New Offering from Hideaway Studio: Chromatix!

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello everyone...

As always, many thanks for your kind feedback and I entirely share people's frustration with FastSpring but I'm afraid there is very little I can do about it, and as others have said, it seems its the way everything is going to become in due course for commercial on-line downloads across the world.

I just wanted to take this opportunity to highlight a key feature that some customers have overlooked...

Chromatix features a 4-voice/partial layering engine calling up a bank of 56 multi-sampled instruments.

If you click on the LCD display above each channel you will gain access to a pull down menu allowing you to select the voice/partial of your choice. There are two different banks of sounds assigned to channels 1 & 3 and 2 & 4. This is designed to encourage layering of different elements without having to sift through a menu that barely fits on the screen.

The number of permutations across all four channels is pretty mind boggling but if you throw in the fact that each channel has its own ADSR, continuously variable EQ curve control "Tone", LFO, Panning and velocity sensitivity controls the scope for some pretty complex velocity-sensitive evolving layers is significant.

It is also worth pointing out that any sound patch you dial up in the layering engine can be saved for loading later by simply saving the instrument (.nki file).

Similarly you can select which room emulation you wish to use in the effects section by clicking on the LCD display at the top. Just be aware that some of huge reverbs available may cause glitches/pops on machines with marginal CPU bandwidth.
Last edited by HideawayStudio on Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Home of Novachord #346...

One other little thing that is often overlooked is that its possible to very simply run your way through demo instrument patches by clicking on the small arrows to the right of the instrument name:

Home of Novachord #346...

No problem, Dan - I was having an off day.

Don't you love the Government (or is it the EU)?

I should say that one thing I love about your products is the wealth of information that you give about the original hardware and its history. Keep up the good work.
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

Nice one!

Can't wait to dive deeper into exploring the sounds on this one.

Excellent work, man, it keeps getting better and better. (And it's been great all the way!)

M:)

Bought this last week -well into double figures with my Hideaway sound sets now and this is right up there with the best of them!

I've never actually got my hands near a Rhodes Chroma, but I have had the privilege of hearing one in concert on a couple of occasions and this sample set captures the warm, powerful sound very well indeed.

What I've always particularly liked about the original Chroma's sound is its potential for complexity and movement - that layering system! Dan has captured this aspect perfectly -as always, the GUI is superb - simple and intuitive, with the layers feature adding lots of options for experimenting and creating your own sounds.

Already using some of the sounds in a new piece and starting to create my own patches!

Favourite presets so far:

A New Order - big, bold sound.
Cryofluxer - the movement amongst those layers
Montreal Horns - already using this one in a fanfare
Edge Strings - nice intimate 'chamber' feel
Galaxy Horns - huge, warm sound
Majestic Strings - title says it all
Massiva - excellent swirling pad
Sample Hold Organ - just a great sound that grabs you straight away.

https://soundcloud.com/hideaway-studio/chromatix-demo

sublime. majestic. flat out gorgeous.

I've spent about an hour just previewing patches, and I'm only through the "N"s. :)

I can only hope to compose pieces that are worthy of these sounds.
"The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." - Carl Jung

For anyone interested, I have posted a review of Chromatix here:

http://soundbytesmag.net/hideawaystudiochromatix/

Not that anyone needs being told how cool Hideaway sounds are, but there is a bit of background about the hardware that readers might find of interest.

Enjoy.

Interesting back story on the Chroma... I wasn't aware of all that. I also can't believe how much effort went into restoring this particular unit. Very impressive! I'm looking forward to checking out the demos when time permits.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

I've been playing around with Chromatix for some time now and I think this is the best Sample-library I've purchased for Kontakt.
Being the restless guy I am, I usually make small tweaks to existing patches to suit my needs.

But Chromatix have made me make quite a number of sounds of my own. (If you know some of the latest releases from Hideaway you're also aware that the way you can build sounds with different layers of samples isn't new, So I've had the opportunity to make sounds this way already, in other libraries.) But there's something about the Rhodes Chroma that appeals to my taste and makes me dive deeper and deeper into a search for new sounds. Thanks Hideaway!

I know I've already made a comment on this library further up, but I haven't used any other sounds for nearly two weeks now and I thought Chromatix (or Dan) deserved a 'thank you'.

M:)

15 months since this release now, hope Hideaway Studio will continue putting out sample libs :pray:

Numanoid wrote:15 months since this release now, hope Hideaway Studio will continue putting out sample libs :pray:
You're absolutely right, Numanoid, as Chromatix is da shiznit.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”