consistent dynamics across tracks

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So I have a few tracks I wanted to release together, and as I went over the master channels' waveforms I started to realize that a lot of them varied a noticable amount in dynamics, more so than maybe I wanted as it meant some tracks were quieter than others.

Normally when I mix and master my tracks I don't put any compression on the master as I don't like how that sounds every time I've tried it and I prefer to just compress each channel individually to get it to sit in the mix how I want (so some quieter elements tend to be more compressed but they tend to be things like electric guitars ect so that's normal anyways).

Now I've considered that I could compress some of my louder instruments more, but often when I do that the compression changes the character of the sound in a way I don't like or sometimes it leaves undesirable distortion from the limiting.

This is typically my go-to compression but not always the one I use: http://www.kvraudio.com/product/gcomp-by-gvst (though I sometimes feel like it isn't doing much, I notice it doesn't seem to distort the sound either and helps reduce the dynamics of stuff like my choirs that get buried otherwise)

I'm looking around for some new compression software since I'm aware it might just be the quality of my compressors on that end. But I kind of feel that maybe the style I do (psytrance with influences from Industrial trance and metal) might be kind of opposed in general to tracks with more dynamics. But at the same time, having more dynamics feels right. I just want it to be more consistent and normally dynamics isn't the first thought that comes into my mind when I'm composing a track and making the sound design.

Should I be starting the dynamics right at the start of the sound design or can I address it in the mix without greatly compromising the timbre/tone of the sound? I know a lot of compressors color the sound, and that can 'unite' the elements more in style but I actually think it should be tied together by the way it's written more than anything else.

Is my approach part of this conflict, or should i be fine with this outlook so long as i find a way to get the dynamics to match? In most case will someone have to totally redo all of the mixes to get the dynamics to match and if so how do I make sure that the overall dynamics fall into the range that I want if I'm not willing to compress the master track? Also how should I measure what is the best dynamics for my style?

For a start it may be a good idea to use something like MLoudness Analyzer to have a feel for the differences in average RMS and loudness range for each track. Then compare that with two or three reference tracks that you like in the same genre. That'll give you a ballpark loudness range and RMS to aim for in order to be consistent between tracks.

To minimize the effect a compressor has I highly suggest trying out very low ratios with deep threshold. Try doing this with the free ReaComp (found in the free Reaper VST plugin collection). Set it to it's maximum quality, ratio of 1.1 and a very deep threshold to get the desired amount of compression. Depending on the track you may want to have the attack relatively slow (10ms or more) and release moderate to slow, but at a speed that doesn't change the flow of the track too much.

This way you get minimum "strain" or "punch" to a track and are just controlling the dynamics gently.

Probably an even better candidate would be Kotelnikov from Tokyo Dawn Labs. Even better the Gentlemans editions where you have very precise control over the ratio.

You could of course turn this on it's head and just try to tame the peaks with some really transparent limiting but that will inevitably cause the track to change in it's feel.

EDIT: Forgot to mention a third option.. not sure of a free plugin (maybe the Melda compressor?) but you could try to do upwards compression instead of down. Again, very low ratio and slow time constants to keep things natural. This will raise up the quiet parts while not compressing the loud bits.

4th option is to have your tracks mastered by a professional and specifically mention that you want the mastering to be as transparent as possible and just have the tracks flow naturally from one to another.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Wow thanks guys!

I'll try getting a loudness analyzer and experiment with low ratios and high thresholds.

I got Reaper so I'll drop one of my tracks in there and see if I can get the dynamics I want. Worse comes worse I restart from scratch with the mix which isn't a big deal. I don't think I'll try to limit it, as you said it can change the feel and that's been my experience in the past. That third option sounds interesting, I didn't know you could compress 'up'. I'll need to check it out.

Having a professional do it is a little out of my wallet's possibilities right now, unfortunately. The last studio I talked to wanted quite a lot more than I could afford.

Again thanks for the responses. :)

Katelyn wrote:That third option sounds interesting, I didn't know you could compress 'up'. I'll need to check it out.
Look for "expander" plugins (upwards compressor), or "maximizer" (upwards compressor + limiter)
(don't mix it "stereo expander" plugnis, that's something different)

If you're fine with how the tracks sound on their own, than the simplest thing to do when releasing them together would be (without needing to alter the dynamics): Start with the 'quietest' track and bring the louder ones down (i.e. render with headroom) so they match in perceived volume when listening one after another.
But at the same time, having more dynamics feels right

I go with this too. :)

PurpleSunray wrote:
Katelyn wrote:That third option sounds interesting, I didn't know you could compress 'up'. I'll need to check it out.
Look for "expander" plugins (upwards compressor), or "maximizer" (upwards compressor + limiter)
(don't mix it "stereo expander" plugnis, that's something different)
Okay well I was confused because I thought expanders increased dynamics so I didn't think they were talking about expanders.

its way too easy to over compress over eq and over limit your sounds itb. try not to do it. use as little as possible. focus on arrangment
Sincerely,
Zethus, twin son of Zeus

Return to “Production Techniques”