4k TV GUI lag in Cubase

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Cubase Pro 13

I'm using a 4k TV, HDMI2.0, 60hz, 3840x2160. Everything runs smoothly, no mouse lag, but when I click and drag MIDI notes in Cubase 8.5 they drag behind and it's very choppy. I am using an AMD Radeon RX460, the cheapest card I could find with HDMI2.0, just to test this setup.

Is anyone running C8 at 4k/60hz smoothly?

What is most likely causing this?

I'm considering borrowing a high end video card to see if that's the issue but I'm curious if it may be Cubase itself or something else. If anyone has any expertise in this I'd love to hear your thoughts! Let me know if I can provide any additional info.

Thanks
Henry

Windows 10
AMD 8core 4ghz
32GB RAM
Cubase 8.5
43" LG 43UH6100 4k

HDMI isn't low latency for audio, that's a consideration. Youll need a decent ASIO card.

Using Cubase in 4k via an Nvidia 1070 and Acer Predator monitor here with no lag. That is via display port though. HDMI limits the refresh to 20 fps.
FT

flametop wrote: HDMI limits the refresh to 20 fps.
Your right that HDMI 1.4 limits it, but OP mentioned he picked a card with HDMI 2.0 and that supports 4k 60fps.

flametop wrote:Using Cubase in 4k via an Nvidia 1070 and Acer Predator monitor here with no lag. That is via display port though. HDMI limits the refresh to 20 fps.
Thanks for the response. Did you have any trouble getting things to work with displayport? I've tried it with my Nvidia 770, which is supposed to be able to handle 4k/60hz over dp, but screen goes dark/flashes. I only ask because I've seen a million posts about Nvidia/displayport issues but no solutions. Thanks again.

No, I had no problems with the 1070. It ran my old non-4k monitor ok over DVI and then I bought a new 4k monitor and the display port worked first time.

My only problem with the move to 4k is trying to run a reasonable dual screen setup with Cubase. I'm using my old HD monitor as a 2nd screen. As the GUI all scales for looking correct on the 4k monitor, everything appears over-large on the 2nd monitor. I have not found any tweak to let windows scale differently for each monitor. Guess I need two 4k monitors :)
FT

IMHO you should never plan on using HDMI with 4k as a permanent solution, you should be using displayport. But it sounds like the issue is more related to the graphics power. I would go ahead and give that high end GPU a run to find out if it works. If that doesn't work, it may be an issue related to cubase. Go try out another DAW and see if you have the same issue. It may or may not just be a simple bug fix away on steinberg's part.

Hi zbest56, I am interesting in your experience with HDMI 2.0 and 4k monitors and why you do not recommend that setup. Can you provide specifics? I am helping a fellow audio geek with his system. He wants to use a 4k TV which only has HDMI inputs (no display ports). I personally use a dual 4k system with display-ports but your post is the first that I have heard of issues with HDMI 2.0 and 4K monitors. With thanks - Scotty.
zbest56 wrote:IMHO you should never plan on using HDMI with 4k as a permanent solution, you should be using displayport. But it sounds like the issue is more related to the graphics power. I would go ahead and give that high end GPU a run to find out if it works. If that doesn't work, it may be an issue related to cubase. Go try out another DAW and see if you have the same issue. It may or may not just be a simple bug fix away on steinberg's part.

Scotty wrote:Hi zbest56, I am interesting in your experience with HDMI 2.0 and 4k monitors and why you do not recommend that setup. Can you provide specifics? I am helping a fellow audio geek with his system. He wants to use a 4k TV which only has HDMI inputs (no display ports). I personally use a dual 4k system with display-ports but your post is the first that I have heard of issues with HDMI 2.0 and 4K monitors. With thanks - Scotty.

Allow me to clarify first off, I was reffering to the use as a PC monitor only. Unfortunetly for some of us, HDMI is the only option, especially when actually being used as a TV. The reason I say to stay away from HDMI is because its never nearly as friendly with super high resolutions. The latest iteration of displayport supports 8k at 60hz, which we are still way far away from having at our desktops. HDMI only added support for 4k at 60hz in the past 3 years where as displayport added it back in 09, and can even go up to 120hz nowadays. Basically DP is garanteed to work with the latest and greatest 100% of the time, because they are always ahead of the game. And if it doesn't, theres always MST technology which HDMI doesn't support. HDMI is always playing catch up and as far as the PC monitor industry goes, its a dying breed so its better IMHO for us to move on and let it die out, and leave it to the TV industry.

zbest56 wrote:IMHO you should never plan on using HDMI with 4k as a permanent solution, you should be using displayport. But it sounds like the issue is more related to the graphics power.
actually technically there's nothing between hdmi2 and displayport - bandwidth is bandwidth and both will run 4k@60 just fine

as for the gpu power - the OPs card is far from low powered and it's not as if he's running 3d intensive applications that will load it.

Personally my guess is the use of a tv as a monitor - tv's are notorious for lag introduced by the additional processing they do on video (upscaling, sharpening etc). If the tv has a 'game' setting that will generally be the lowest lag setting (least processing) - enable it and see if the issue is reduced.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”