Now Hive is here, is it RIP Sylenth?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2 Sylenth1

nIGhT-SoN wrote:Yeah, my bad, seems in Studio One works fine.
Savihost always had a couple of bugs whenever i used it unfortunately.

EnGee wrote::tu:

Oh by the way, I hated that demo noise! It gives the impression that Hive is harsh sounding! I know it is like in the unconscious mind!
I'm glad that I bought though and I ignored this feeling, because it really sounds smooth and nice with low cpu usage (not very, but it is low). Actually, I found that I could have great pads with just 10% of cpu usage! while simple nice bass can be only about 3%. So it is similar to Dune 2 in that :D
They could've used whitenoise or something like that.

Anyway, I've played a little with it and I found something that doesn't act as I would've expected. Sometimes to give "bite" to a sound, a clicky attack, I use a modulation envelope on the tune knob of osc, with very low decay and amount between 60% and 100%, but in this case it didn't give that at all, I can barely hear any click. I had to use compressor with a huge amount of compression, very slow attack and short release to get it.

LE: It does sound better than Sylenth1 if you were to use only the actual VSTi without any processing. You could get almost the same sound in sylenth if you were to use some processing, but then they will use the same amount of CPU and you'd have to tinker with it more. That's a big plus for Hive.

What I would like to see in Hive is totally new interface, simpler maybe vintage like where modulation, OSCs, filters are in one place and not split as it's now, and if possible to add another module only for white/pinknoise. I know you can select it in an OSC but then you are left to work with only one OSC. These are all personal opinions. Also, would love a master filter for automation mostly so you don't have to mess with the filters per OSC. Maybe a look into the problem exposed above with the env modulation on pitch.

Now talking about increasing sales, I think the interface is the nr.1 problem and 2nd it needs some EDM sound banks for promoting it. I could help with the last although I don't know if it's possible to save presets in the demo version, haven't tried.
Last edited by nIGhT-SoN on Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kumi_27 wrote:
mcnoone wrote:He discussed and guided everyone to search for cracked software.
No, he didn't. You really should learn to read other people's posts.
He just said, that Hive is listed in such google seach, and it's a kind of indicator of said plugin's popularity.
For example googling "sylenth1 crack" returns 158 000 hits. "uhe hive crack" only 13 800.
At least in my side of internet :)
Imho relevant to the discussion, but maybe not quite representative and truthful. Sylenth is older afair.
If there is no pirated warez, it could mean it's a. unpopular (most likely), b. tough to crack (happens), c. dev is kind of respected by the crackers (also happens :) )
Yet in the rules it is not allowed to discuss cracked/warez etc.
No discussion means just that.

Can we please stop talking about warez ?
Thank you.

Sorry for having mentionned the subject, I didn't expect it to go on and on forever.

lolilol1975 wrote:Can we please stop talking about warez ?
Thank you.

Sorry for having mentionned the subject, I didn't expect it to go on and on forever.
Well, this is KVR, EVERYTHING here goes on and on forever :hihi:

nIGhT-SoN wrote:
They could've used whitenoise or something like that.

Anyway, I've played a little with it and I found something that doesn't act as I would've expected. Sometimes to give "bite" to a sound, a clicky attack, I use a modulation envelope on the tune knob of osc, with very low decay and amount between 60% and 100%, but in this case it didn't give that at all, I can barely hear any click. I had to use compressor with a huge amount of compression, very slow attack and short release to get it.

LE: It does sound better than Sylenth1 if you were to use only the actual VSTi without any processing. You could get almost the same sound in sylenth if you were to use some processing, but then they will use the same amount of CPU and you'd have to tinker with it more. That's a big plus for Hive.

What I would like to see in Hive is totally new interface, simpler maybe vintage like where modulation, OSCs, filters are in one place and not split as it's now, and if possible to add another module only for white/pinknoise. I know you can select it in an OSC but then you are left to work with only one OSC. These are all personal opinions. Also, would love a master filter for automation mostly so you don't have to mess with the filters per OSC. Maybe a look into the problem exposed above with the env modulation on pitch.

