September Contest: Submissions

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Global Theatre

In honor of the 400th anniversary of Shakespeare's death earlier this year, the theme for this month is Theatre... around the Globe (eh, get it?)! From Broadway to Noh, from puppets to the ancient Greeks, from black box to commedia dell'arte, from improvisational to Wayang (you have to find some use for that huge Gamelan sample library you purchased back in 2008), drama to comedy, anything where there's stuff happening on a stage (loosely defined). Produce a track that is inspired in some way by some form of theatre. Just maybe nothing quite so obvious as a hip-hop musical based on the life of Alexander Hamilton, though (I mean, come on...).

NOTE: When you submit your track, please note in the thread below which form of theatre influenced your song so we can appreciate it fully (right after we look it up on Wikipedia)!

Submissions MUST follow these rules:

1 - Encoded in either .mp3 or .ogg format.

2 - A STRICT MAXIMUM of three minutes in length. If it shows up as 3:01 in my player, it's getting the boot.

3 - entered into the contest by posting a DIRECT LINK (note: THIS MEANS A DOWNLOAD LINK) in this RULES & SUBMISSIONS thread (use the GOSSIP thread for everything else). If you cant provide a direct link, please contact one of the following people listed below, they will be happy to help you out. These people provide free hosting for the purpose of this contest only! They are not a hosting service. When contacting these people, please take the effort to understand the terms and conditions they provide.

Providers:
1 - knockman
2 - watto
3 - slartibartfast

In addition...
http://www.kara-moon.com/forum has offered "self service" space. Log into the forum to find out more.

4 - Submitted by early a.m. (US Central Time) Monday, September 26th, 2016.

5 - Your entry must be composed specifically for this contest (or, if a cover, arranged/recorded specifically for this contest).

6 - Your entry must be created using at least some audio plugins, virtual synths, or software studio.

7 - Your entry should have the FILE named in a format of "yearmonth_artistname_tracktitle" (eg "1609_Festus_DefenestrationTango.mp3"), where the artistname is the same as your KVR name. Please do not use spaces and special characters in the filename. Special considerations will be given to those that have the hosting agent change the file name.

8 - If you are going to tag your mp3--and you should--the artist name is to be the same as your KVR name, and the title tag is to be the name of your tune.

9 - One person can participate either with one entry, with one entry and one collaborative effort or with two collaborative efforts.

10 - Every submission has to be tagged with:
a) used instruments (virtual and 'real')
b) players' and singers' names (if other than entrant; collabs are allowed, sometimes encouraged, but they must be credited)
c) origin of loops and samples, if they're not free of copyright (this includes CreativeCommons material; please read and follow the license of the samples and loops you use); naming the origin of copyright free loops is also encouraged, but not mandatory. Please only use samples you are legally entitled to use.
d) name(s) of composer(s) -- if an entry is a cover this should be noted in the file name and/or the mp3 "Title" tag as well as the submission post (not everyone reads the submission posts).

11 - If there are strong doubts about the origin of the composition or parts of it, the participant should have the possibility to send a project file to the moderator, who could give it to a trustworthy person with the right host to examine it. Important: the participant should not be forced to do it.

12 - No resubmissions without permission from the moderator, INCLUDING for time-overage correction. Please PM me for permission.

13 - Any tracks not adhering to these guidelines will be very naughty indeed. Possibly disqualified upon peer review. And at least mocked for all to point and giggle.

14 - Voting (members must have at least 20 posts to vote ... although contest entrants are exempt from this ruling) will run from the submission deadline until early a.m Sunday, May 1st. Anyone voting for themselves will find ALL their votes disqualified; any entrants not voting will also be disqualified.

If you have questions, send a private message to drapostrophex (that's me, Victor!) or ask in the gossip thread.
______

PRIZES

Quinto from SKNote Software Sound Synthesis has donated any one of his plugins for the contest this month. (and later months until further notice). Thank you, Quinto.

Michel Rouzic the developer of Photosounder has donated a copy (with noncommercial license) of Photosounder, a copy of SplineEQ, or a copy of Spiral (until further notice).

Varazuvi has donated a copy of Acoustic Guitar Pro for this March's contest (and later months until further notice). Thanks, Varazuvi.

Uncle E from JRR Shop has donated a copy of SONiVOX Pulse, SONiVOX Wobble, or SONiVOX Twist for June's contest (and later months until further notice).

*Not to be confused with "Real Simple" which is a pretty decent magazine and probably also has a registered trademark on the term, without the periods which is how I have it above.
GLHF! (Gandalf Lives, Hobbits Forever!)

This is my take on this months contest. I had the idea in mind of the contest and was kinda on/off with the idea of using a song I had been working on and at the same time I was looking out for a source for the topic that I could sample, so while happening to be browsing maths videos I came across the source of the spoken parts of the track. I was interested because I knew i could edit it enough to get what I wanted. It was just cut and paste, mind you I had to edit out a lot of "UMM" UHH"

Artist: IRL303
Title: Fermat's Formula
Length: 3:00
Style: Spoken/Narrative/Story telling/House
Topic: Life Of Pierre Fermat/Mathematics.

