of the new parameters. All of the PhoenixVerb presets have been imported into NIMBUS."

Well, I know Michael has a legacy. But I doubt that he will make innovative reverb plugins when his 'new' reverb plugin is a sort of updated PhoenixVerb. And very disappointing, no special upgrade price for PhoenixVerb users.

kiezum wrote:Yes, I could buy 2 Valhalla plugins for the price of the upgrade. The FAQ of Nimbus is a bit ironic:
"Yes. It sounds exactly like PhoenixVerb, but only if you haven't used any of the new parameters. All of the PhoenixVerb presets have been imported into NIMBUS."

Well, I know Michael has a legacy. But I doubt that he will make innovative reverb plugins when his 'new' reverb plugin is a sort of updated PhoenixVerb. And very disappointing, no special upgrade price for PhoenixVerb users.

According to your logic if you have visited Belgium you have seen whole Europe, because Belgium is a part of Europe. :dog:

using your analogy:

I bought a ticket to see belgium for 127 euro. But now I can see whole Europe for an extra 99 euro. That's 226 euro for whole Europe.

But there's an introduction price for whole europe for 129 euro!

I wonder if the travel agency cares about it's customers who have bought a ticket to Belgium.

Prefer the red light district in Amsterdam but that's just me. Very impressive view of the canals there.

kiezum wrote:using your analogy:

I bought a ticket to see belgium for 127 euro. But now I can see whole Europe for an extra 99 euro. That's 226 euro for whole Europe.

But there's an introduction price for whole europe for 129 euro!

I wonder if the travel agency cares about it's customers who have bought a ticket to Belgium.
This analogy of you leaves out the factor of time.

I bought Phoenix when it came out and since then i used it in every single project, so Phoenix was a reliable help in earning my money.
If you bought Phoenix 2 weeks ago, i can understand your frustration. In that case you could write Michael an email.
Look, i also would be happy about a bigger discount for users of the Exponential Audio bundle, but in the end i don't care that much since I love the quality of this stuff and if i can contribute to the wellfare of a small but excellent company, then it's ok.

The frustrating part is that instead of an upgrade (which it really is: there's no reason to own Nimbus and PhoenixVerb together), we are forced to pay $99 within two weeks, or suffer a penalty of an additional $100.

kiezum wrote:Yes, I could buy 2 Valhalla plugins for the price of the upgrade. The FAQ of Nimbus is a bit ironic:

There is one other sting in the tail. The upgrade licence for Nimbus is NFR. If you want the ability to sell it on if you find you don't need it, you need to buy the full version. From what I can tell you can't even sell Phoenix+NImbus together (which would seem to be the fairest way to approach this if Michael really wants to go down this route).

For a reverb that adds a few convenience features that are mostly achievable with a compressor/expander on the send plus some additional control over early reflection, it's not exactly screaming "great deal, must buy" to me.

Going by Michael's response here I wonder if it isn't a techical limitation in their discount system that prevented them from giving PhoenixVerb owners a special upgrade price.
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showthr ... p=12159441

Either way it is a bit of a slap in the face, as mentioned given that $99 could buy 2 Valhallas, Dune 2 on sale, The Drop or any number of plugins, $99 to upgrade from Phoenix to an NFR Nimbus is out of the question (for me).
If I only had R2 or Excalibur $99 is a great price though and I'd probably jump on it.

jezjez wrote:Going by Michael's response here I wonder if it isn't a techical limitation in their discount system that prevented them from giving PhoenixVerb owners a special upgrade price.
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showthr ... p=12159441
You have to fill in a form to get the upgrade: it looks to be done pretty much by hand right now. So, I can't see why a special discount for Phoenix owners would be out of the question and to have a crossgrade deal for the others. It seems to me it's roughly the same amount of admin overhead to check the account for which plugins are owned as having to check the account in the first place. It's probably more to do with the complexity of maintaining multiple prices for the same thing over a long period of time.

Personally, my solution would be to make the crossgrade offer time-limited and keep the upgrade option open for much longer.
jezjez wrote:Either way it is a bit of a slap in the face, as mentioned given that $99 could buy 2 Valhallas, Dune 2 on sale, The Drop or any number of plugins, $99 to upgrade from Phoenix to an NFR Nimbus is out of the question (for me).
If I only had R2 or Excalibur $99 is a great price though and I'd probably jump on it.
I'm wondering whether the same thing going to happen to R2? There are bits of Nimbus that would make just as much sense added to the modulated reverb and looking at the Nimbus feature set, I wonder why (other than keeping R2 alive), chorus modulation was not simply treated as another set of Warp parameters for Nimbus.

I love my Phoenix but paying a hundred bucks for some tail modulation isn't my idea of a deal. :dog: No thanks, I don't think so. $49, maybe.

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

I believe the chorus/modulation is a part of the reverb algorithm itself, not just a chorus slapped on the end. The PhoenixVerb algorithm is specifically designed not to have those artifacts, so I understand why there's no modulation.

I do hope Michael has something special in mind for the R2 algorithm. I personally would love the addition of the 480-type Random Hall modulation for when I want that type of sound.

Some things in Nimbus can be done with other plugins, for sure. But users of EA products know that they are designed for speed. The separate filtering of the early and late sections is not something you can do after the fact, and that's something I've been wanting with the PhoenixVerb algorithm. Filtering and early reflections patterns are very important to me for realistic room sounds. Also the reverb tail delay is something you can't do with PhoenixVerb unless you use two instances, which is something I have had to do in the past.

I bought Phoenix a couple of years ago and definitely got more than $199 use out of it. That's when I first bought an iLok and I don't regret it! The EA reverbs are some of my most-used plugins, and being able to quickly dial in the sound I need is one thing that makes them so great.

Instant purchase. I love my Valhalla and UAD reverbs, and Nimbus just took the top spot. This reverb just melts in and creates space. Beautiful.

I can't can't seem to scroll through presets with my keyboard in Studio One v3 on a Mac. Anyone figure this out yet?
Bitwig Certified Trainer

Return to “Effects”