Desert (the re-mixed edition)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Gone
Last edited by Googly Smythe on Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Nice soundtrack and ambiance.. hot day has gone and a cool night has come to the desert. The caravan has settled down to resting on an oasis. Sounds good

markkuja wrote:Nice soundtrack and ambiance.. hot day has gone and a cool night has come to the desert. The caravan has settled down to resting on an oasis. Sounds good
Thanks, much appreciated! :tu:
While I like your description, the landscape is actually an icy one!

Uploaded a video for the masochists among you. Just an image panned and zoomed. Gives a surprisingly good feeling of movement.

Desert

This is a beautiful piece of music. The soundset is almost perfect, but I think that the vocals are putting out a bit too much power in the first half between 500-1000Hz. I tried it on three different speaker/amp combinations and it was quite noticeable. I think you also have some clipping distortion on your master bus in the second part when the 'tron comes to the fore. Apart from these quibbles, I really liked this one.

Good work :)

Beautiful soundscape Ayorinde!
Nice harmonic shifts.
Well done.
:)
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

seismic1 wrote:... the vocals are putting out a bit too much power in the first half between 500-1000Hz. I tried it on three different speaker/amp combinations and it was quite noticeable. I think you also have some clipping distortion on your master bus in the second part when the 'tron comes to the fore. Apart from these quibbles...
After reading this I had a listen - and it sounded crap. I don't know how this got past the quality control department. :dog: So embarrassing. :oops:
Anyway, I soon discovered that the reverb on the solo voice (Ew Voices of Passion - Bulgarian) was on - I usually turn this off, but I must have turned it back on. It really increases the output. So, turned it off, turned down all the track faders by 3 dBs (Cubase VCA controllers to the rescue) and reduced the input to the last (of three :dog: :o) limiter by 2 dBs. As a final touch, I removed the automated fade out at the end.
Whew!
Also, it seems that there is a fair amount of "beating" between the frequencies of the solo voice and the alto/sopranos. No idea how to solve that without re-writing the parts so that they don't clash. Hey ho! :tu:

ps
Thanks for listening! :party:

Allomerus wrote:Beautiful soundscape Ayorinde!
Nice harmonic shifts.
Well done.
:)
Thanks for listening and taking the time to comment. Sometimes I even take notice of them! (see Seismic1's comments.)
:tu:

Ayorinde wrote:
seismic1 wrote:... the vocals are putting out a bit too much power in the first half between 500-1000Hz. I tried it on three different speaker/amp combinations and it was quite noticeable. I think you also have some clipping distortion on your master bus in the second part when the 'tron comes to the fore. Apart from these quibbles...
After reading this I had a listen - and it sounded crap. I don't know how this got past the quality control department. :dog: So embarrassing. :oops:
Anyway, I soon discovered that the reverb on the solo voice (Ew Voices of Passion - Bulgarian) was on - I usually turn this off, but I must have turned it back on. It really increases the output. So, turned it off, turned down all the track faders by 3 dBs (Cubase VCA controllers to the rescue) and reduced the input to the last (of three :dog: :o) limiter by 2 dBs. As a final touch, I removed the automated fade out at the end.
Whew!
Also, it seems that there is a fair amount of "beating" between the frequencies of the solo voice and the alto/sopranos. No idea how to solve that without re-writing the parts so that they don't clash. Hey ho! :tu:

ps
Thanks for listening! :party:
The latest mix is a big improvement imho :tu:

found it a bit unsettling, maybe a bit too much ! but great job nonetheless

Jesse Gorter wrote:found it a bit unsettling, maybe a bit too much ! but great job nonetheless
Sorry, it's supposed to be unsettling! :)

seismic1 wrote:... The latest mix is a big improvement imho :tu:
Thanks! I still don't know how I managed to cock it up the first time. :dog:

Lovely stuff. I see that there was a previous controversy about the mix, but from what I'm hearing right now, everything is sitting very nicely. And it is a beautifully evolving, quite relaxing but also slightly mysterious track. Thanks for sharing!

davidstiles wrote:Lovely stuff. I see that there was a previous controversy about the mix, but from what I'm hearing right now, everything is sitting very nicely. And it is a beautifully evolving, quite relaxing but also slightly mysterious track. Thanks for sharing!
Merci beaucoup, mon amie!

The original mix was sh*te. Bad day in the studio!

Ayorinde wrote:
Jesse Gorter wrote:found it a bit unsettling, maybe a bit too much ! but great job nonetheless
Sorry, it's supposed to be unsettling! :)
Great job you did there!

Return to “Music Cafe”