Sonar Platinum does not work as advertised

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
SONAR Platinum

lingyai wrote:
TheoM wrote:. I meant no offence. Cheers.

https://66.media.tumblr.com/193d9e14208 ... o1_400.gif

:hug:

rrrrrrieowwwww

:lol:

I've been a Sonar user off and on for years. Kept going back and forth between PT and Sonar. Neither worked well.

So I thought, I'll try Cubase. It has a cool chord track. I'm currently trying to figure out how to export a mostly midi song from Cubase into Sonar because it won't recognize my mic. You know. Something basic. Actually that is not correct. It recognizes the mic but the mic is not an option for audio recording. And yes, checked the manual and YouTube videos.

Other than Reason which always works but is limited, I've yet to find a problem free DAW. It's just some problems don't apply to what you want to do, so aren't really a problem.

I find it interesting how folks will extrapolate and generalize to assume the worst without even understanding the situation. For the record this is the thread that the OP posted on our forums (I searched for user names matching his KVR name):
http://forum.cakewalk.com/NEW-THREAD-Tr ... 57745.aspx

There are several users who tried to assist with his problems but he rejected most of their suggestions. After reading the thread even I couldn't figure out exactly what steps he was taking and running into problems. Mixdown is one of the simpler things to do in SONAR.

I also looked up this user and there were zero support cases logged by him. So as far as I can see he did not contact support unless it was via a different alias. (Correction: there were two cases logged but they had nothing to do with this issue - just basic install questions)
Now I will be the first to admit that we have had support issues the last few months. We lost a few support staff at a bad time when we had the lifetime updates announcements and it caused a backlog of cases. We've rectified that now and are rapidly catching up.
Noel Borthwick
CTO
Cakewalk

I just read the thread you linked to. It sounds to me like he was trying to use an automation view mode that he preferred to use, and yet everyone kept telling him to use a different one (automation lanes) instead. He didn't want to use automation lanes. It's his prerogative to use whatever the software offers that is his preferred way of working.

It also sounds like the view he prefers didn't work correctly for him. Another poster, late to the thread on the fourth page, replied that he has experienced the same problem. The one or two other users who checked on this feature had success with one type of track, but didn't seem to test both (all three?? is Sonar still using that clunky audio-track + MIDI-track = "synth track" model?) types, which the OP was having the problems with. It sounds like no one tested what he was doing. His explanations for what he was doing weren't great, but he was far from flippant or incoherent.

Ultimately, it appears both users with the problem are trying to use a part of Sonar that Cakewalk has unofficially deprecated. It's in there and it kind of works, but it's not getting paid attention by developers or support. It might have inconsistent buggy behavior depending on the type of tracks being viewed. Only those two users see the problems and no one wants to help them get that deprecated view mode to work reliably.

So the original poster gets criticized for "not wanting help offered":

OP: "Help me with B"
FORUM: "Use A"
OP: "But I want help with B!"
FORUM: "Fine, don't take our help!"

:-p

As for the mix issues he had, I have no idea what he was trying to do and there was definitely a lack of explicit, well-worded/written details on that. Still...

When I was using Sonar, my mixdown experiences were chaotic, for no discernible reason. I also found bugs left and right in different windowed views, and with behaviors on the main track list (some of which I reported, had verified, and support then somehow forgot about and couldn't even find my support tickets, when someone on the KVR forum claimed to look into my bug reports). There are features that never worked for me. I was told to upgrade to new versions because I was in the wrong for being a version or two behind the current paid upgrade. About six paid versions of this was my limit. So I finally gave up on Sonar.

Instead of bashing the users who have trouble using the product as it is, maybe consider doing the following:

1. Make the product work to documented specification.

2. Remove deprecated features entirely, rather than just letting them rot.

3. Don't get all defensive when you lose a user to problems they had that you never understood when they tried to get help from you.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Jace-BeOS wrote:I just read the thread you linked to. It sounds to me like he was trying to use an automation view mode that he preferred to use, and yet everyone kept telling him to use a different one (automation lanes) instead. He didn't want to use automation lanes. It's his prerogative to use whatever the software offers that is his preferred way of working.

It also sounds like the view he prefers didn't work correctly for him. Another poster, late to the thread on the fourth page, replied that he has experienced the same problem. The one or two other users who checked on this feature had success with one type of track, but didn't seem to test both (all three?? is Sonar still using that clunky audio-track + MIDI-track = "synth track" model?) types, which the OP was having the problems with. It sounds like no one tested what he was doing. His explanations for what he was doing weren't great, but he was far from flippant or incoherent.

