Synapse Audio Minimoog emulation "The Legend" for VST/AU and RE released!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Legend

AnX wrote:its a very important piece of information. Minimonsta was the best when it came out ...what...ten or more years ago?
And your point being ? MiniMoog came out around 1971, so what improvements has happened in the synthesizer tech since then :?

Exactly! I know when I am right :D
Last edited by Numanoid on Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Numanoid wrote:
AnX wrote:its a very important piece of information. Minimonsta was the best when it came out ...what...ten or more years ago?
And your point being ? MiniMoog came out around 1971, so what improvements has happened in the synthesizer tech since then :?
:roll:

Numanoid wrote:
zvenx wrote:or as someone else here would say, did you wake up late?
I dunno, the previous pages in this thread was just the regular quarreling, so I thought nobody had noticed that it actually had been released
Lol.
Touche :)
Rsp
sound sculptist

Numanoid wrote:

Exactly! I know when I am right :D
Well, since Minimonsta was released (around 2005 and Arturia Minimoog V in 2004) a lot has happened in DSP coding and modeling of analog circuits and since Diva was released (beginning of 2012), not to forget teh Xils Lab synths like XILS 3 and PolyKB II taht were reeleased before Diva, there seemed to be a totally new quality of emulations and analog modeling. Until now Monark (released in 2013) was the "Benchmark" in terms of Minimoog emulations.
So the timeline is 2004: Arturia Minimoog V, 2005: GForce Minimonsta, 2012: U-He Diva, 2013: Native Instruments Monark, 2016: Synapse Audio The Legend
The last 3 seem to involve the latest achievements in filter modeling while the other two were released 7 and 8 years before.
FWIW while the filter in Arturia Mini V3 is updated it still is not up with Monark and The Legend (e.g. it produces noise with self-oscilation at higher pitch).

I had owned Minimonsta not too long after i had owned a real Mini Model D (that i owned until 2005) and i never had the impression it really nailed the real thing so i sold Minimonsta after a few years, also kept it so long due to lack of a proper software replacement. Also got a few hardware synths like e.g. Creamware Minimax ASB and later Moog Slim Phatty that still were no full replacements for the Mini. This really changed with first Monark and now The Legend.

Minimonsta, Diva, Arturia Mini V3 and last but not least Monark are nice synths on their own but The Legend seems to be the best currently available in terms of proper replication of the real thing, no matter if you think it lacks features or not. It still has more features than the original synth and also more than Monark has. Not to forget it models two revisons of the Minimoog, available with the Late/Early switch.
Last edited by Ingonator on Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

monark seems to sound better for audiorate modulation, the legend can sound strange for this to me anyone compared ? try to fm the filter .
overall it seems monark tend to sound brighter, giving a more agressive sound that can be a good or bad things depending the needs, personaly i like both synth they have different strengh but the audiorate modulation on legend seems to sound strange so to me this would be a major let down if it's really the case..need to try it more.
Analog electronic drum samples (Free demo pack)
http://www.syntheticwav.com

Are there plans to make an emulation of Prophet 5 or maybe some other analog instruments like Alesis Andromeda? :-)

Please stop to make more emulations or give them more modern up to date features on top!
I tryed now the latest Minimoog emulations....now i ask me what is special here?
Sorry, but still only Moog nailed it in a freaking app for me.
But if someone model now the System 35 or 55 i
would be interested :P

Cinebient wrote:Please stop to make more emulations or give them more modern up to date features on top!
I tryed now the latest Minimoog emulations....now i ask me what is special here?
Well, if oyu have no interest in a proper Minimoog Model D emualtions witah few advanced features why do you not simply move on?

An iOS App is no replacement for a proper VST plugin for you DAW so if Moog will make a VST plugin we could discuss again. Besides that an emulation of a Modular System is not the same as a Minimoog.

The Minimoog is one of the most iconic and legendary synths of all time and a lot of eople still love it and some spend a lot of money to buy the real thing. Not to mention that countless synths that came after it are based on at least parts of it's design including the filter (which does not mean that many of them really nailed the sound of it too).

FWIW Moog just re-released the Minimoog Model D again (for around 3700$). Would not make much sense if nobody would be interetsed in it today or not? The Minimoog was popiular 40 years ago and it will continue to do teh same for a while, either as the real thing, a re-release of the hardware or as plugins like e.g. The Legend.

Here is a link for the re-release of the Minimoog Model D:
https://www.moogmusic.com/products/mini ... og-model-d

If you ask why Richard did not model it based on the re-release the answer is quite simple. It was not avaiable when teh Beta started and Nico at BigTone had two differnt vintage Model Ds available so they used those for adding both the Late and early model to The Legend. It' also not like the re-released Model D is really cheap and they also do not seem to build really many of them so far (also as they are hand made).

Concernig features this is the very first version of The Legend and in future updates maybe new features could be added. This does not mean taht the current version is "unusable" in any way.
Last edited by Ingonator on Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ingo Weidner
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

I have tried the demo... The sound gives the impression of the sub phatty ive tried once so it must mean good. The interface is simple, CPU usage is fairly low and i love the poly sound as well.
I try to stay away from commenting but i wanted to say thanks for Synapse Audio and their affiliates, this looks like a fairly usable and musical synth for me. Great step towards the right direction for emulations too, hope it sells good ;)

Ingonator wrote:
Cinebient wrote:Please stop to make more emulations or give them more modern up to date features on top!
Well, if oyu have no interest in a proper Minimoog Model D emualtions witah few advanced features why do you not simply move on?

