Which are the "most" normal looking DAWs?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Numanoid wrote:
ShawnG wrote:The reason why Tracktion's gui isn't for everybody isn't really how it looks, it's that Tracktion does not have a horizontal mixer option, and it's hard for some to adjust to mixing vertically.
But why is it more "normal/familair" to have a mixer horizontal instead of vertically?

That is kind of the whole point of the OP, what kind of DAWs has made a mixer horizontally "normal"
the horizontal mixer is just a hangover from hardware - makes no sense at all to me in software where the link between track and meters can be explicit

chaosWyrM wrote:
Numanoid wrote:
FL Studio comes across as a drum machine, ...

:shrug:
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Numanoid wrote: But why is it more "normal/familair" to have a mixer horizontal instead of vertically?
I think that's because the hardwares came up like that first.... So people are used to it...

Zexila wrote:
lol. no one uses it like that. you might as well say computers look like crappy old 80s games because of this:

http://originalpacman.com/
ImageImageImage

Zexila wrote:
chaosWyrM wrote:
Numanoid wrote:

Yes, I also believe that FL Studio is the most powerful and deep DAW out there.

But for the first time users, opening a default project, will be presented with four tracks, kick, snare, hi-hat and clap, each at 16 bars.

Just like an old school drum machine plug

Numanoid wrote:
Zexila wrote:
chaosWyrM wrote:
Numanoid wrote:

Yes, I also believe that FL Studio is the most powerful and deep DAW out there.

But for the first time users, opening a default project, will be presented with four tracks, kick, snare, hi-hat and clap, each at 16 bars.

Just like an old school drum machine plug
yeah...it does do that...mine doesnt do that, but i know it does.

i have mine open with nothing but an empty sampler (only because you cant have just nothing) with a limiter on the master and thats it.
ImageImageImage

Numanoid wrote: Yes, I also believe that FL Studio is the most powerful and deep DAW out there.

what is FL Studio like for music that is not beat based - soundscapes and so on. I must admit I always see it is an expanded 808 drum machine

Can it do things like stretch and loop midi clips so that the same clip might have one version that is 1 second long and another version stretch to 1.1 seconds and then loop the two clips to play phasing against each other? For audio to?

In b4 "reaper can look normal or alien"
dedication to flying

woggle wrote:
Numanoid wrote: Yes, I also believe that FL Studio is the most powerful and deep DAW out there.

what is FL Studio like for music that is not beat based - soundscapes and so on. I must admit I always see it is an expanded 808 drum machine

Can it do things like stretch and loop midi clips so that the same clip might have one version that is 1 second long and another version stretch to 1.1 seconds and then loop the two clips to play phasing against each other? For audio to?
i use it to make non beat driven soundscapes and ambient all the time.

as for your specific questions... you wouldnt "loop" clips (patterns?) in fl studio...if you want it to loop, just put it in again. if you want to stretch it...yes you can do that.

if you want 2 versions of a clip that last 2 different amounts of times...then thats 2 different clips...just put 2 clips in. one thats 1 second and one thats 1.1 second. then put them into the playlist as many times as you want them to "loop".

or am i not understanding what you are asking to do?
ImageImageImage

chaosWyrM wrote:
woggle wrote:

as for your specific questions... you wouldnt "loop" clips (patterns?) in fl studio...if you want it to loop, just put it in again. if you want to stretch it...yes you can do that.

if you want 2 versions of a clip that last 2 different amounts of times...then thats 2 different clips...just put 2 clips in. one thats 1 second and one thats 1.1 second. then put them into the playlist as many times as you want them to "loop".

thanks for replying - sounds like it can do what I am wanting - I will test the demo. I am not used to using a playlist which have looked to me like they force a sort of quantised block way of working where clips get synced to the grid. Looking at FL Studio video I see there is a paint tool that is much the same as how Reaper works for looping.

oh, effectively for midi and audio what I want stretching to achieve is to have the same material play at different rates while keeping the pitch the same. For some reason DAWs don't allow different playrates on different tracks although computers can handle that easily
Last edited by woggle on Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:33 am, edited 3 times in total.

I can tell already. This is gonna be one of those threads.

woggle wrote:
chaosWyrM wrote:
woggle wrote:

thanks for replying - sounds like it can do what I am wanting - I will test the demo. I am not used to using a playlist which have looked to me like they force a sort of quantised block way of working where clips get synced to the grid. Looking at FL Studio video I see there is a paint tool that is much the same as how Reaper works for looping.
np...as far as the blocky forced quantised synced to grid thing goes....well that is the kind of default...simply because thats how "most" people work i guess. but youre not locked into that at all. the patterns can be made as long or short as you want them and you can turn off the snap to grid function entirely or change how it works to better suit your needs.
ImageImageImage

xcentric wrote:I can tell already. This is gonna be one of those threads.
Yeah, we just need a Reaper guy, FL representative and Edward. :hihi:
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

chaosWyrM wrote: np...as far as the blocky forced quantised synced to grid thing goes....well that is the kind of default...simply because thats how "most" people work i guess. but youre not locked into that at all. the patterns can be made as long or short as you want them and you can turn off the snap to grid function entirely or change how it works to better suit your needs.
thanks again - definitely will give it a go now

chaosWyrM wrote:lol. no one uses it like that. you might as well say computers look like crappy old 80s games because of this:

http://originalpacman.com/
Just hinting on what he probably aimed at/taught when he said that. :wink:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”