Planned Obsolescence

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Aryaroman wrote:Funny thing is, I feel those guys are doing worse music than a decade ago. Just listen to David Guetta and even Jarre.
Yeah, for sure, my reply was solely on advancing in craft, which doesn't equals better music, they are making music for the market, which sucks, still it's not pushing the button, even that nonsense is taught out, made to sound good and accepted by masses, that's labor for itself too and seeks special kind of people to pull that off, it's not for everyone and not everyone manage to get there.

Personally I could maybe come up with idea that could be golden, but I can't pull it off or be serious about it, spend my time chasing that, I'm not getting fulfillment there, but they are getting and they are serious about it, spend years and tears on it, that's something not everybody can. :tu:
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Of course it's planned.
Although it is expressed in market calculations as 'saturation point'.

Who is to plan it? Unlike a washing machine, where makers can indeed build in components which will break after a few years, a software developer makes a product that doesn't suffer any wear and tear. They can't plan anything as they don't know what other developers will come up with in the future, stuff that might outdo their own.
The pseudo-obsolescence comes from the mind of the user, not from the product as such.

fluffy_little_something wrote:Who is to plan it? Unlike a washing machine, where makers can indeed build in components which will break after a few years, a software developer makes a product that doesn't suffer any wear and tear. They can't plan anything as they don't know what other developers will come up with in the future, stuff that might outdo their own.
The pseudo-obsolescence comes from the mind of the user, not from the product as such.
I call it paranoia

Weird thread.

I guess, to chime in or w/e.

I'm personally a lot more worried about the planned obsolescence of my ears, than my VSTs.

its not the synths. its your brickwall limiter numbing the FK out of your eardrums over extended
periods. Back off the compression and hot, brickwalled levels and delight in wonderful dynamic music.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Neon Breath wrote:What do you mean, "planned obsolescence" ? Like the developpers are coding sound degradation into they synths so they start sounding bad and poor over time?? :lol:

You don't really think that do you? And why would they do that? I really doubt that would be a clever marketing strategy for keeping their customers.
:tu:

I think it is going on I'm sure. Especially when the new product or upgrade is coming out

Musically I tend to think the majority of soft-synths are recreations or variations on a theme, there's only a few that really break new ground. And therein is the case of starting up soft synth X and initially thinking "wow, this makes me sound just like the big guys" and then a week later "sigh - this makes me sound just like the big guys".

So I don't think it's obsolence, more a case of far too much same same.. That awesome SAW Sound, how different can it be across 50+ different VSTi's? Use it in a different context and don't try to sound like <insert name here> - then you'll get results, and not regurgitation.

My opinion anyway :)
Don't Tech No for an Answer

Guenon wrote:
Dasheesh wrote:Huge difference between guitarists and edm kids. Guitarists start at the beginning and work their way up as they get better. They have to know how to play to advance. EDM kids just hit the power button. Their biggest talent is taking their shirt off.
Nah, there's absolutely no difference. Both put in enormous effort when they're good. Like "over eight hours every day just to get better" type of effort and attention to detail and skill. And when they are more into posing than their craft instead, both are equally interested in "taking their shirt off" instead of working.

And that's okay, you know. In any case, they are entirely similar indeed.
Amateurs!

I take my pants off!

Free willyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!
"The educated person is one who knows how to find out what he does not know" - George Simmel
“It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.” - John Wooden

emcee wrote:Musically I tend to think the majority of soft-synths are recreations or variations on a theme, there's only a few that really break new ground. And therein is the case of starting up soft synth X and initially thinking "wow, this makes me sound just like the big guys" and then a week later "sigh - this makes me sound just like the big guys".

So I don't think it's obsolence, more a case of far too much same same.. That awesome SAW Sound, how different can it be across 50+ different VSTi's? Use it in a different context and don't try to sound like <insert name here> - then you'll get results, and not regurgitation.

My opinion anyway :)
Yeah. You're probably right.

It's always when I'm slaving over the computer that I think the plugin is the problem.

Also, it's strange that retro sounds like the mellotron are still sought after to this day.

djmino02 wrote: Also, it's strange that retro sounds like the mellotron are still sought after to this day.
Why? The piano sound has more than 200 years and is still sought after. And what about the strings? These instruments have more than 600 years, and sre still sought after. And the acoustic guitar has like 500 years.
Fernando (FMR)

If I make my own patches I'll think I have something good going and then I'll use a preset from another instrument and be blown away.

djmino02 wrote:
Neon Breath wrote:What do you mean, "planned obsolescence" ? Like the developpers are coding sound degradation into they synths so they start sounding bad and poor over time?? :lol:

You don't really think that do you? And why would they do that? I really doubt that would be a clever marketing strategy for keeping their customers.
:tu:

I think it is going on I'm sure. Especially when the new product or upgrade is coming out
Prove it. Sample a preset of a synth of the version 1.0 and the same preset version 2,3 or more and compare those. I'm sure they'll sound the same for 99% of all synths.

Unless you prove it with facts, this is all way too subjective and I don't believe that audio synth conspiracy ! :P

Damn, and I though this thread was about Apple (aka the evil empire). *bows out*

Return to “Instruments”