Reaper - how does "zoom centre on mouse cursor" work

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi I am trying to find a way that the main window will centre on the mouse cursor when I use the mousewheel to zoom
I was hoping that the preference Horizontal Zoom Centre > Mouse Cursor would do the trick but it either does something different or is being blocked by some other preference

Does anyone know if there is a setting that will allow one to move the mouse cursor and start zooming with the screen centreing about the position of the mouse cursor?
example of what I want: move cursor to item on the far right, start zoom with mousewheel > item goes to centre of main window and zooms in

thanks

yeah, you are doing it wrong, zoom at mouse cursor won't actually centre the item under the mouse cursor.
You have actions for that
Zoom item
View zoom to item
Personally i would suggest installing SWS, where you get even more zooming actions
Duh

bungle wrote:yeah, you are doing it wrong, zoom at mouse cursor won't actually centre the item under the mouse cursor.
You have actions for that
Zoom item
View zoom to item
Personally i would suggest installing SWS, where you get even more zooming actions
thanks, that doesn't do what I want either, I need to zoom in horizontally and see the item under the cursor - not necessarily selected - in the context of other items.

Yeah it cant be done, there is no zoom item under cursor, ask for it at the forum
Duh

woggle wrote: I was hoping that the preference Horizontal Zoom Centre > Mouse Cursor would do the trick
Works for me.....

Chris-S wrote:
woggle wrote: I was hoping that the preference Horizontal Zoom Centre > Mouse Cursor would do the trick
Works for me.....
good to hear it, really thrilled for you. I will tell my computer to stop being naughty and behave like the good computer Chris-S has

yepp, it's working as it should IMO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGMvTP-MmUA
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Thanks, yes it is working like that and mine does that too, just was not what I was looking for as mentioned in the first post

"example of what I want: move cursor to item on the far right, start zoom with mousewheel > item goes to centre of main window and zooms in"

The workaround for me is to use the mousewheel as you show and then drag at the top of the window to centre the item.

+1

Don't want to hijack the thread but I believe I'm looking for exactly the same thing, particularly in the midi view. When I edit drums, for example, and I add a short note, say, 1/16 I often cannot even edit the note I've drawn, because it's way to small. But when I use the wheel of my trackball to zoom in, the new note wanders out of the display unless it happens to be exactly in the center.

It's fairly annoying and I've been wondering for a while already whether I'm doing something "systematically wrong".

JohnD71651 wrote:+1

Don't want to hijack the thread but I believe I'm looking for exactly the same thing, particularly in the midi view. When I edit drums, for example, and I add a short note, say, 1/16 I often cannot even edit the note I've drawn, because it's way to small. But when I use the wheel of my trackball to zoom in, the new note wanders out of the display unless it happens to be exactly in the center.

It's fairly annoying and I've been wondering for a while already whether I'm doing something "systematically wrong".
I can't remember how I got mine working - it works on midi as well, I just checked.

I have horizontal zoom center = mouse cursor in editing behavior preferences
and
mousewheel targets window under cursor in preferences > mouse

and in the actions I have mousewheel = zoom horizontally midi cc relative/mousewheel

Nice video explaining all the different options:
https://youtu.be/1_ElH-fMjhc?t=3m05s

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”