Why are responses on KVR and GearSlutz are so different?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

:borg:
Last edited by ontol on Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

masterhiggins wrote: Um, have you visited HPC? Just saying.
Have YOU visited HPC lately?

Sampleconstruct wrote:All the nihilists live at KVR, the girls visit GS.
mmm, the nihilists vs the girls......

I've heard bad things about both forums. One member once told me that KVR is sexist and so I can't expect a lot of responses to take me as seriously as I deserve. They thought some of my tracks were good (they worked in the industry as a living too) and even offered to do a new mix and master of any single song of mine I wanted to show how I could improve them. At one point they recommended gearslutz which really surprised me but it didn't really change my opinion much of either board. But I guess I am more skeptical of some of my responses on this board ever since that conversation and I have noticed it doesn't seem like there is a lot of female posters around here.

In either case I've never been to gearslutz. I'm slightly skeptical about the extent horrorstories as I've never been on there and well this is the internet and drama happens, but in the end it was actually their terms of service and rules that turned me off from there. I still don't know if all the talk is true although it appears so, but at the time I just didn't like their rules.
What are you equating with "girls"?

I would also like to know what this is supposed to mean... If it's a knock against the GS forum for being "inferior", then find another way to say it. Better yet, don't say it at all, because some of us enjoy going to both forums.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Katelyn wrote:I've heard bad things about both forums. One member once told me that KVR is sexist and so I can't expect a lot of responses to take me as seriously as I deserve. They thought some of my tracks were good (they worked in the industry as a living too) and even offered to do a new mix and master of any single song of mine I wanted to show how I could improve them. At one point they recommended gearslutz which really surprised me but it didn't really change my opinion much of either board. But I guess I am more skeptical of some of my responses on this board ever since that conversation and I have noticed it doesn't seem like there is a lot of female posters around here.

In either case I've never been to gearslutz. I'm slightly skeptical about the extent horrorstories as I've never been on there and well this is the internet and drama happens, but in the end it was actually their terms of service and rules that turned me off from there. I still don't know if all the talk is true although it appears so, but at the time I just didn't like their rules.
There's a lot of sexism in technical fields because there are a lot of socially inept boys in those clubs. Music is no different from other technical fields, sadly. I would like to see the men/women mixture balanced out, but the culture actively works against it. There are a few people who speak up against the sexism in these communities, but we are few and are targeted for abuse for doing it. Luckily, the number of allies for equality is growing.

In specific to KVR: there are a bunch of people over here who are open about their sexuality and disabilities and that might make this board a little bit more tolerant on average... But I have seen the occasional sexist crap here. I haven't witnessed anything horrific like I witness on Apple Insider or gamer site comment areas.

I see few women here. It is unfortunate. But then it's not possible to be certain of the gender of anyone who doesn't explicitly announce it, so who really knows for sure. The one woman I used to see posting a lot hasn't posted lately that I have noticed. If you know other women in this field, by all means invite them, show up en mass, and don't let the boys put you off. Report any abuse to mods (I'm not one, but I'll stand with you against sexist crap when I'm around).

I've not spent nearly as much time on GearSlutz as I have here on KVR so I cannot comment beyond saying that I expect that it is like most technical forums: lots of boys that think it's a men's club. What were the rules you didn't like?

If someone isn't taking you seriously, it might be because they're the kind of person that takes no one seriously. As I said, tech fields have a lot of socially-challenged individuals; also a lot of arrogance. This board in specific has a lot of jokers (I think most mean well enough, but sometimes...). I don't think there's intentional malignancy in every case of bad behavior around here. I've been more impressed with people here than disgusted, but I'm male. If a situation turns out to be sexism, the person is not worth talking to. Whether or not they take you seriously is immaterial (beyond coexisting with a sexist jerk, and who wants that). If you're being verbally abused, threatened, or getting ganged up on, report to the mods. If they don't help, send me a link to the thread in question and I'll see if I can be of help (no promises; I've zero authority, but I'm willing to speak up).

Based on the responses to another woman I saw here some months ago, I know I'm not the only male board member that wants to encourage more active participation by women here. Some of that encouragement comes with the usual "lonely boys want to get with girls" baggage, but there was certainly no "no girls allowed" nonsense. You may have other allies among the men here.

The culture needs to shift a lot and I don't see it happening until men stop tolerating men being sexist.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Jace-BeOS wrote:
I would also like to know what this is supposed to mean... If it's a knock against the GS forum for being "inferior", then find another way to say it. Better yet, don't say it at all, because some of us enjoy going to both forums.
I'm pretty sure he meant the crowd at GS is more polite, and women can stand to be there. Possibly is not up to speed on 'girls' as a derogatory term.

Please everybody calm down again, it was just a silly sarcastic comment and doesn't mean anything. I am not into sexism or chauvinism in any way and I equally respect women, men, trans-gender people, nihilists, animals and almost everybody else. If this is not an appropriate excuse for this comment, please go ahead.

EDIT: and as I'm active on both forums too, I'm equally a nihilist and a girl.

I'll say it again......is everyone paying attention??

They are not really any different from each other. By all means, keep minutia-ing to spectacular irrelevance, but it's not going to change the truth.

I've been on KvR & Gearslutz for over 10 years and recently also joined VI Control.

Firstly, let me say that all 3 forums are very different but equally great.

