System Overload on superfast Mac pro with Logic X

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi there!

I recently bought a Macbook Pro to be able to do mixes on the fly. The thing is though, after a couple of months I now get system overload on like 20 tracks with some bussends and not even fully mixed. I get that some plugins are very heavy but I feel like I should be able to have the heaviest of the heaviest plugins on my computer since the specs are:

3,1 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

My diskspace is 200 GB used and 50 GB unused

And my settings on Logic audio preferences are:

Buffer size 1024
Processing Threads 4
Buffer range Large

I don't know if this has got anything to do with it but I'm able to listen through a song if I don't move the mouse, but when I simply move the mouse I get system overload.

Since there's no support worth mentioning on Logic X I'm now turning to you guys. ANy help would be much appreciated!

poiuwert wrote:Hi there!

I recently bought a Macbook Pro to be able to do mixes on the fly. The thing is though, after a couple of months I now get system overload on like 20 tracks with some bussends and not even fully mixed. I get that some plugins are very heavy but I feel like I should be able to have the heaviest of the heaviest plugins on my computer since the specs are:

3,1 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

Buffer size 1024
Processing Threads 4
Buffer range Large

I don't know if this has got anything to do with it but I'm able to listen through a song if I don't move the mouse, but when I simply move the mouse I get system overload.

Since there's no support worth mentioning on Logic X I'm now turning to you guys. ANy help would be much appreciated!
What do you mean by "system overload"? Do you get an actual error message saying that?

What are you using for an audio interface, and are you sure you have the latest drivers for it?

Which versions of OSX and Logic X are you using?

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

There's valis guy on GearSlutz that is kinda wizard for Logic issues, here's one quote:
There can be other reasons for cover overload too, that trick is simply to help distribute core load. You'll notice for instance the last output pair has TWO auxes cascaded to split the plugin load there.

But in the case of no external plugins causing cover overload you have the cases already given before:

Too much going on in a single Instance: I get this more with Kontakt instances that have MULTIPLE programs loaded, especially those with heavy scripts and/or internal Impulse reverbs and heavy internal processing etc. I also get core overloads with Guru when trying to run all engines with lots of parameter automation etc (btw you should check the guru options for a 'fix' that insures higher accuracy/sync to Logic's clock...if you didn't see that already. It's in the latest beta on the forums).

There are 2 other sources of issues too though, both related to 'live mode' in Logic running on the (last) single core always at a smaller buffer size. If your process buffer is set to medium I believe that Logic runs the 'mix' buffer at a 1024 buffersize to increase efficiency.

The reason it's important to understand this is because there's also the 'recording' latency buffer, which is the buffersize that audio objects use when they are in "live mode". So if you have a Kontakt or Guru instance that's percolating along just fine at 40% cpu usage at 1024 samples, and your 'recording' latency is set to 32 or 64 samples, throwing that VI into 'live mode' can quite easy overload the last core.

What enables live mode?
- Select a track to 'play it' (whether record armed too).
- Set a track's Live input monitoring switch to on (so that it can 'always be heard' whether VI or audio track).
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

planetearth wrote:
poiuwert wrote:Hi there!

3,1 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

Buffer size 1024
Processing Threads 4
Buffer range Large

What do you mean by "system overload"? Do you get an actual error message saying that?

What are you using for an audio interface, and are you sure you have the latest drivers for it?

Which versions of OSX and Logic X are you using?

Steve
Hi Steve!

I get this message:

"SYSTEM OVERLOAD
The audio engine was unable to process all required data in time.
You can try increasing the I/O buffer size, change the Multithreading option at Logic Pro X > Preferences > Audio > Devices."

I'm using the built in audio in/out of the Macbook pro and I have El Capitan 10.11.3 and my Logic X version is 10.2.2

Zexila wrote: What enables live mode?
- Set a track's Live input monitoring switch to on (so that it can 'always be heard' whether VI or audio track).
[/quote]

Thank you! I don't really understand the quoted part?

poiuwert wrote:
Zexila wrote: What enables live mode?
Thank you! I don't really understand the quoted part?
He describes when you are in live mode I guess, my solution for overloads were having just one extra empty audio track selected when I playback whole project (among other things, but this was main issue for me too).

But I'm Logic 9 guy, this might be something new to X I don't know about, so take all this with grain of salt.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”