Line 6 Helix

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Swapping cables isn't going to do much to reduce that noise.
If the guitar is really close to the computer, the pickups are going to pickup EMI (noise).
If you've got a router in close proximity, some guitars will also pick that up.
Jim Roseberry
Purrrfect Audio
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

SJ_Digriz wrote:The one thing I've dealt with from a noise standpoint is from mouse movement over the usb connection. But I don't have to sit right on the computer, so I don't know how much localised RF off the computer would affect my setup. I'm sure there will be some even if well shielded if you are right on it.
Just that a couple of really good high gain patches the noise actually reverberates with the reverb tail :o Never experienced that before. The gate works great though. Just this weird reverb tail from the gate cutting off right after the noise is just slightly let through. Normal high gain/cruch/etc this is not a deal.

incubus wrote:
SJ_Digriz wrote:The one thing I've dealt with from a noise standpoint is from mouse movement over the usb connection. But I don't have to sit right on the computer, so I don't know how much localised RF off the computer would affect my setup. I'm sure there will be some even if well shielded if you are right on it.
Just that a couple of really good high gain patches the noise actually reverberates with the reverb tail :o Never experienced that before. The gate works great though. Just this weird reverb tail from the gate cutting off right after the noise is just slightly let through. Normal high gain/cruch/etc this is not a deal.
Sorry man, I don't do high gain, well unless I'm doing some crazy Mike Oldfield type stacking for violining stuff. But, not the same thing at all. So, don't run into that.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

It's fine, and it's not a huge thing. But I like to play light-fluffy parts all the way to a 7 string and everything in between.

BTW, despite what the casual observer thinks, so far so good. There are so many aspects that leave everything I've used in the dust, it's hard to think I'll go back to what I was using. Even though I did the "36 mo financing" I'll have it paid off in 3 or 4 months. Especially with all the crap I now need to sell :D

Can't wait to record some bass stuff and see how that sits in a mix w/o tampering.

incubus wrote: BTW, despite what the casual observer thinks, so far so good. There are so many aspects that leave everything I've used in the dust,
Funny, that's what I think about my Yamaha Variax. While it'd not my dream neck it's still very playable. I'm having a hard time justifying playing, keeping many guitars in my stable. Just wish they would come out with some more virtual guitars/pups from time to time.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

n/m, honestly....I have no idea what I'm talking about.

incubus wrote:n/m, honestly....I have no idea what I'm talking about.
lol, that should be my signature.

I have a twin inspired clean patch that I'm really enjoying. I'm using it to go through all of the effects. I'm also using an H9 and BigSky via stereo send/return. So far I prefer them to the internal modulation and reverbs. But, like most things like that its probably familiarity bias.

Hmmmmmm, I know this isn't about the helix specifically, but back to xlr cables/etc.

I just noticed that with the helix OFF there is still some line noise coming through those cables. I'm going to try to do some trouble shooting but these 1/4" to XLR going into the RME babyface pro are kinda old.

If the helix is off it would likely be a ground issue

Edit, nope.

Isn't there an SPDIF out? I would go digitally out and use the converters/phones output in your RME interface.

egbert wrote:Isn't there an SPDIF out? I would go digitally out and use the converters/phones output in your RME interface.
One, little, tini, tiny problem .... the helix is coaxial spidf and the babyface pro is optical :hihi:

This has been an issue for me for over 10 years. I've had the cables for years if I ever get both the same :lol:

Again, it's nothing horrible. Just pissed at myself because when I did all the nice little cleaning/organizing, I had completely forgotten that I was using a different TotalMix scheme and didn't have the gain up like I usually do (for the input)

So the next snapshot (rme) will be with the Helix stuff up, and the gain down. Which in theory should nail it.

You can get converters from coaxial to optical btw. There are others on Amazon etc. This will save you two lots of D/A and A/D conversion - anything being mixed in Totalmix and then coming out as audio has been through two conversions plus you are also getting the Helix converters in on the act. The phones output of RME is usually set up for max quality - better conversion scheme than other outputs.

Do they work? I'm 136 years old and have been waiting for that tech since forever :lol:

Cool though, I'll look into it.

BTW, it's not the sound quality that is an issue, and I don't want to get into some sample rate inconsistency, but I'll take all help with much appreciation, thanks egbert!

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”