An iOS App is no replacement for a proper VST plugin for you DAW so if Moog will make a VST plugin we could discuss again. Besides that an emulation of a Modular System is not the same as a Minimoog.

The Minimoog is one of the most iconic and legendary synths of all time and a lot of eople still love it and some spend a lot of money to buy the real thing. Not to mention that countless synths that came after it are based on at least parts of it's design including the filter (which does not mean that many of them really nailed the sound of it too).

FWIW Moog just re-released the Minimoog Model D again (for around 3700$). Would not make much sense if nobody would be interetsed in it today or not? The Minimoog was popiular 40 years ago and it will continue to do teh same for a while, either as the real thing, a re-release of the hardware or as plugins like e.g. The Legend.

Here is a link for the re-release of the Minimoog Model D:
https://www.moogmusic.com/products/mini ... og-model-d

If you ask why Richard did not model it based on the re-release the answer is quite simple. It was not avaiable when teh Beta started and Nico at BigTone had two differnt vintage Model Ds available so they used those for adding both the Late and early model to The Legend. It' also not like the re-released Model D is really cheap and they also do not seem to build really many of them so far (also as they are hand made).

Concernig features this is the very first version of The Legend and in future updates maybe new features could be added. This does not mean taht the current version is "unusable" in any way.
Whatever, i have the same right as you and others to say what i think.
I just thought it might be interesting for a few developers that missing options might lose them a few new buyers. There is a new generation of musicians and hobbyist there which didn't grow with these things....why not make them happy too.
I know critic is not welcome here but yes, you're right and i will move on now (i just hope some developers would do that too.... :hihi: ).
I wish Synapse Audio really good luck.
At least Richard finally says something about the future of Dune 2 in his forum....hope that are not just "words".

The qusetion if and which emulations will be done by Synapse Audio in the future is another story but The Legend will for sure not be updated to a full Moog Modular system (except as a new plugin) even if there will be a few updates in the future for sure.

Anyway concerning proper emulation choosing a Minimoog was a good choice IMO and Richad seems to have doen a gret job here. How far this will lead to new products or improvements in DUNE 2.5 is again another story but it is quite sure that Richard seemed to have learned a lot concerning analog modeling while doing this new plugin (and there were alraedy new analog filters and enveleopes added wth the last DUNE 2 update).
Ingo Weidner

Legend just like dune ...when gui is opened , windows task manger cpu readout goes trough the roof .
M latop is underspecified , but this has nothing to do with processing audio .
Does not happen with dune beat edition .
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

gentleclockdivider wrote:Legend just like dune ...when gui is opened , windows task manger cpu readout goes trough the roof .
M latop is underspecified , but this has nothing to do with processing audio .
Does not happen with dune beat edition .
Which DAW are you using and what are your under specified specs?
Wavetables for DUNE2/3, Blofeld, IL Harmor, Hive and Serum etc: http://charlesdickens.neocities.org/
£10 for lifetime updates including wavetable editor for Windows.

Music: https://soundcloud.com/markholt

Cinebient wrote:
Whatever, i have the same right as you and others to say what i think.
I just thought it might be interesting for a few developers that missing options might lose them a few new buyers. There is a new generation of musicians and hobbyist there which didn't grow with these things....why not make them happy too.
I know critic is not welcome here but yes, you're right and i will move on now (i just hope some developers would do that too.... :hihi: ).
I wish Synapse Audio really good luck.
At least Richard finally says something about the future of Dune 2 in his forum....hope that are not just "words".
Why not have a variety? There are near 1:1 emulations without a lot of additional features and there are other synths that are not emulations and in between. There are plenty to choose from.

I was a skeptic, but consider me impressed.

Monark was my go-to for Minimoog-type stuff although I have Diva as well. Just gave the demo of the Legend a play, comparing it to Monark though and finding it much more musical IMO.

Oscillator waves are quite similar until you get to the square and pulse waves. They're much different at both lower pitches and higher pitches. It's hard to tell which I prefer as it's dependent on the pitch, but overall I preferred Monark a bit here.

Noise is very aggressive on Monark, too much so IMO. This may be how the Mini actually is, but I find it easier to fine-tune the noise level on the Legend to get musical results. I found the feedback/load and resonance on certain sounds to be the same - far too aggressive for my liking on Monark. It's much easier to get a nice, musical tone dialed in on the Legend. Resonance on Monark sometimes screeches in far too early and there seems to be no in between - same with the feedback.

I also preferred the low end of the Legend - it seemed a bit more lively and warm compared to Monark. I didn't get in depth creating any sounds, but it seems the Legend is more apt to produce the "typical" horn/funk sounds.

I wasn't overly impressed with the modulation on either at audio rates and they're about equal when using the Lo value on osc 3. But again the noise aggressiveness on Monark causes you to not being able to really dial in values like the Legend does.

Very nice job on this one!

Return to “Instruments”