If you had $3000

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Here's a little game;

If you had approx $3000 to spend on a hardware setup from scratch what would be the things you buy? (You already have monitors and audio interface)

Synths, drum machines, effects, mixers, samplers etc

:)

Virus TI Polar. 'nuff said. :P (and most of the $3000 spent anyway...)

Coke and hookers :party:

AnX wrote:Coke and hookers :party:
I'm gonna hang out with AnX for a week...and then get 90% of a Korg Kronos.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

planetearth wrote:
I'm gonna hang out with AnX for a week...and then get 90% of a Korg Kronos.

Steve
And if the first 3 responses are any indication, we musicians either don't know how to handle money wisely...or we just never seem to have enough for what we want. :wink:

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

It really depends on your reasons for buying hardware, how you want to use it, what kind of music you want to make etc.

Analog RYTM and Analog4 (that's what I bought!)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live+PUSH 3 Standalone, Reason, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote:Analog RYTM and Analog4 (that's what I bought!)

I am going for the same, I already got an Analog keys (At some palces discounted at 1350 USD.)

But depends a lot on the kind of set up you want, given what I have now probably I would get a Rytm and a 61 keys synth, either a Virus Ti second hand or wait for the new roland stuff.

If I was starting from scratch I will go Ableton Live + Push 2 all the way.
dedication to flying

I have an Analog 4 and had a Rytm. I would recommend them both, but under the caveat that you need to know how you want to work as you're pretty much forced to do thing the Elektron way.

I actually prefer using Live for drums over the Rytm so I'm now using an APC instead of the Rytm.

Secondhand Rompler - preferably with a keyboard so a Roland XP50, Ensoniq ZR or Kurzweil K2xxx (which are often cheap if you're prepared to go pick 'em up because they're frickin' heavy). If you go for a Kurzweil, you might not need a sampler on top – I'd pick a secondhand Akai Z8 sampler or Emu for the sampler. Then try and work out if I can get enough of a Eurorack off the rest of the money or go for one of the Dave Smith analogue modules.

Roland FA-06, JD-XA... and then go over the budget by $200 and add a Yamaha MG10XU. The 'XA compliments the FA series.. and having two synths from the same 'family' will help get you up to speed more quickly. Both of these have enough on-board effects, that you get immediate usable sounds, without having to add a lot of additional gear. Who knows though.. maybe after 09/09 - there will be deals on this gear, and you'll be within budget.

---
Last edited by Chapelle on Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

If my budget for gear was just $3k, I probably wouldn't buy any. Maybe a 5-year CD or money market investment... :shrug:

Not an exciting answer and you won't make much during that period of time, but it's certainly better than blowing your wad all at once.

There is so much awesome stuff out there in terms of software... and the used prices for groove boxes and 15-year old VAs are just so low right now. You can get a setup that will be a lot of fun for <$1000. Use that for a while and save until you've got at least $10k to spend (with capital still invested). That's walking around money. :hihi:

I got about $200,000

But still aint buying hardware :borg:

Diet or regular coke? Would you like fries with that?

A computer to go with the monitors and interface that I already have.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”