image into sound software / plugins

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I’m always interested and very curious to explore software/plugins that can import images and convert them into sounds.

I know there are few tools that came out in the last couple of years and I haven’t followed the last developments in that still very experimental field. Tought it could be interesting to make a list of those tools.

Here are the ones I am aware of:
• MetaSynth (standalone)
• Photosounder (standalone)
• Virtual ANS (standalone)
• Alchemy 2 (plugin)
• Harmor (plugin)

And of course I’m sure I’m missing many and some of you probably know an obscure one… Any other to add to the list?

Thanks!

Nothing to add at the mo. Just dropping a comment in here to follow the thread.

• ProletSoft Sound-Hole (standalone)
• Nicolas Fournel AudioPaint (standalone)
• VictorX Bitmaps & Waves (standalone)
Last edited by Jedinhopy on Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dropping a png to serums oscillator makes wavetable from the pic.

Izotope iris? Umm.. DiscoDSP vertigo.

Paint 2 Sound: http://flexibeatz.weebly.com/paint2sound.html

Made by Dr Nash. All his stuff and video demonstrations are fascinating and well worth a look.

Kaleidoscope is another one.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Thanks all! I new I missed some stuff... Will check your suggestions.

Iris doesn't generate sound from images per say, it spectral masking / filtrering using loaded samples.

I might be wrong but Kaleidoscope is an effect processor working on in-coming audio, doesn't really convert images into sound, right?
Last edited by Neon Breath on Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Hi,

This is a really interesting topic, there's a few more than I was aware of.

I've only used Virtual ANS, I used it to make an album from a drawing by the Canadian artist Laura Woermke which was released on the Fwonk netlabel. I converted the image into sound in Virtual ANS then manipulated the sound in Sensomusic Usine Hollyhock II DAW.

I wrote a blog post if you're interested in how it was made: http://wp.me/p2ZLkE-Xk (http://wp.me/p2ZLkE-Xk)

Kind regards,

Andrulian

Welcome to the forum Andrulian, and thanks for sharing your fascinating work and techniques. Listening now and you've done some really interesting things with the concept as a starting point.

Neon Breath wrote:Thanks all! I new I missed some stuff... Will check your suggestions.

Iris doesn't generate sound from images per say, it spectral masking / filtrering using loaded samples.

I might be wrong but Kaleidoscope is an effect processor working on in-coming audio, doesn't really convert images into sound, right?
Kaleidoscope is definitely a different sort of beast. But it does use images to generate the audio you hear. Also, if you turn down the input and turn up the noise source, it is entirely self-generated synthesis.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

deastman wrote:
Neon Breath wrote:Thanks all! I new I missed some stuff... Will check your suggestions.

Kaleidoscope is definitely a different sort of beast. But it does use images to generate the audio you hear. Also, if you turn down the input and turn up the noise source, it is entirely self-generated synthesis.
Interesting, didn't know that. Will give the demo a try! :tu:

spectrobits by g200kg (free).

Neon Breath wrote:
deastman wrote:

Interesting, didn't know that. Will give the demo a try! :tu:
It's a real bitch to work with if image-to-sound is what you're after. Super picky about formats and resolutions, no drag and drop, no built in editing. Just a general PIA. Best you can say is apparently that's not what it's designed to do (rather to design complicated multi-resonators). Just as a heads up. It's not you. :D

Latest Serum can convert bitmap into wavetable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxbD5WhGCCE
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Return to “Instruments”