Realistic Orchestra

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

VSL is probably the Cadillac of these libraries. It also costs an arm and a leg. But yeah, if you want the best, that'll probably be your go to.

wagtunes wrote:VSL is probably the Cadillac of these libraries. It also costs an arm and a leg. But yeah, if you want the best, that'll probably be your go to.
The Special Edition is quite inexpensive however, next to most of the big league,but you were probably referring to the complete packages with all the volumes combined.

Try Notation 6 (presonus score editor) the doings that come with it are realy very good and I find if easier ro score orchestra party with suitable articulation in a score editor....the iPad app is also pretty good if you want a realy low cost option!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

I tend to mix up a bunch of different ones; for example, SampleTank Free uses strings from the Miroslav library, and combined with Somatina the results are quite compelling.

https://soundcloud.com/reggie-may/funky-nut-remix

Big Busker wrote:I tend to mix up a bunch of different ones; for example, SampleTank Free uses strings from the Miroslav library, and combined with Somatina the results are quite compelling.

https://soundcloud.com/reggie-may/funky-nut-remix
Yeah, like it's been said before, if any one of the big names switched from, say, Albion to Sonatina, they'd almost definetely be still writing excellent music.

To be fair while I appreciate what was done with Sonatina and other free orchestral instruments and samples (and I do), but they aren't really in the same league as VSL and other big commercial libraries sound or articulation wise. You can create a more believable mockup if you can throw unlimited money at it.

By the by if you'll forgive the off topicness, if anyone ever wants to make any demos using my stuff, I'd love to link them from the the blog.

bigcat1969 wrote:To be fair while I appreciate what was done with Sonatina and other free orchestral instruments and samples (and I do), but they aren't really in the same league as VSL and other big commercial libraries sound or articulation wise. You can create a more believable mockup if you can throw unlimited money at it.

By the by if you'll forgive the off topicness, if anyone ever wants to make any demos using my stuff, I'd love to link them from the the blog.
Indeed, but I meant to emphasise that a great composer isn't necessarily as reliant on expensive and amazing tools, as someone just starting out might mistake.

Of course the process is always more inspiring and pleasant, the better the tools, but if you listen to some mid-late-90s, early 2000 videogame soundtracks, they mocked up and even recorded on cheap rompler-sounds, some do sound pretty amazing on today's standards. Actually, for the most part, the writing is much better than today, just the sound hasn't aged that well.

Like they always say, a great piece is still a great piece even when it's played in a GM sound module. :lol:

The thing about VSL needing some massaging to the samples, though.

Here's a Brass comparison video, that runs through multiple latest/top libraries and patches/ensembles. I don't wish to spoil it, but wait it until the end when VSL comes in.v :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrEvNhNl0XE

Fun video...I never realized Metropolis Ark sounded so good!

thejonsolo wrote:Fun video...I never realized Metropolis Ark sounded so good!
Too bad they didn't record it very flexible, only upwards from mf.

Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

wow, after seing so much praise for VSL being one of the best that guy who made video either made sure it sounds like a piece of garbage or it does really sound like shit.

Elektronisch wrote:wow, after seing so much praise for VSL being one of the best that guy who made video either made sure it sounds like a piece of garbage or it does really sound like shit.
I assure you. It's the guy. Anyone can make anything sound bad.

Trust me on that.

thejonsolo wrote:Fun video...I never realized Metropolis Ark sounded so good!
Ark sounds very good, but is a library oriented for epic sounds. The "pure" orchestral libraries from Orchestral Tools are the Berlin Series, and the strings sound absolutely astounding, IMO (of course, the price is also astounding, in the bad way :( ). That said, I have to repeat what has been said about VSL. It may sound fantastic, but users have to learn how to use it, and properly process its sound. Its not an instant gratification library, like Metropolis Ark, or Albion libraries.
Fernando (FMR)

wagtunes wrote:
Elektronisch wrote:wow, after seing so much praise for VSL being one of the best that guy who made video either made sure it sounds like a piece of garbage or it does really sound like shit.
I assure you. It's the guy. Anyone can make anything sound bad.

Trust me on that.
If you keep an eye on the modulation meters, you can see he did some editing/tweaking on the other libraries performance, so they're not played out-of-the-box, even if the sound might be.

So, it seems strange that he would've left the VSL as-it-is, but then the problem isn't as much in the dynamics, but the sparse transitions, that make it sound synthetic and cheap GM-like.

Return to “Instruments”