Now talking about increasing sales, I think the interface is the nr.1 problem and 2nd it needs some EDM sound banks for promoting it. I could help with the last although I don't know if it's possible to save presets in the demo version, haven't tried.

I don't know really about this modulation you are trying. Normally, I do fast env for filter and amp to have such a fast response and a pluck like sounds, but I'm not experienced sound designer.

I agree about a separated noise oscillator. I also would love to have more filters, especially comb+- filters, FM modulation to the filter from the oscillators, ..etc.

Using mod env with pitch gives a different sound, more like a kick attack/top but it depends on the decay too. Usually Kicks are made like that, but you can use this technique for pluck, stab or similar sounds.

EnGee wrote: I don't know really about this modulation you are trying. Normally, I do fast env for filter and amp to have such a fast response and a pluck like sounds, but I'm not experienced sound designer.
You can give more "punch" and "body" to the attack if you make an ultra- short pitchdown effect in the very beginning of the sound - just assign the fine pitch of all oscillators to an envelope as desribed by nIGhT-SoN. Should work with most subtractive synths.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Thanks guys for the info. I'll try it soon :D

nIGhT-SoN wrote:
You can save and load presets on u-he synth demos... one of the very nice features imo... and I guess why the noise is necessary.

mcnoone wrote:
Kumi_27 wrote:
mcnoone wrote:He discussed and guided everyone to search for cracked software.
No, he didn't. You really should learn to read other people's posts.
He just said, that Hive is listed in such google seach, and it's a kind of indicator of said plugin's popularity.
For example googling "sylenth1 crack" returns 158 000 hits. "uhe hive crack" only 13 800.
At least in my side of internet :)
Imho relevant to the discussion, but maybe not quite representative and truthful. Sylenth is older afair.
If there is no pirated warez, it could mean it's a. unpopular (most likely), b. tough to crack (happens), c. dev is kind of respected by the crackers (also happens :) )
Yet in the rules it is not allowed to discuss cracked/warez etc.
No discussion means just that.
You just broke the rules. I'm telling.

I still think there's a lot of potential for Hive to build a fanbase. It just might not be the expected supersaw loving crowd. There may actually be a freaky synth just below the surface that would appeal to the, surprisingly nerdy, growl and squawk loving audience.

I sometimes get hints of additive synth tendencies from the oscillator section that probably could be subtly expanded upon without feature bloat. I also wonder if there's a CPU-cheap way to add even more distortion before the filter. As it stands, overloading the volume already has interesting effects. I've always thought there was something very nice about bitcrushing before a low pass filter.

Of course, one big non-audio limitation with Hive is that Urs is unlikely to be interested in paying [insert serial endorser] to blandly gush about it :hihi:

knowix wrote:I still think there's a lot of potential for Hive to build a fanbase. It just might not be the expected supersaw loving crowd. There may actually be a freaky synth just below the surface that would appeal to the, surprisingly nerdy, growl and squawk loving audience.

I sometimes get hints of additive synth tendencies from the oscillator section that probably could be subtly expanded upon without feature bloat. I also wonder if there's a CPU-cheap way to add even more distortion before the filter. As it stands, overloading the volume already has interesting effects. I've always thought there was something very nice about bitcrushing before a low pass filter.

Of course, one big non-audio limitation with Hive is that Urs is unlikely to be interested in paying [insert serial endorser] to blandly gush about it :hihi:

Hive has a huge fan base with people who actually buy their kit and a convolver module would be your answer.

Urs wrote:
aumordia wrote:makes me wonder if hive's biggest competition is really just other u-he stuff :lol:
They're all gateway drugs to Zebra. You skipped a few, but that isn't a bad thing.

That said, I think we have a brilliant UI designer, much more capable than I ever was. He's been working on a few designs for Zebra and I think we're onto something for the next update (2.9 I think it is).
I concur. And in my opinion, the u-he synth are consistently among the most beautiful looking on the market. Diva is just gorgeous.

I don't agree at all. I think GUI's are the weakness of U-he synths. They may look nice at first, but they are poor in terms of ergonomics, which however is much more important than looks.
At normal size I can't read Diva's labels, and when I increase the GUI so that I can read them, the GUI is bigger than my monitor, which causes all kinds of problems.

Return to “Instruments”