iZotope Neutrino - Spectral Shaping

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Neutrino

Aloysius wrote:Let's make iZotope great again.
Build a brickwall limiter and make Waves pay for it!

:lol:
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

So I stacked four instances in live because live has the cool instrument rack that allows you to map a single knob to each knob on all four instances and you can certainly hear what the detail knob does much more clearly. At first it sounded a lot different with the amount turned down, but that's because each instance was introducing about a dB drop when the effect was on and the amount was turned up, so four dB was noticeable. I matched by ear as close as possible and ended up with about 3.8 dB of boost at the end of the chain. In any case, you can still hear the difference and the necessary boost is dependent on the amount setting.

I'm not going to post sounds or go into detail, no pun intended, you can just do it yourself. I'm only posting to report that you can hear a much more significant difference when you stack and that it works just fine for me in Live 9.

And well, actually, this audio rack might have some use for me, but not as intended. You can sort of leverage the exaggeration by mapping modulation to the detail control. It changes drum loops in a nice subtle way emphasizing different instruments. I would say that in this abused configuration, it's useful for techno. If you have MFL, just stick one of the LFOs in the above effects rack and map it to detail, instant fun.

ontol wrote:
Aloysius wrote:Let's make iZotope great again.
Build a brickwall limiter and make Waves pay for it!
Geesus that is funny.
ImageImageImageImage

:hihi: "It's freezing and snowing in New York, we NEED brickwall limiters!"

Here's Isotope's explanation of what this does:

https://www.izotope.com/en/community/bl ... al-shaping

I haven't tried it yet, but I don't think it's completely imaginary...

Based on that write up, I am more convinced than I was before that this thing is imaginary.
They are using a whole lot of words there without saying much.

Sounds like four presets for a 32 band dynamic eq, with a mix knob..?
ImageImageImageImage

That whole "explanation" is little more than argument from authority and unverifiable claims. I'm not bothered that they're doing this with a free plugin. What bothers me is I get the feeling they're priming the market for an expensive plugin that does next to nothing. I'm almost tempted to write a small JesusSonic script that adds tiny amounts of randomness to an input signal and do some A/B sound tests on the same source on Soundcloud...
Spectral shaping is a new way of applying dynamics processing across the frequency spectrum that can help bring balance to the sound of instruments and voices in a way that traditional compressors and equalizers have not been able to in the past.
Balance in this context is vague. And exactly how are traditional tools failing to accomplish this?
The result is a more transparent form of dynamic control that is constantly aware of the frequency content present in the incoming signal, and adjusting its processing accordingly.
What does transparent even mean? And more transparent than what?
The goal was to develop a more transparent form of limiting that was frequency dependent, without radically affecting the timbral character of the music when used judiciously.
They make the claim that frequency limiting affects timbral character less (and there's that pesky "transparent" word again). All I'm seeing is a different approach, not better.
This involved extensive wireframing, prototyping, usability testing, and iteration on both the interface design and its sonic characteristics. After final tuning and extensive testing in a variety of musical settings, the most practical implementation seemed to be the simplest: four modes and two knobs.
"Trust us, we're really really smart. Don't you want to use things that smart people created? Ignore the fact that you can barely, if at all, hear a difference. We know better."
Because the modes are subtly focused on different areas within the frequency spectrum, you’ll likely notice that Neutrino subtly changes the timbral balance of the audio depending on which mode you have selected. You may find that for a particular guitar track, the Bass Mode works well. No problem! Use your ears and enjoy what works best for your music.
"We're almost finished, but we need a lot more gold thread. Here, Excellency! Admire the colors, feel the softness!" The old man bent over the loom and tried to see the fabric that was not there. He felt cold sweat on his forehead. "I can't see anything," he thought. "If I see nothing, that means I'm stupid! Or, worse, incompetent!" If the prime minister admitted that he didn't see anything, he would be discharged from his office.

Sheesh. They might as well be selling 2 meter power cables that claim to make digital signals sound more analog. All for the princely sum of $1999.99 US.
Feel free to call me Brian.

It sounds like a more restricted and limited version of Sknote Soundbrigade or Melda's MSpectraldynamics. I think this plugin is failing to grab people's attention because of the lack of control. Soundbrigade and MSpectraldynamics can both be very subtle, but with their added control you can really change the sound of something, which lets you know they're actually song something. IMO they should have exposed more controls and increased the range of the effect.

bmrzycki wrote:They might as well be selling 2 meter power cables that claim to make digital signals sound more analog. All for the princely sum of $1999.99 US.
Ouch. This is soooo so so bad.

OK. Maybe this iZotope thinger is Emperor's New Plugin, but is also free. Unlike this cable, can do very much nothing for free !

Thinking maybe iZotope developers forgot this all-important "exaggeration knob". It is how we hear. We hear first the effect, determine if it is good, and dial back for taste. No effect being heard, it is maybe not there or at least not so important to use.

Chandlerhimself wrote:It sounds like a more restricted and limited version of Sknote Soundbrigade or Melda's MSpectraldynamics. I think this plugin is failing to grab people's attention because of the lack of control. Soundbrigade and MSpectraldynamics can both be very subtle, but with their added control you can really change the sound of something, which lets you know they're actually song something. IMO they should have exposed more controls and increased the range of the effect.
For some of us it isn't subtleness that's the issue, its that its making mixes sound worse that's the issue!
I use U-He Satin with settings that make its effect very subtle indeed, but that one enhances the mix in a beautiful way.

But yes it could be with their full version and all controls available it can be tweaked in such a way that it benefits the mix as a whole, just a shame this early preview with fixed internal settings is a real disappointment, at least for me.
Arksun
Music Producer | Sound Designer
www.arksun-sound.com

I just "watched" some viddy thing with bypassed and on (btw, nice catchy song :) )

I'll bet that 98% of people could NEVER tell the difference.

Thanks but no thanks. I'm not a hater of these types of things but I can use any eq I have to be subtle like that. In fact, I'll bet you get more noticeable changes simply by inserting slate VCC on those channels instead.

Neutron GUI looks very sweet. :hyper: :hyper:

It's on rekkerd btw.

Neutron? :o wow.
In spite of the name it looks more like Alloy 3 than just a pro version of Neutrino...

I can hear what Neutrino does, but I can't understand. Even, I can't understand the spectral knob. I don't know how to set it.

Neutrino clearly smooth things and maybe compress. It does a strange thing to the 3Dness of the element, I think he reduces 3Dness and adds details in a very subtle way.

Why don't iZops's dev guys jump in and tell us more? (:

Return to “Effects”