Nord lead 4 for EDM...worth it?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So there I was in the music store today sampling this instrument. Great filters, nice basses, good range in sounds. I had $2300 in my pocket but I asked my self if I really need it. I mean I'm an electronic music producer, this is a performance keyboard. Does the sound quality blow every soft synth out of the water? Probably not. Part of the problem was I was hearing it on a crappy pa with feedback but still is it really worth forking out 2k on something like this if most of the music you do isn't performance based? Yes it has a clock but its arpeggiator wasn't really that impressive anyway. I could see how id work in a live environment but what if you were just looking for something with a different timbre, more in your face sound to use every now and then?

I'm trying to weigh up the pros and cons here to make a decision. Maybe if the people in the store offered better service, showed me how to use it, asked me if I needed help for that matter I may have a different perspective. Is NL4 really the go-to synth for edm? And how can it be of use in that setting?

I am somewhat proud to call a Nord Lead 3 my own. I cannot say, that I would buy it again in the today's world of soft synths, but I'm still happy that I did years ago. It looks awesome, I have a lot of fun playing with it and it sounds great and even unique sometimes - even though most software synthesizers worth 200€ are way more versatile.

I don't know how much has changed from NL3 to NL4, but if you are into hardware synthesizers and spending 2k$ doesn't hurt you too much, buy it! It is a really great synthesizer.

But generally speaking, I fear that the time of hardware is over. I was surprised and shocked how absolutely useless my Virus B has become after I bought Sylenth1.

vegaron wrote:I am somewhat proud to call a Nord Lead 3 my own. I cannot say, that I would buy it again in the today's world of soft synths, but I'm still happy that I did years ago. It looks awesome, I have a lot of fun playing with it and it sounds great and even unique sometimes - even though most software synthesizers worth 200€ are way more versatile.

I don't know how much has changed from NL3 to NL4, but if you are into hardware synthesizers and spending 2k$ doesn't hurt you too much, buy it! It is a really great synthesizer.

But generally speaking, I fear that the time of hardware is over. I was surprised and shocked how absolutely useless my Virus B has become after I bought Sylenth1.
So what about the quality of hard vs soft. Does such a thing exist in your opinion?

Well, it depends on the synth. As I said, the Virus B is pretty much outdated and useless for me as every software synthesizer I tested (Sylenth, Massive, Spire, Serum, Icarus, Padshop), sounds better. Or more modern to be correct, not better.

The NL3 on the other hand I still use in production. It has a very nice unison mode, which does not use up the polyphony, contrary to the Virus B.

If money is your primary concern, I would either wait until someone answers you who actually owns an NL4 or buy one of the really expensive soft synths like Falcon or Omnisphere 2.

If not, I still think it is nice to own a Nord Lead. It still sound great and you have actually something you can touch, which – in my opinion – makes programming sounds easier.

But maybe you should wait for at least for a second opinion.

Kinh wrote:Is NL4 really the go-to synth for edm? And how can it be of use in that setting?
NL4 (rack version) owner here. I would not call it *the* go-to EDM synth, but it's certainly very capable of handling EDM, particularly with its range of wavetables and new effects. Preset-wise, I don't think it comes across as an EDM synth the way a Virus or Sylenth, Spire, Hive, etc do, but it will definitely cover much of the same territory. The Freemasons bank shows off its EDM capabilities, so maybe try searching for some audio demos of that bank. Also, try searching youtube for some NL4 sound examples, specifically with the term EDM in your search and you should probably find at least a few examples to help you decide.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | SX7

cryophonik wrote:
Kinh wrote:Is NL4 really the go-to synth for edm? And how can it be of use in that setting?
NL4 (rack version) owner here. I would not call it *the* go-to EDM synth, but it's certainly very capable of handling EDM, particularly with its range of wavetables and new effects. Preset-wise, I don't think it comes across as an EDM synth the way a Virus or Sylenth, Spire, Hive, etc do, but it will definitely cover much of the same territory. The Freemasons bank shows off its EDM capabilities, so maybe try searching for some audio demos of that bank. Also, try searching youtube for some NL4 sound examples, specifically with the term EDM in your search and you should probably find at least a few examples to help you decide.
I cant find any videos on people using it for that purpose, its more just performance related music like leads and EPs and stuff. I dont own Sylenth but got Spire and Hive. To me those synths dont cut through enough, they're a bit soft. Basically what Im after is something that stands alone, more a driving synth rather than auxiliary if that makes sense. I realise most of the NL presets aren't EDM suited but from a sound designers pov - the oscillators, how far can they go in that respect? Can you produce some really sterile electro stuff. I couldn't hear them properly at the store cause the PA was 60% feedback. Not really after an analogue sound.
Do you have examples of stuff you've recorded with it?