KvR
* Appear to mostly be hobbyists
* Really love software
* Best market place of all the forums (I've sold and bought lots here)
* Users of all DAWs
* iLok is evil. Evil i tell you!!!!
* More electronic production, chill, ambient
* A serious hatred towards trance (which I don't understand)
* Cautious about how much they spend and evaluate options very thoroughly
* The vibe can sometimes be constructive but often threads do derail and fights break out (which can be fun or frustrating depending on your taste)
* Smaller indie devs present (e.g. u-he!)

Gearslutz
* Mostly working professionals
* Lots of ProTools users
* iLok is a good thing for most
* Seem to mostly work on live recordings and band work
* Happy to spend lots but are practical
* Generally very friendly and constructive feedback
* I haven't noticed the deleted posts, but maybe that's because they delete them quickly? :)
* Moderate to larger plugin and hardware manufacturers usually present (e.g. Slate, Softube)

VI Control
* Mostly working and hobby composers (for film, games .etc)
* Mostly Cubase users
* Most discussions are around sample libraries, Kontakt .etc
* Money is spent easily, sample libraries are very expensive so everything seems cheap by comparison (e.g. Keyscape is a bargain considering what you get when comparing to individual sample libraries, same deal with Omnisphere which everyone pretty much has on VI Control)
* Incredibly friendly, helpful and kind community, very welcoming and a warm place to be (i love it!)
* Sample library vendors heavily present (e.g. Spitfire Audio, Cinematic Series)

Hope this helps

Sign up to the forums that are most relevant to you or all of them. I have gotten something out of all 3 over the years and wouldn't recommend one over the other per se.

Jace-BeOS wrote:
Katelyn wrote:I've heard bad things about both forums. One member once told me that KVR is sexist and so I can't expect a lot of responses to take me as seriously as I deserve. They thought some of my tracks were good (they worked in the industry as a living too) and even offered to do a new mix and master of any single song of mine I wanted to show how I could improve them. At one point they recommended gearslutz which really surprised me but it didn't really change my opinion much of either board. But I guess I am more skeptical of some of my responses on this board ever since that conversation and I have noticed it doesn't seem like there is a lot of female posters around here.

There's a lot of sexism in technical fields because there are a lot of socially inept boys in those clubs. Music is no different from other technical fields, sadly. I would like to see the men/women mixture balanced out, but the culture actively works against it. There are a few people who speak up against the sexism in these communities, but we are few and are targeted for abuse for doing it. Luckily, the number of allies for equality is growing.

In specific to KVR: there are a bunch of people over here who are open about their sexuality and disabilities and that might make this board a little bit more tolerant on average... But I have seen the occasional sexist crap here. I haven't witnessed anything horrific like I witness on Apple Insider or gamer site comment areas.

I see few women here. It is unfortunate. But then it's not possible to be certain of the gender of anyone who doesn't explicitly announce it, so who really knows for sure. The one woman I used to see posting a lot hasn't posted lately that I have noticed. If you know other women in this field, by all means invite them, show up en mass, and don't let the boys put you off. Report any abuse to mods (I'm not one, but I'll stand with you against sexist crap when I'm around).

I've not spent nearly as much time on GearSlutz as I have here on KVR so I cannot comment beyond saying that I expect that it is like most technical forums: lots of boys that think it's a men's club. What were the rules you didn't like?

If someone isn't taking you seriously, it might be because they're the kind of person that takes no one seriously. As I said, tech fields have a lot of socially-challenged individuals; also a lot of arrogance. This board in specific has a lot of jokers (I think most mean well enough, but sometimes...). I don't think there's intentional malignancy in every case of bad behavior around here. I've been more impressed with people here than disgusted, but I'm male. If a situation turns out to be sexism, the person is not worth talking to. Whether or not they take you seriously is immaterial (beyond coexisting with a sexist jerk, and who wants that). If you're being verbally abused, threatened, or getting ganged up on, report to the mods. If they don't help, send me a link to the thread in question and I'll see if I can be of help (no promises; I've zero authority, but I'm willing to speak up).

Based on the responses to another woman I saw here some months ago, I know I'm not the only male board member that wants to encourage more active participation by women here. Some of that encouragement comes with the usual "lonely boys want to get with girls" baggage, but there was certainly no "no girls allowed" nonsense. You may have other allies among the men here.

The culture needs to shift a lot and I don't see it happening until men stop tolerating men being sexist.
+1000
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

incubus wrote:They are not really any different from each other. By all means, keep minutia-ing to spectacular irrelevance, but it's not going to change the truth.
Yeah, at the end of the day, both forums are mostly populated by middle-aged white dudes. (From around the world, too. I don't agree with the person who said GS is more American than KVR... their audience is equally global.)

GS has a much broader scope than KVR though; KVRs users mostly overlap with GS's Music Computer and Electronic Music Instrument subforums- not so much the "High End" and "Mastering" type subs which are mostly populated with working engineering/tech pros.

KVR was specifically designed to be about open standard plugins. Over time it has changed, but the culture of the forum was definitely shaped by the fact that it was about software from the very beginning.

I also think it is wrong to think there are more 'pros' at Gearslutz than KVR. There are certainly many professional audio engineers at Gearslutz, but there are far more professional audio software developers hanging out at KVR.

Actually, i don't have a problem with the identification as a nihilist. :)

I thought KVR was specifically designed for slagging on others?

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”