Best way to authorise Reason 9?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

OK I just updated and have been going through the authorisation options. At the moment I am using the login to account method but I don't like having to do that every time I start it up as it slows things down. So I could either use hard drive authorisation or get an Ignition key. Since I already have an iLok and e-Licenser I don't have a problem with dongles on principle but it will take up another USB slot on my hub. So hard drive authorisation is most tempting but what is the Prop's policy if the hard drive fails?

Good question. I too have thought about getting a dongle/key but for some reason I think someone here talked me out of it.

BTW, have you signed up at reasontalk dot com?

aMUSEd wrote:OK I just updated and have been going through the authorisation options. At the moment I am using the login to account method but I don't like having to do that every time I start it up as it slows things down. So I could either use hard drive authorisation or get an Ignition key. Since I already have an iLok and e-Licenser I don't have a problem with dongles on principle but it will take up another USB slot on my hub. So hard drive authorisation is most tempting but what is the Prop's policy if the hard drive fails?
As Reason is in your Propellerhead account forever, i wouldn't really bother about a hard drive crash. The worst which can happen is that your Reason tracks and preferences are gone, when you hard drive fails. If you want to use Reason on multiple computers (not at the same time), you have to use a dongle, because you can only authorize one computer at a time. But you can use the login method on the other computer in any case, you only need to be online for that, obviously. So, you can use Reason on multiple computers without a dongle too, it's just that one computer is authorized, the others need to do it via the login method. AFAIK.

Great thanks, so hard drive authorisation is safe then for Reason. Don't need to use it on other computers at present so don't need the dongle, I presume if I did though I could transfer it to the dongle in future?

aMUSEd wrote:Great thanks, so hard drive authorisation is safe then for Reason. Don't need to use it on other computers at present so don't need the dongle, I presume if I did though I could transfer it to the dongle in future?
You can de-authorise your computer and then authorise a new one.
If your authorised computer blows up I think you have to contact Propellerhead for them to sort out the problem.
If you authorise two computers and use them at the same time two Swedes come round and kneecap you. Or you get a warning email. Keep doing it and you get locked out.

Grum.

My main hard drive failed last year and I had Reason 8 authorized to it. I thought I could install a new hard drive and not worry too much about authorization...but the temptation for a faster and larger drive won over the irritation of reauthorizing everything.

Propellerheads makes it easy. Go to Products, Reason, Manage License, and simply click Remove License from the computer it is authorized to. Your only issue might be reinstalling CodeMeter Container and getting a new authorization up and running quickly. Once I figured out which version to install (I was on Windows 10) it was over and done with no real issues (other than installing Container on a fresh Windows 10 which is likely fixed in the latest version).

Thanks - I've authorised my computer now - much faster startup now

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”