It's up to you if it's worth it or not. Hardware is as much about the workflow and inspiration derived from not holding a mouse and staring at a screen than the sound quality.

To my ears hardware still sounds better than plugins (even when it's DSP) but other have the inexplicable opinion that plugins sound better than a Virus B.

You can start with Discovery plugin. It has the archeticture copied from Nordlead and similar sound. Some people say it sounds almost indistinguishable, some disagree but still it can help you to understand if the range of sounds Discovery/Nord can make suits your needs.

If you need a hardware synth for EDM then it is absolutely Virus TI. It is far more capable than Nord and sounds great. I like it's sound more than Spire or Serum, let alone Hive, Icarus and the like. For that matter, TI is later model than Virus B, lots of useful stuff has been added to it. Also, if you are an ITB guy, it is important that Virus comes with a plugin editor which you may use almost as a regular synth plugin in your DAW.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

tehlord wrote:It's up to you if it's worth it or not. Hardware is as much about the workflow and inspiration derived from not holding a mouse and staring at a screen than the sound quality.

To my ears hardware still sounds better than plugins (even when it's DSP) but other have the inexplicable opinion that plugins sound better than a Virus B.
I did a comparison years ago on Gearslutz of a Virus Ti vs Virus Powercore playing the same Virus B Overture patch. The only audible difference was down to the free cycling of the LFOs.

Another aspect of going hardware - and especially Nord synths - is that you get a very hands on approach to the music. If you are used by plugins only - then a hardware synth will involve one or two more extra steps. Setting the levels, recording it, automation etc. But once you are used to that it's easier to make changes on the fly on sounds - the Nords have a good layout and workflow and once you are used to that - you will be making your own sounds quicker than with a plugin.

When it comes to sounds - EDM at its core isn't really about complex sounds. A simple sawtooth, with the right filter envelope can just kill. If I would want a EDM synth I would either pick a Virus or a Nord. The Virus has a much more versatile sound - but requires more of the user if you want to really learn the synth. The Nord is easier but much more hands on - and that is something that easily gets overlooked when comparing specs.

/C
CLUB VICE for ARTURIA PIGMENTS
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

Had a Nord Lead 2 and the newer model 4. Both are fantastic, especially the newer iteration. I've also had a Virus as well.

I sold all my hardware, I don't really regret it tbh. Personally, I think the Nord 4L blows apart any soft synth at the starting gate (especially with its filters). Virus as well (But I love the Virus sound).

However, after processing/FX and mastering any decent softie will sound great. So I don't believe in any 'go to' edm synth. But I think hardware will get you there quicker.

As for having that whole tactile control with hardware - I just use my midi keyboard for that.

If you want it - get it. But it won't make your music particularly special. That will be down to you...
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

It's fun to interact with hardware, permanently mapped knobs. It's bright red, a little look-at-me status in there, and it can be a joy to own something tangible. There's never been any doubt as to Clavia/Nord quality engineering, or longevity.

There are software instruments that sound just as good, or maybe do more.. but whether the joy of owning, learning, playing and interacting are worth the premium over your MIDI controller only you can decide. I personally think a hardware instrument is worth a premium.
11, 418th in line to the KVR throne

Kinh wrote:Can you produce some really sterile electro stuff. I couldn't hear them properly at the store cause the PA was 60% feedback. Not really after an analogue sound.
Do you have examples of stuff you've recorded with it?
Sorry, just saw this. I don't produce any electro myself, but probably the closest thing I can think of I've produced is the breakdown section at about 3:07 in this song (all NL4 + Turnado):

https://soundcloud.com/covalente/phoenix-rising
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | SX7

With 2,300 you could get a used Virus ti keyboard which is more suited to your genre. (If you mean stuff like Hardwell).

The Roland system 1 has a very agressive sound that would be ideal for that too. And it has many controls and would be a good controller for soft synths. I would also wait for the new Roland system 8.

The Nord while sounding good I feel it is quite overpriced.
dedication to flying

rod_zero wrote:With 2,300 you could get a used Virus ti keyboard which is more suited to your genre. (If you mean stuff like Hardwell).

The Roland system 1 has a very agressive sound that would be ideal for that too. And it has many controls and would be a good controller for soft synths. I would also wait for the new Roland system 8.

The Nord while sounding good I feel it is quite overpriced.
I meant 2,300 australian dollar. Virus rack is 3k here, a bit out of my budget. Everyone keeps saying the virus is out of date anyway and its got more a trance sound than anything.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”