Bela: an Embedded Platform for Low-Latency Interactive Audio {via Kickstarter}

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

DaveHoskins wrote:I presume it can go higher than 44.1Khz? Because that's so 30 years ago!
Hi Dave,
there are several factors that concurred to the choice of using a 44.1kHz sampling rate as default for Bela. The main limitation comes from the decision of packing in 8 analog ins, 8 analog outs, 16 digital GPIO, 2 audio. All of this I/O is handled by an onboard microcontroller, called the Programmable Realtime Unit, which runs at 200MHz and talks to the audio codec via the MCasp, to the ADC and DAC converters. The internal loop on the PRU currently runs at 88.2kHz, that is it takes about 11microseconds to complete. During one of the internal PRU loops the following happens:
- 1 channel of audio I/O is performed through the I2S bus
- 2 channels of analog I/O are performed through the SPI bus
- 16 channels of digital I/O are performed through the GPIOs
This loop is traversed twice for each audio sample (as we need to perform I/O for a total of 2 audio channels).

Now, communication over the SPI bus is pretty slow, as each operation takes about 1.2us and there are four of them in a loop (two writes, two reads). On top of this you have to consider the time it takes to communicate with the audio codec and the time to access the ARM memory from the PRU, and of course the time for the PRU itself to execute the instructions (which is typically 5ns each). Summing all of this together, we get to a total that is very close to 11us, so that would be no way to speed the loop up without getting rid of some of the I/Os. The loop was already pretty packed before we added digital I/O. We managed to fit them in only by doing the digital I/O while waiting for the slow SPI bus.
For this reason, 88.2kHz is the maximum speed at which we can run this loop, which is the maximum sampling rate achievable for analog I/O, as it should be by now clear from the above. Audio runs at half this sampling rate, that is 44.1kHz.

All of this said, the noise level on the Bela board is not comparable with that of a high-end piece of studio equipment. After all, in an expensive 2U rack unit, the audio board probably is not at a distance of 8mm from (and running off the same switching power supply as) the CPU.
While we are very happy with the performance Bela achieves we felt that exceeding the current specs of 44.1kHz/16bit just for the sake of it would have not brought any appreciable results for the user.
The audio codec is actually capable of 24-bit conversion, but Bela runs it at 16 bits which reduces the amount of data that needs to be exchanged between PRU and CPU. Limitations on noise floor mean that 24-bit conversion would not make an audible difference anyway. A similar argument can be made for sampling rates above 44.1kHz.

As it currently stands, the analog I/O can be performed at 22.05kHz (using up to 8 channels), 44.1kHz (using up to 4 channels) or 88.2kHz (using up to 2 channels).

You may find this post we just added to our website relevant to your question and it also explains the difference between analog and audio I/O on the board:
http://bela.io/audio-vs-analogue.html
Miles1981 wrote: Check on the page, it can do 2 channels at 88.2kHz on the non-audio parts, or 88.2kHz on the digital I/O, which is what is relevant when talking about stems .
Yes, it is true we can do 88.2kHz analog I/O (again check the post above for more clarification on what we mean by "analog") and we can do 88.2kHz digital I/O, but I feel I should specify here what we mean by digital I/O.
The Texas Instruments AM3358 processor, which is the core of the BeagleBone Black, comes with a number of General Purpose Input/Output. These are ultra-fast digital I/Os which are connected straight to the processor. With Bela they can be used, i.e.: to read from switches, bit shifters, other digital devices, or to drive LEDs, multiplexers, other digital devices or, if appropriately buffered with a circuit that can provide the required current, even motors and other actuators.
The Bela API samples the GPIO at 44.1kHz or 88.2kHz, synchronously .
These are by NO MEANS usable as channels for digital audio I/O (e.g.: to interconnect to S/PDIF, TOSLINK, ADAT ... ), as those sort of connections would require bit-clocks much higher than 44.1kHz or 88.2kHz.

Thanks for the information.

Any news about the Bela ? Someone here is already using one ?

I backed it but didn't get it yet. Very curious to hear experiences.

Ivan_C wrote:Any news about the Bela ? Someone here is already using one ?
Got mine a week or two back but havent set it up yet.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote:
Ivan_C wrote:Any news about the Bela ? Someone here is already using one ?
Got mine a week or two back but havent set it up yet.
Same here! Not used it, too many things to do otherise :/

got mine and been playing with it... (only waiting for the audio expander to arrive)

I like it, does everything they said it would... the software is pretty easy to use.
the forum is fairly active, so definitely many are starting to get to grips with it.

... I do think its a 'slow burner', its going to take a while for me to find exactly what/how I'm going to use it, and the software is also like that, a few examples but the emphasis is on writing your own stuff ( except perhaps if your into pure data, which I'm not)

anyway, so far so good... and living up to exceptions :)

I'd like to get one maybe to prototype "live" some analog modeling audio effects, do you think it would be powerful enough to do so ? For example to simulate the last effects Miles1981 included in his library ?

That's what I will try next month :)
No sure about the distortion effects yet, the rest should be good though.

Waiting for your report ;)

So, you have been able to try it ? :) Still wondering if there is enough processing power available to put some of my plugin algorithms into an embedded solution :D

Sorry, just started using it. Compilation is dead slow (also gcc 4.9), I have to port some code that has SIMD calls.
Still some issues connecting the platform on Windows and never tried to run code outside the Bela framework...

What kind of issues on Windows ?

EDIT : I have just seen you have started writing about this on your blog :D

Yes, I was about to say something here.
On Windows, the USB to Ethernet adapter has bugs for me, can't connect to the board with it, I'm currently investigating/installing/reinstalling the pilot :p

Otherwise, easy to compile, I haven't run all my unit tests, but the ones I tried passed with flying colors. Next step is to integrate ATK in a Bela project and run it with something simple like a low pass filter.

So some timings, just for fun. For a 2nd order EQ in double precision (which is done in software, contrary to floats), 64ki elements are processed in 0.06s on the Bela platform. I think that's pretty good...

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”