Possible issues when installing Windows 10 anniversary update

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The Ann. Update f*cks up the start menu too, sort of bringing it back to Win 8.1

I guess users having too much control of what they want to see when opening the start menu is not good for Microsoft revnue, so they want to make sure their plugs and especially Store is up front

I have one major prob after win 10 ann. update. Windows defender takes a lot of RAM and CPU, so much so that it becomes unresponsive. I saw a lot of people having the same issue since win 8. There are couple of workaround but it does show up its ugly side once in a while.
satYatunes - Sound and Graphic Designer
Beautiful UI and skins for VST plugins.
Website | Portfolio

satYatunes wrote:Windows defender takes a lot of RAM and CPU, so much so that it becomes unresponsive. I saw a lot of people having the same issue since win 8. There are couple of workaround but it does show up its ugly side once in a while.
It can be disabled (turn Windows features on or off), and users can install a different anti-virus programme instead

http://uk.pcmag.com/antivirus-reviews/1 ... on-of-2016

When I installed win 10 I had problems because I have an N version and it doesn't come with the media pack. MAx/MSP and Max4live won't work. So i had to download the media pack and something else I no longer remember, after the insttall everything worked again.

but now with the anniversary update the problem is back, and I don't remeber exactly what i did last time. A PITA.
dedication to flying

Guenon wrote:Oh welll, just received a message from my friend and associate, about the so-called anniversary update having installed itself on his workstation. The result: when booting up, the system didn't load even as far as making it possible to go into safe mode. Botched driver installations were the cause, he's troubleshooting it now.

So... This is exactly the kind of crap I'd like to avoid at all costs. It should be absolutely trivial, obvious and essential to be able to trust an OS installation on a production machine, knowing that it will stay the way you have configured it - without having to actively evade unsolicited catastrophic alterations like this.
Despite my joking, I hear ya. I hate it, and I've told Pete & company about it. What they keep doing is finding even more clever ways of forcing people into updates.

The Borg queen would be proud.

But for me, it's basically working fine. But I don't run very much stuff. Opera, two midi controllers, a couple of hosts, a few plug-ins, a sound card. I'm not running a business or anything like that.

Made my revenge on Windows, removed Windows features aplenty, Internet Explorer, Media Player etc etc

Now got 34.7GB of HDD space

Numanoid wrote:Made my revenge on Windows, removed Windows features aplenty, Internet Explorer, Media Player etc etc

This reminds me of an old and dumb joke from my yoof: a man thinks he's got one over the train company 'cos he bought a return ticket - but he's not coming back.
Microsoft and Apple - what's the difference these days?

Ayorinde wrote:
Numanoid wrote:Made my revenge on Windows, removed Windows features aplenty, Internet Explorer, Media Player etc etc

This reminds me of an old and dumb joke from my yoof: a man thinks he's got one over the train company 'cos he bought a return ticket - but he's not coming back.
Microsoft and Apple - what's the difference these days?
Not much, coreaudio is still better and 3D is better on Win.. except Windows is much less bloated than OSX is :)
(and doesnt crash if adobe software kills gpu driver, unlike OSX)
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

Had a very bizarre issue when installing the Win10 anniversary edit on my Win10 machine: I actually gained ~20gb of hd space !!

My only theory is it deleted all the software patches/updates that were bolted on to the previous Win10 version and just had an updated core that didn't need those things anymore.

I always got a bit of additional space too after installing the updates. 20 GB is quite big though, dunno how to explain that.

Easily explained, just look at the code :shrug:

Ayorinde wrote:Microsoft and Apple - what's the difference these days?
Apples updates usually means upgrade money.

The computer I am using came with Win 8, I got the Win 10 update for free.

mcbpete wrote:Had a very bizarre issue when installing the Win10 anniversary edit on my Win10 machine: I actually gained ~20gb of hd space !!
How big is your Windows folder now?

Mine is 10.3GB (size on disk)

Numanoid wrote:
satYatunes wrote:Windows defender takes a lot of RAM and CPU, so much so that it becomes unresponsive. I saw a lot of people having the same issue since win 8. There are couple of workaround but it does show up its ugly side once in a while.
It can be disabled (turn Windows features on or off), and users can install a different anti-virus programme instead

http://uk.pcmag.com/antivirus-reviews/1 ... on-of-2016
This! People think Windows Defender is light on resources, but it's far from it. A proper anti-virus program will give you better protection *and* performance in most cases. Defender's resource-to-protection ratio is pretty shameful.

FWIW I deauthorised as many plugs as I could then reauthorised after updating to Anniversary Edition. I hear people with disk based iLok had problems with their licenses disappearing. Really pleased I read about that before updating. Deauthed my iLok plugins and had no problem reauthorising them after the update.

cron wrote:This! People think Windows Defender is light on resources, but it's far from it. A proper anti-virus program will give you better protection *and* performance
But seems OS's in general has killed off the big virus threats, on this list of 10 worst viruses, the most recent is from 10 years ago

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/worst ... uses10.htm

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”