Another Poor Cubase Victim... If I Had Only Known...

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Cubase Pro 13

I just thought others who might be considering Cubase should know this.

You only get to install the entire Cubase application, I'm talking, the main application and ALL associated Cubase vst's and content... ONCE!

Let's say you uninstall Cubase and maybe delete all Steinberg folders, then you decide later on that you would like to reinstall the ENTIRE program. Well, you are sadly, out of luck.

EVEN if you do a complete reset of your machine and wipe out ALL files and programs, the Cubase installer will STILL insist that you ALREADY HAVE ALL Cubase associated vst's and additional content on your drive.

The broken installer will NEVER allow you to install that additional content ever again, at least not on that same drive. Even if that content is not really there anymore, the initial install evidently leaves all kinds of residual "Steinberg was here" gost files all over your drive and the Cubase installer will NEVER, EVER, EVER let you reinstall that content.

There's seemingly nothing you can do, short of maybe formatting the drive or purchasing a brand new hard drive or computer.

Just about ANY other DAW out there will save you this grief.

Take it from me,
A sad, disappointed Cubase victim.

did you wrote to support? that doesn't seem normal.
dedication to flying

I've done this in the past without problems, although not for a while. Have you opened a support ticket? I would imagine it's a bug with the (un)installer rather than an intentional act (which would be pointless). i would get in touch with support.

rod_zero wrote:did you wrote to support? that doesn't seem normal.
Yes. I have written to support. They called me while I was in class but left NO WAY for me to call them back.

I have spent the last FOUR days trying to install it and it refuses. I even spent TWO DAYS removing all of my files and I did a COMPLETE RESET of my machine.

STILL, the Cubase installer refuses to install ALL content.

Astralp wrote:I've done this in the past without problems, although not for a while. Have you opened a support ticket? I would imagine it's a bug with the (un)installer rather than an intentional act (which would be pointless). i would get in touch with support.
The uninstaller shouldn't even be an issue at this point, as I did a complete RESET of my machine. I completely reinstalled Windows.

You did not completely reinstall Windows, or all the files would be gone. You installed Windows again over your existing install.
Bitwig Certified Trainer

billcarroll wrote:You did not completely reinstall Windows, or all the files would be gone. You installed Windows again over your existing install.
Yes. I did a complete system reset, through Windows and during that process it said "installing Windows". Are you actually trying to tell me that one HAS TO FORMAT their drive and use the media creation tool and do a completely new install of their OS to re-install Cubase?

Really?

I NEVER had to do ANYTHING like that to reinstall all of:
Reason
Live
FL
Sonar
Tracktion

Why would Cubase and Cubase ALONE require such an EXTREME accommodation?

Surely, Cubase can afford coders as good as those working for ImageLine and Tracktion, no?

IRBY wrote:
billcarroll wrote:You did not completely reinstall Windows, or all the files would be gone. You installed Windows again over your existing install.
Yes. I did a complete system reset, through Windows and during that process it said "installing Windows". Are you actually trying to tell me that one HAS TO FORMAT their drive and use the media creation tool and do a completely new install of their OS to re-install Cubase?

Really?

Reason
Live
FL
Sonar
Tracktion

Surely, Cubase can afford coders as good as those working for ImageLine and Tracktion, no?
I'm sorry you're having issues. It's likely there are entries in the Windows registry that are causing you grief.

I have no idea if you've called Steinberg, but it seems rather likely that a manual uninstall is something that can be accomplished.
Bitwig Certified Trainer

billcarroll wrote:
IRBY wrote:

Really?

Reason
Live
FL
Sonar
Tracktion

I'm sorry you're having issues. It's likely there are entries in the Windows registry that are causing you grief.

I have no idea if you've called Steinberg, but it seems rather likely that a manual uninstall is something that can be accomplished.
I wish I could uninstall it but Steinberg does not make an uninstaller for their products. You have to use the regular Windows uninstaller.

What Bill was saying is the root of your problem...
Registry entries

Installing Windows on top of itself won't remove those registry entries.

A full *manual* uninstall has three steps:
1. Use Programs And Features to run the uninstall routine (note that this leaves registry entries and folder remnants behind).

2. Delete all associated folders

3. Delete Registry entries under HKLM>Software and HKCU>Software

This type of issue can happen with any software.
The resolution is the same.
Jim Roseberry
Purrrfect Audio
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

user error...
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

Jim Roseberry wrote:What Bill was saying is the root of your problem...
Registry entries

This type of issue can happen with any software.
The resolution is the same.

I suppose this can theoretically happen with any software, but it's NEVER happened when I have re-installed Live, Tracktion, FL Studio, Studio One or Sonar, so I can only come to the conclusion that Cubase is uniquely problematic.

All they had to do was make an installer that lets you IGNORE previous installs and allows you to simply re-install everything, whether it is already installed or not, you know, like EVERY OTHER program that I have ever installed.

Steinberg has taught me to only expect problems and poor quality from the very beginning. This issue is just the icing on the cake.

I lost all of my respect for Steinberg for two other reasons, long before this particular installation nightmare.

1. I've been through TWO Steinberg keys, and pretty much already need another one because Steinberg uses the absolute cheapest, grade F plastic and glue in all of Asia to put that damn dongle together. The plastic cracks and the seams separate and fall apart under normal, gentle, home use. Seriously, I have caught much better quality plastic trinkets off of Mardi Gras floats!

2. The download/install/register/license/activate paradigm has always been an outdated, headache inducing, convoluted mess and an overall gigantic pain in the ass. Why is there no online installer like Sonar yet?

This is totally false info. And totally over dramatic. I am aware you have issue but come on.

I am on Windows 10. Using Cubase and steiny installers for the past 15 years.

Everything you said and claim that it can not be done and that Steinberg is extreme blabla - i have done numerous times with no problems and no need to contact support. :shrug:

Installed their content, their VSTs, removed, installed again etcetc. AFAIK they don't have any problem if you change machine twice a week if you like. Everything is on dongle when it comes to their copy protection. In fact i have their installations and did their uninstallations at three computers in the studios and everything is working as long as there is key inside.

Installers are working as every other software.

Your situation completely does not make sense. And they tried to contact you but they could not reach you. What do you want to do here?

Ever occurred that if that is the case - that steinberg have ultra shitty installers which are leaving traces which then are blocking your attempt to install everything again or do whatever you want to do - we would already know and hear about it?
Last edited by kmonkey on Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

IRBY wrote:
I wish I could uninstall it but Steinberg does not make an uninstaller for their products. You have to use the regular Windows uninstaller.
What on Earth are you talking about??? Every single component can be uninstalled. You can uninstall separate sound banks, and or instruments which where installed on the top of default installation.

Dude you are spreading a lot of false info.

"Regular windows uninstaller" is Cubase uninstaller and it just works as every damn uninstaller ever existed.

Cubase once when it installed properly is offering at least 8 individual uninstallers for internal components.

Look man Cubase comes with a lot of included plugins (synths and FX). So does Live, FL Studio, Sonar and yadayada. These can not be uninstalled like in every other DAW ever existed (they are called default internal content plugins) but certainly there is plugin manager and you can hide content you don't use - just as in EVERY other DAW i ever played with.

I've never heard someone calling himself a victim because hey he can not uninstall Ableton default free plugins. Because hey there is no uninstaller for it.

Get over yourself and your drama. Something is wrong with your setup. Try to contact Steinberg directly and stop spreading nonsense on public forum. And this time allow them to reach you. Don't play games on phone.

A victim....oh boy...

It's still technically a bug in the installer if it's just checking a registry entry and taking that as absolute gospel that the content is on the disk.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”