Free FM Synthesizer Dexed (VST Windows and Mac)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Dexed

Autobot wrote:
Yeager wrote:
Autobot wrote:
Yeager wrote:
Autobot wrote:
Autobot wrote:I still can't get the Dexed_cart_1.0.zip working. Anyone knows what I'm possibly doing wrong or whatever this problem is?
Still no idea whats up? I use the latest version and placed Dexed_cart.zip in the same folder as the dll. Win7 64-bit

TIA
What happens if you click "show dir" in dexed after clicking on the "cart" ?
The destination folder opens
C:\Users\xyz\AppData\Roaming\DigitalSuburban\Dexed
Is there a folder called cartidges in there and a dexed.xml file ?
yep
Inside the Cartridges folder is there a folder called "Dexed_cart" and "SynprezFM" ?

Yeager wrote:
Inside the Cartridges folder is there a folder called "Dexed_cart" and "SynprezFM" ?
No I deleted both . There is only my bank in there "Dexed_01.syx"
rabbit in a hole

Autobot wrote:
Yeager wrote:
Cool .. now make a new folder called "Dexed_cart" and put all the folders from de dexedcart.zip in THAT folder.

I think that something has changed trough the years the old versions of dexed made a copy of the content of the dexedcart.zip into the Cartidges folder, now you have to do this yourself.

Yeager wrote:
Autobot wrote:
Yeager wrote:
Cool .. now make a new folder called "Dexed_cart" and put all the folders from de dexedcart.zip in THAT folder.

I think that something has changed trough the years the old versions of dexed made a copy of the content of the dexedcart.zip into the Cartidges folder, now you have to do this yourself.
Thanks but we could have this shorter because I'm aware of this way but I thought Dexed would be able to read the zip ...
rabbit in a hole

Autobot wrote:
Yeager wrote:
Autobot wrote:
Yeager wrote:

Thanks but we could have this shorter because I'm aware of this way but I thought Dexed would be able to read the zip ...
Aah so you deleted the folders , put the zip next to the dll and hoped it would do what you want, namely present you with the dexed cart inside dexed 8) .. and as it turned out... this does not work (anymore) :(

Thats was what I hoped ... thanks for your effort
rabbit in a hole

Yeager wrote:Well in my own kind of way I tried to tell you this on march 4th here :
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... d#p6403098

PS, I was wrong about the finetune bug :oops:

To be clear, I really love what you are doing with this amazing synth :hug: :love:
:? ok ; I was looking up until I've released the beta in july... :( As a work around, I think you can open them in 0.9.0 and save them; it will put the right sysex and 0.9.2 will be able to open it without errors... But I'll fix this for 0.9.3. My main TODO list is here : https://github.com/asb2m10/dexed/issues
Yeager wrote: Aah so you deleted the folders , put the zip next to the dll and hoped it would do what you want, namely present you with the dexed cart inside dexed 8) .. and as it turned out... this does not work (anymore) :(
In the very early versions, Dexed was able to stream directly into the .zip, yes. But that was read-only access; to simplify the support of read-write I had to put everything back as sysex files. The is why you need to unzip them.
jk256 wrote:If my understanding is correct and this is indeed a bug in Dexed, it could be verified by loading simple INIT patch with OP1 Coarse=2, Fine=99 (almost 3rd harmonics) into DX7. DX7 should sound a 4th below Dexed, as Dexed would turn this into 3.98 which is almost 4th harmonics.
I'll double check with my DX7 and confirm this. Thanks for the info.

asb2m10 wrote:I'll double check with my DX7 and confirm this. Thanks for the info.
One more thing... I was wondering why nobody noticed earlier (maybe somebody did...) as this should have affected the sound of Dexed patches and checked the patches shipped with Dexed (Dexed_01.syx and first 2 SynprezFM cartridges). Only 6 patches from Dexed_01.syx use Fine Tuning high enough - 8th (Saw em up), 15th (Flexi), 21st (Rumble), 24th (TundState^), 25th (- Wobble 1 -) and 28th (Electron 1) and usually for modulators only where it is less noticeable as it affects timbre and not overall pitch. SynprezFM patches I checked almost don't use it - I found just one or two.

Also, there is another easy way to see this... In INIT patch, move Coarse to 31 and Fine to 99. GUI shows Coarse/Fine=61.69 and this is also what seems to be sounding when you play a note. Could anybody please double check with their DAW to confirm this is not a problem of my DAW/VST host only? Many thanks...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jk256 wrote:
asb2m10 wrote:I'll double check with my DX7 and confirm this. Thanks for the info.
One more thing... I was wondering why nobody noticed earlier (maybe somebody did...) as this should have affected the sound of Dexed patches and checked the patches shipped with Dexed (Dexed_01.syx and first 2 SynprezFM cartridges). Only 6 patches from Dexed_01.syx use Fine Tuning high enough - 8th (Saw em up), 15th (Flexi), 21st (Rumble), 24th (TundState^), 25th (- Wobble 1 -) and 28th (Electron 1) and usually for modulators only where it is less noticeable as it affects timbre and not overall pitch. SynprezFM patches I checked almost don't use it - I found just one or two.

Also, there is another easy way to see this... In INIT patch, move Coarse to 31 and Fine to 99. GUI shows Coarse/Fine=61.69 and this is also what seems to be sounding when you play a note. Could anybody please double check with their DAW to confirm this is not a problem of my DAW/VST host only? Many thanks...
The fine is based on the coarse: the higher the coarse is, the higher the unit of the fine will be. I've double check on the Dx7 and it does the same thing, coarse 31 - fine 99 does equal to 61.69.

asb2m10 wrote:
DrewDale wrote:New version (0.9.2) the original Yamaha cart, the first 3 brass patches are now sounding like muted organ sounds.In version 0.9.1 on my PC set up, the brass patches from the same cart sound a lot different. Anyone else notice the difference ?
Since 0.9.1 when using the Mark I engine, the feedback level are on par with the DX7. The original implementation (Modern), the feedback was 4 time stronger and some patches were really not sounding like the DX7.
I don't have the real thing so I'm comparing with this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3rrjQtQe5A and for me BRASS 2 sounds more similar with the Modern engine. :help:

Dexed breakpoint naming still does not match DX7 breakpoint naming.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

asb2m10 wrote:The fine is based on the coarse: the higher the coarse is, the higher the unit of the fine will be. I've double check on the Dx7 and it does the same thing, coarse 31 - fine 99 does equal to 61.69.
Ok, thanks for explanation. So it is not a bug but a feature back from 1983... :(

Since some of the patches from the BlackWinny's collection have wrong format that Dexed doesn't like, I just made a simple command line tool for adding/fixing syx headers. If the input file size == 4096 bytes then new syx header + checksum will be added to the file, if size == 4104 then the header will be recreated and checksum recalculated.
Tested on Win7, use on you risk.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

can you give some detail as to why certain .syx patches can't be read by Dexed?
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

Cartridges .syx-files should have proper sysex header and proper ending with checksum. Take a look at the SoundSations cards, some of them just 4096 bytes (128 bytes x 32 preset) so there are no headers, just voice data. Dexed won't even list such files.
Some files have 4104 byte size but have wrong headers or checksum (for inst. Chris Dodunski/Atsu_4), Dexed will complain while loading them.

Of course you'd better be sure that the file you trying to fix is a real dx7 data file.

^^^
Disclaimer: I found out all that stuff about syxes just two days ago, so maybe it's all wrong. :P

Edit: To simplify things a bit here's a version with batch-processing support. dxfixheader -c will process *.syx in the current directory, dxfixheader -r will process files recursively. Use on your risk & make backups.

Return to “Instruments”