Most analog question time! :D (Drum machines)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

musikmachine wrote: I'd be looking at stuff like that once i was making enough money from music or doing live stuff but the feedback got me thinking yes there is something lacking in the drum tracks that's worth closer investifation, it could be use of samples or my mixdowns/fx processing etc but i thought i'd try swapping out some tracks with some drum synths just to see what kinda impact it had on my tracks before going any further, want to ascertain that drum synths would be worth the hassle; i have a mopho as it is and most of the time it sits idle but have been making more of an effort to use it recently.

I'll still need an interface before i can start integrating more hardware anyway. Cheers!
You can definitely add sonic variation and character to samples. Something like Geist can use multiple samples and round robin them for some variability. You can do the same in Live using some Max devices. Plus you can add FX with per note modulation to also add variability. Velocity adds good dynamics. Etc.

Then there is timing variability. Drum tracks can sound lifeless with perfect machine-like timing. Adding a bit of groove, subtle timing variations makes it sound more alive. Playing parts has a different feel than programming them.

It really depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Samples are more exact reproductions of acoustic drums. Synthesis has more timbral flexibility while playing because the core sound itself can be modulated in almost any way imaginable. But of course synthesis is not exact at acoustic emulation... it also takes more cpu. I mostly prefer synthesis.

Also, if you just want to do some experimenting without having to pay money, plenty of synths make excellent drum sounds. Assuming you have a few soft synths, you can use them to make some experiments with drum synthesis before you spend money on drum plugins.

musikmachine wrote:
Robmobius wrote:When I'm not using samples in Geist 2

My two other favorites are StiX and Heart Beat.

D16 has some good emulations as well.
Yeah Stix is sounding good. Can't demo HB unless i get a reset but wasn't blown away by it when i did.
I think the thing about HB is that it comes with some really nice FX (especially the saturation). Without those it would be a tad lackluster.

It's far less flexible then stiX but it's quicker to get a beat out. But you can't really go wrong with anything by Xils. :)
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

pdxindy wrote:
musikmachine wrote: I'd be looking at stuff like that once i was making enough money from music or doing live stuff but the feedback got me thinking yes there is something lacking in the drum tracks that's worth closer investifation, it could be use of samples or my mixdowns/fx processing etc but i thought i'd try swapping out some tracks with some drum synths just to see what kinda impact it had on my tracks before going any further, want to ascertain that drum synths would be worth the hassle; i have a mopho as it is and most of the time it sits idle but have been making more of an effort to use it recently.

I'll still need an interface before i can start integrating more hardware anyway. Cheers!
You can definitely add sonic variation and character to samples. Something like Geist can use multiple samples and round robin them for some variability. You can do the same in Live using some Max devices. Plus you can add FX with per note modulation to also add variability. Velocity adds good dynamics. Etc.

Then there is timing variability. Drum tracks can sound lifeless with perfect machine-like timing. Adding a bit of groove, subtle timing variations makes it sound more alive. Playing parts has a different feel than programming them.

It really depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Samples are more exact reproductions of acoustic drums. Synthesis has more timbral flexibility while playing because the core sound itself can be modulated in almost any way imaginable. But of course synthesis is not exact at acoustic emulation... it also takes more cpu. I mostly prefer synthesis.

Also, if you just want to do some experimenting without having to pay money, plenty of synths make excellent drum sounds. Assuming you have a few soft synths, you can use them to make some experiments with drum synthesis before you spend money on drum plugins.
It's not the programming, i do all that, swing, groove, fills, triplets, polyrhythms, delay tricks, subtle modualtion etc. I also layer kicks, claps, snares etc. It' the timbre the label commented on so i thought i'd check out the options. It's gonna be a shootout anyway, i know i can do a lot with samples so i'll be factoring that in, loading various plugins into tracks. I've not been 100% happy with my drums for a while so took this as an opportunity to investigate. :)

Yeah synths are in my mind as well, like i say checking the options, i've been using Maschine and ableton racks for a while now so haven't really paid attention to what else is out there. Cheers!
Latest release and Socials: https://linktr.ee/ph.i.ltr3

Spent some QT setting up maschine in Live and going through my racks and samples, got a really nice balance between samples and synthesis now, i can switch and layer as i want and get a bit of a live performance going which is obviously maschine strength and the drum synths do sound good.

Still gonna check out some analog drum machines but i'll have to get down to Production Room to get hands on with some before dropping a grand! :hihi:
Latest release and Socials: https://linktr.ee/ph.i.ltr3

Return to “Instruments”