The story of the Q and the Largo

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This is just pointless semantic quibbling. Blofeld is "based on" the Q, and so is Largo, either directly or indirectly. So is Massive. And Komplexer. Do they all sound the same? No.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Right. :tu:

deastman wrote:This is just pointless semantic quibbling. Blofeld is "based on" the Q, and so is Largo, either directly or indirectly. So is Massive. And Komplexer. Do they all sound the same? No.
Well it's not semantics it's marketing maybe. I don't think the term mirror is ambiguous. There is no other way to interpret it than a duplicate. Why do you want to impute a different meaning or read between the lines there? I'm just going by what Waldorf have said. If they wanted to say "based on the Q" or whatever they would have said it. But they didn't say that. They didn't say "based on" they said "mirror". Why do you feel like you have to explain what they meant and in doing so change what they actually said?

nevernamed wrote:I don't think the term mirror is ambiguous. There is no other way to interpret it than a duplicate.
Can a mirror change or distort the original?

nevernamed wrote:
deastman wrote:This is just pointless semantic quibbling. Blofeld is "based on" the Q, and so is Largo, either directly or indirectly. So is Massive. And Komplexer. Do they all sound the same? No.
Well it's not semantics it's marketing maybe. I don't think the term mirror is ambiguous. There is no other way to interpret it than a duplicate. Why do you want to impute a different meaning or read between the lines there? I'm just going by what Waldorf have said. If they wanted to say "based on the Q" or whatever they would have said it. But they didn't say that. They didn't say "based on" they said "mirror". Why do you feel like you have to explain what they meant and in doing so change what they actually said?
I suggest you simply look for other options then. :shrug: Where's the point in ranting over marketing, when it's so straight forward that you just don't dig the sound, and believe that it's different than what was proposed on the boxing. I don't think so, but then, it's your money that's about to be spent.

Gosh both of you are rather eager to explain to me Waldorf's definition of a mirror. I should hope to have such a loyal following should I become a hardware vendor. I guess we've all become acclimatised and it's ok for marketing departments to say just about anything irrespective of substance.

I simply think that you are wrong, and your insisting that Waldorf lied when marketing Largo also seems kind of pointless to me, when you simply can go out, and get the Q you've demo'd in that shop. You argue that Waldorf claimed that Largo sounds exactly like a Q. Well, that's not what they said. They said that it mirrors both Blofeld's and Q's technology. That could mean even taking a small piece of Q's algorithms, and implementing it in Largo, and the rest could have nothing at all do with a Q. If you like the Q so much better, and think that Largo sounds nothing like it, why not just go for the Q. :shrug: I think Largo has a lot of the Waldorf characteristic sound, but everyone has a different preception in that regard, i guess.

You think that I am wrong in my interpretation of Waldorf's official product description and your line of reasoning is your own interpretation of Waldorf's official product description?

No. I think you're wrong in manifesting your own interpretation as the ultimate truth. Further, i think it's quite ridiculously to read out of "mirrors the technology" that the synth has to sound the same. As i wrote, i can just implement the Q wavetables, which is the case here, and even say it "features" Q technology, not only that it "mirrors". I don't know why you're so eager to prove their marketing wrong. Especially when you can just go out and buy the Q.

The Blofeld actually has a more mature mod matrix than the Q or microQ.
And unlike the uQ, it has M1, M2, etc mod slots that actually work!
IMHO, the Blofeld is a future classic.
A Q is a Q, a Blofeld is a Blofeld!

Is there a better way of saving a preset in Largo...

I'm having to name it in the Largo interface, then re-enter the name in the preset folder?

Takes a while longer than it should, unless there's a quicker method?

Cheers

If you are comparing the Q and the blo you should know they were made by two different companies. The q was the old waldorf, which was sold to a long time employee who's first product was the blo from the new waldorf.

Having said that about OLD and NEW Waldorf.
If you read the Q/uQ/Manuals,
the similarities are striking.

Let's see if the Blofeld II (if ever)
can continue down the Blofeld I path
of coolness IMHO.
To me, it is a programmers synth,
you have to coax the sound out of it
by careful crafting.

It is like a Helical VA (With a twist!)

Don't quite get the thing about the "new" and "old" Waldorf. Yes, they sound different (surprise surprise, why would you buy a new model otherwise...), but they're all very similar in character. Hell, even their analog synths sound like Waldorf. If anything, then their newer stuff sounds more refined and "modern" to my ears. If that's your kind of thing of course.

Dasheesh wrote:If you are comparing the Q and the blo you should know they were made by two different companies. The q was the old waldorf, which was sold to a long time employee who's first product was the blo from the new waldorf.

If you want to dig that deep, you perhaps ought dig at the right place. The development team of both companies is largely identical.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Return to “Instruments”