Software Editor: FL Studio 11
Samples From: Royality Free Samples*

Spoken Samples by Simon Singh from "The Epic Quest to Solve the World's Greatest Mathematical Problem" (1998)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/j03u0 ... ormula.mp3
https://soundcloud.com/bar/entry-for-september-contest
Last edited by IRL303 on Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Try only to surpass your own previous accomplishments instead of beating others

Movies are theater, right?

Here is the opening credits soundtrack for the soon*-to-be released movie: The Horror of Kumquat Pond!

https://soundcloud.com/rachmiel/opening ... mquat-pond

I used samples and the sample player from EastWest ComposerCloud Symphonic Adventures.

(I'll take credit for the arrangement, not for the orchestral passages themselves, which were made by EW.)

Enjoy! :-)

* Or so the little voices that live in my head keep promising ...

After The Rainstorm

Incidental music
Trying to recall the Erik Satie style (with a personal twist and a couple of free-flowing turnarounds :hihi: )

HW : A borrowed laptop
SW : NI Bandstand, TruePianos, Glaceverb, Edirol Orchestral, LFX-1310, Kjarehus classic bundle, Fusion Field

https://soundcloud.com/clauderagonnet/agamemnon

In two acts

PRS SE Soapbar II via Guitar Rig

freesound sample:157294__rtb45__byzantine-chant

Various Kontakt instruments:
Sonokinetic Delphi
Soundiron APE
Sessions Strings
Maverick Piano
Cinematique Instruments Fabrique

Effects Soundtoys Crytstallizer

Mastered with Ozone 5 in Live 9

Inspired by a different (and timely) sort of theater - political.

Red and Blue

Red and Blue

Code: Select all

Some say the nation will end in red,
    Some say in blue.
From cable news I've watched with dread
I hold with those who flee from red.
    But if it had to fall anew,
I think I know of enough greed
    To say that for delusion blue
Can too mislead
    And it would do.
Featuring a patriotic assortment of drums and brass.

Complete Orchestral Collection: Snare, Triangle, Brass FX
Apocalypse Percussion Elements: Solo Bass & Toms
Bravura Scoring Brass: Solo Piccolo Trumpet, Ensemble Full Brass, Trumpets FX
FX: ReaVerberate, MLoudnessAnalyzer, T-RackS (LIN PHASE, OPTO COMP, EQ 1A, BR WALL)

Descriptive poem is strongly based on Fire and Ice by Robert Frost.

As Requested and specially commissioned :)

Extreme minimalist performance art.

Zen TragiComedy in Four Movements

Used:
Rosegarden
Yoshimi
Patch - Deep Chime {so new it's not publicly available}
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

If Hamlet were a rock opera, perhaps this would be one of the songs.

To Be or Not to Be

Apologies to Bill for mutilating his most famous speech.

Hardware:
  • Korg M3
Virtual Instruments:
  • Sylenth
    Evolution Strawberry Guitar
    Steven Slate Drums
    Scarbee Funk Guitarist
    Scarbee Pre-Bass
    Serum
    Alchemy
    Massive
    Arturia Modular V3
Effects:
  • Waves Debreath
    Nectar 2
    Waves Eddie Kramer Vocals
    Waves Supertap
    CSR Room
    FabFilter Pro C-2
    Waves CLA Bass
    Waves CLA Drums
    Waves JJP Cymbals
    Steven Slate VMR
    Izotope Ozone 7
    Kjaerhaus MPL1-Pro
Time is an illusion - lunchtime doubly so.

Two Acts
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/0916 ... -natural20

Act1 Scene1 : guy walks into a bar
Act1 Scene2 : old lady talking
Intermission Music
Act2 Scene1 : at sleep
Act2 Scene2 : this is not a dream
Act2 Scene3 : "are you talking to me ?"
Final Scene : voices all speaking at once
sample of a bell
Geist2
Z3TA2
Telecaster(s)
Hybrid3
& lots of effects performed within LIVE9

expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

world view aspect
dropbox.com/s/ffk8b5z67o3oi1r/2016_09-Hellfog-world%20view%20aspect.mp3

Copy the link into your browser and download.

https://soundcloud.com/psyerichybrid/wo ... ct/s-79aGL

Inspired from World theater stages

Reaper, Electric88, Omnisphere.
Last edited by Hellfog on Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brexit - The Musical

DAWs
Tracktion 7
Reason 3

Instruments
Epiphone acoustic guitar
Peavey electric guitar
Shure SM57 mic

Plug-Ins
Tracktion 4-Band Equaliser & Analog Synth
OldSkoolVerb
Blue Cat Triple Chorus
can't sing, can't play, looks awful.....

Barely made it this month! :phew:

Please allow me to present to you...

Robot Reckoning (A Play in Three Acts)

Complete with robot soliloquy!

Equipment used: Octatrack, Tempest, Pro 2, Mother 32, and Macintosh (text to speech).

Plugins: Sigmund, Devastor, Replika, Blackhole, Ozone 6, and various (EQ, compressor, limiter) from Live 9.

https://soundcloud.com/bluerobotmusic/robot-reckoning

Return to “Music Cafe”