Tape Emulation Plugins

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ayorinde wrote:
djmino02 wrote:I found that what I'm really looking for is a saturation plugin.
Time a thread title change. 8)
This is the start of a whole "new" discussion.
Try Satson/Klanghelm (inc the freebie).
I believe Audio Deluxe has IK's Saturator X on sale today for $29. I haven't used it because I have a number of saturation options, but if Bmanic says it's pretty good then I trust it.

Well, I took the plunge and got the Twin USB for UAD plugins. I guess it was about time to upgrade from the Fast Track Pro.

Sweetwater has a great promotion going where you get 6 plugins for $116.5 each. They also do 24 month 0% financing too!

bmanic wrote:
Anyhow, I hope I understood your post wrong but in case I didn't: Gain staging, in the analogue modeled plugin world we live in, is no joke.
What I mean.. is that however I gain stage my mixes with these plugins.. they all sound pretty crap to me. Bypassing them is infinitely better ;) Their sonic character (ie. the subtlest of subtle distortions) is there no matter how you gain stage - and I've still to be impressed by any plugin that tries to give the effect of tape or consoles for that matter (well, apart from Airwindows Console4 - that is awesome).
Last edited by do_androids_dream on Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

chk071 wrote:but i still prefer Saturation knob.
That's one of very few saturation plugin I have in my plugin folder.. I quite like Voxengo's Tube Amp too for some things.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

I would describe the impact of the UAD ATR 102 to the masterbus like this:

- Sit down and do your very best mix ever
- insert the ATR 102 just before the limiter, add some hiss and choose the right tape
- crank up record or repro a little bit (now you think "YEAH")
- disable the plug and feel like an ugly loudmouth
- enable it again and think "F*ck it, that´s why I gave them all my money"
The average bored guy

It's true, tape plugins on the master bus are generally not a good idea unless you really want to impart a kind of lofi vibe. For anything clean and punchy I'd say no.

On individual tracks though it can really be a secret weapon.

Dreaming of Ferric 64-bit :D

do_androids_dream wrote:
bmanic wrote:
Anyhow, I hope I understood your post wrong but in case I didn't: Gain staging, in the analogue modeled plugin world we live in, is no joke.
What I mean.. is that however I gain stage my mixes with these plugins.. they all sound pretty crap to me. Bypassing them is infinitely better ;) Their sonic character (ie. the subtlest of subtle distortions) is there no matter how you gain stage - and I've still to be impressed by any plugin that tries to give the effect of tape or consoles for that matter (well, apart from Airwindows Console4 - that is awesome).
Ah I hear ya. Yeah, the overall tone/sound of the plugin doesn't change of course. What you are probably hearing is what some people call "the plugin sound". I'm actually not sure what this thing is but I'm currently leaning towards aliasing being the main enemy and oversampling with it's filtering causing some kind of sound/feeling itself.

Have you had a chance to try any of the Aqua plugins or heard any Nebula programs? Those are the only ones that do not have "that plugin" sound.

The problem is that I'm double blind checked myself so many times, and failed (!!), yet I'm still convinced that there is something to it. It's very confusing. :)
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

MogwaiBoy wrote:It's true, tape plugins on the master bus are generally not a good idea unless you really want to impart a kind of lofi vibe. For anything clean and punchy I'd say no.

On individual tracks though it can really be a secret weapon.

Dreaming of Ferric 64-bit :D
Oh... The ATR is wax and polish to your Lamborghini.
Making your mix crisp and open, not to say 3-dimensional! Read the user-ratings on the uad site.
http://www.uaudio.com/review/ampex-atr-102/?rating=5

While I´m at it: The EL7 Fatso on the masterbus gives punch like I don´t know.
And it emulates Tape. Ok it´s a compressor on the other hand.
The average bored guy

bite_me wrote:I would describe the impact of the UAD ATR 102 to the masterbus like this:

- Sit down and do your very best mix ever
- insert the ATR 102 just before the limiter, add some hiss and choose the right tape
- crank up record or repro a little bit (now you think "YEAH")
- disable the plug and feel like an ugly loudmouth
- enable it again and think "F*ck it, that´s why I gave them all my money"
So, I take it you're not a fan of the ATR.

What are your thoughts on the Oxide Tape Recorder, FATSO Jr./Sr. Tape Sim. & Compressor, and Studer A800 Multichannel Tape Recorder Plug-In?

If you have an UAD card you can test them.
Fatso is a very useful tool for (not only) fatten up the drumbus or masterbus, lessen sharpness/harshness, give warmth and enhance subtle bass by adding harmonics. Fatso is great for liveless vocals, giving a slight "inyourface touch" to it. You can use it stereo and mono - means you can treat both sides individually. You can compress material without reducing the lows by using the hipass sidechain filter.
I use the buss compression mode all the time. Mostly I just turn up the input and add a very little compression. 299 bucks? A lot of money! You have to know.

Studer A800 is good for use on single channels. You might need a quadcard then! I don´t use it very often.

Oxide tape I don´t have. I own the Studer and the Ampex, which maybe is UAD´s best plugin.

This is 1000 bucks right now. Damn. See what´s right for you. They are very good but overpriced.
Know your weapons and you can make good mixes without them.
The average bored guy

How would the Two (DUO) SHARC DSP processors in the Twin Duo would handle UAD Plugins?

I'm looking at the Oxide Tape Recorder, FATSO Jr./Sr., Studer A800, Ampex, Galaxy Echo, and Manley Massive Passive.

Our latest plugin, Wow Control, a tape-based modulation plugin is officially out today. If you're looking for something slightly different in an analog tape plugin, I'd highly recommend checking out a demo: 3 tape machines (15 IPS, 7.5 IPS, Cassette) & some very deep wow/flutter and randomization options.

devkerr wrote:Our latest plugin, Wow Control, a tape-based modulation plugin is officially out today. If you're looking for something slightly different in an analog tape plugin, I'd highly recommend checking out a demo: 3 tape machines (15 IPS, 7.5 IPS, Cassette) & some very deep wow/flutter and randomization options.
PC vst please?

Selfik wrote:PC vst please?
We're workin on it. PC support is our next big project

djmino02 wrote:How would the Two (DUO) SHARC DSP processors in the Twin Duo would handle UAD Plugins?

I'm looking at the Oxide Tape Recorder, FATSO Jr./Sr., Studer A800, Ampex, Galaxy Echo, and Manley Massive Passive.
Look at this chart:http://www.uaudio.com/support/uad/compa ... chart.html
Long time I was only working with a solo laptop. I only used UAD plugins. That was my most creative time ever. I was forced to bounce the send channels and the channels themselves. I did mega mixes.
Now I own a quad pcie card and a desktop computer, izotope, soundtoys, stuff and stuff.
The bad side of a pcie card: LATENCY! In that moment I use my UAD´s, MIDI comes late in the keyboard playing, no matter on which channel the plugs are. Especially when the Ampex is inserted - guess the Manley will be like that, too. It´s the oversampling.
So, while making music UAD makes no sense to me. When I´m mixing with no Midi needed - best.
Didn´t had that issue with the solo laptop. It´s a pcie thing. Satellites may not have this issue too.
The average bored guy

Return to “Effects”