Ultimately, it appears both users with the problem are trying to use a part of Sonar that Cakewalk has unofficially deprecated. It's in there and it kind of works, but it's not getting paid attention by developers or support. It might have inconsistent buggy behavior depending on the type of tracks being viewed. Only those two users see the problems and no one wants to help them get that deprecated view mode to work reliably.

As for the mix issues he had, I have no idea what he was trying to do and there was definitely a lack of explicit, well-worded/written details on that. Still...

When I was using Sonar, my mixdown experiences were chaotic, for no discernible reason. I also found bugs left and right in different windowed views, and with behaviors on the main track list (some of which I reported, had verified, and support then somehow forgot about and couldn't even find my support tickets, when someone on the KVR forum claimed to look into my bug reports). There are features that never worked for me. I was told to upgrade to new versions because I was in the wrong for being a version or two behind the current paid upgrade. About six paid versions of this was my limit. So I finally gave up on Sonar.

Instead of bashing the users who have trouble using the product as it is, maybe consider doing the following:

3. Don't get all defensive when you lose a user to problems they had that you never understood when they tried to get help from you.

This.

I've never understood business personnel who cast aspersions on their paying customers in public, on an open forum - even if they're wrong(!). As if Cakewalk can afford to lose customers. :dog:
vespesian (sean)

You're in an amazing state - so stay there.

Jace-BeOS wrote:I just read the thread you linked to. It sounds to me like he was trying to use an automation view mode that he preferred to use, and yet everyone kept telling him to use a different one (automation lanes) instead. He didn't want to use automation lanes. It's his prerogative to use whatever the software offers that is his preferred way of working.

Not how most company forums work. You must FANBOI and keep arguing with the customer and making sure they have the latest drivers :hihi: Plus, then all the terrori......I mean worker bees must defend the queen at any cost.

It also helps to continuously keep ignoring facts. Like if something is a very well known problem, and the worker bees don't use that, it doesn't matter because you are not supposed to use the feature in the first place.

And everyone knows that people that have a problem are stupid, and that their only agenda is to troll, right? :hihi: Worker bees represent 20-40% of all internet problems :ud:

noelb wrote:I find it interesting how folks will extrapolate and generalize to assume the worst without even understanding the situation. For the record this is the thread that the OP posted on our forums (I searched for user names matching his KVR name):
http://forum.cakewalk.com/NEW-THREAD-Tr ... 57745.aspx

There are several users who tried to assist with his problems but he rejected most of their suggestions. After reading the thread even I couldn't figure out exactly what steps he was taking and running into problems. Mixdown is one of the simpler things to do in SONAR.

I also looked up this user and there were zero support cases logged by him. So as far as I can see he did not contact support unless it was via a different alias. (Correction: there were two cases logged but they had nothing to do with this issue - just basic install questions)
Now I will be the first to admit that we have had support issues the last few months. We lost a few support staff at a bad time when we had the lifetime updates announcements and it caused a backlog of cases. We've rectified that now and are rapidly catching up.
What exactly don'the you understand about this?

"but if the manual says I can select automation on ALL selected tracks, no lanes required...and if the manual says I can bounce to tracks right inside the same session, but I can't do either of these things, despite all the tech support previously and all the updates...well...Sonar Platinum doesn't work as stated"

I see on that thread people ignoring what the OP is saying and disrespecting him.

vintagevibe wrote: I see on that thread people ignoring what the OP is saying and disrespecting him.
Standby for the victory lap after the OP gives up for being berated. :party:

telecharge wrote:
vintagevibe wrote: I see on that thread people ignoring what the OP is saying and disrespecting him.
Standby for the victory lap after the OP gives up for being berated. :party:
Yes they do LOVE their victory lap :lol:
Say NO to CLAP!

Does it work as advertised now?

which advert are you looking at?

I'm remaining on the sidelines until support improves or a release gets a lot of positive attention.

telecharge wrote:I'm remaining on the sidelines until support improves or a release gets a lot of positive attention.
Actually, both of those have happened.
But you have to filter through the usual flood of forum negatives to see it.

Although what I find is better than 'improved support',
is when the product has improved enough to rarely need it in the first place.

Wonder what happened to the OP. His first post remained his last one until now. :roll:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”