Is it worth getting Serum if I already have Synthmaster?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Serum SynthMaster 2

I am unaware if the OP already has decided, but being an owner of Serum and having just tested the Synthmaster demo, here are MY two cents:

- Synthmaster will be a lot more CPU friendly than Serum when it comes to swell sounds like pads and such
-> Serum can easily stress your CPU A LOT with a big unison + long reverb

- Serum (in my personal opinion!) has a better workflow and a UI that I feel more familiar with
-> Comparing the two in creating patches, Serums workflow feels more intuitive to me

Me personally, I will most probably buy Synthmaster and use it for softer sounds like pads and such. I recently made a trance track and had to freeze tracks just because my CPU usage went over the top (Core i7) when using Serum for pads, this is where Synthmaster would've come in handy.

Even if I REALLY love Serum - in the end, my suggestion would be: if you don't want to do some hyper-crazy modulated Dubstep / Complextro / whatever AND you feel comfortable with Synthmaster, especially when creating or modifying patches - stick with it.

Cheers,

Frank

Serum looks better
Synthmaster is better

Nope.

sostenuto wrote:Can anyone go a bit OT here and advise how Synthmaster v2.76 compares :?: BTW, I own Omnisphere 2 (nice pads as well) and Spire (recently) ... just to clarify as I add more Synths for their unique attributes.
Spire is great all-around synth for EDM, easy to learn and sound is of top level. A little bit hunger for CPU power but not that much compared to other CPU-heavy synth like Diva or Serum (I hope Spire 1.1 will be released this year solving CPU issues). SynthMaster overall probably can do a bit more than Spire but in my opinion Spire is more friendly. With current SynthMaster discount you should definitely get it.

My mom just gave me her midi keyboard.

Can i use it with these?

Is Synthmaster 3 going to be released soon.
I do not own v2 but want to see what V3 brings.

If Synthmaster 3 is out by Christmas it will be fun to compare it with Avenger
and to stay on topic to also compare it with Serum.

Yes
http://www.voltagedisciple.com
Patches for PHASEPLANT ACE,PREDATOR, SYNPLANT, SUB BOOM BASS2,PUNCH , PUNCH BD
AALTO,CIRCLE,BLADE and V-Haus Card For Tiptop Audio ONE Module
https://soundcloud.com/somerville-1i

I think Synthmaster 3 is supposed to come out next summer(2017) if I remember correctly. It is supposed to have wavetable functionality, so at that time we can compare them.

Kalamata Kid wrote:Is Synthmaster 3 going to be released soon.

I wouldn't wait as kv331 usually takes his time between releases so it won't be there before a long time, that's for sure. I seriously doubt it will be around at christmas. But if you buy v2.8, you will be able to upgrade to v3 for $30 or so.
Also, I doubt SM 3.0 will integrate a sampler that's as good as the one that seems to be in Avenger. So buy v2.8 during a sale, and wait until v3.0 if it suits you better or Avenger suits you better.

lolilol1975 wrote:
Kalamata Kid wrote:Is Synthmaster 3 going to be released soon.

I wouldn't wait as kv331 usually takes his time between releases so it won't be there before a long time, that's for sure. I seriously doubt it will be around at christmas. But if you buy v2.8, you will be able to upgrade to v3 for $30 or so.
Also, I doubt SM 3.0 will integrate a sampler that's as good as the one that seems to be in Avenger. So buy v2.8 during a sale, and wait until v3.0 if it suits you better or Avenger suits you better.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Not sure I was ignoring the SM all these years.
Just heard a few audio demos.
Wow! very warm. I am impressed.
I dislike crystalline brittle sounds.
https://www.kv331audio.com/
I can import my own WAV samples!

Now only $79
Will wait for a possible Black Friday sale.
So if about $30 to update is a good deal.

Chandlerhimself wrote:I think Synthmaster 3 is supposed to come out next summer(2017) if I remember correctly. It is supposed to have wavetable functionality, so at that time we can compare them.
Hmmmm. I may wait till 2017 or I may get SM 2.8
on a sale. Not in a hurry as I have plenty of
other plugins. But yes I was impressed
with the warm sound it produces.

Yes. Serum is more visual so it's more nice to work with and generally it's a bit different beast. I have both and use them both.

Return to “Instruments”