August Contest: Voting

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Great to see the incredible response again this month! Make sure you read the "liner notes" in the Submissions thread to fully appreciate real simplicity of this month's entries.

Vote for your Top 10 favorite compositions, in order (most-favorite = #1, proceed downward).

Voting ends on early a.m. (US Central Time), Thursday, September 1st. It may be just a little while after that for me to tally the votes before the results threads appears.

No voting for yourself. Voters must have had 20 prior posts, or at least have participated in the contest this month.

Once you place your vote, you cannot change it, unless permission has been granted by the moderator.

In the case of equal scores after voting, entries will be separated by how many 10 pts (i.e., how many #1 votes) they got, then 9 pts and so on. (Thanks to OSC for this rule.)

You must participate in voting to win prizes!

A useful link (but please note the caution at the bottom of the page) :
http://farlukar.x10.mx/kvrcontest/

Thanks and good luck!

1. kryptonaut
2. Hellfog
3. rachmiel
4. slartibartfast
5. Mister Natural
6. Laguna Rising
7. elrictracks
8. Chickenman
9. BojanKerkez
10. Jazzaria

The first ones stuck to the concept and put work into the arrangement and were very creative.

the next few had talent and ambition and great production

the last few got honorable mention because they stuck out and well done but a few others had just done it a little better by using original samples and /or playing their instruments.

"Dasheesh - The Last Cicada: Sweet playing, very expressive with beautiful dynamics. Was waiting for a real sample of Cicadas or something which would have put it much higher in my list."

^^^ Too predictable for me buddy. I think that's what everyone expected of me :P . I actually had recordings of cicadas from my neighborhood but never got around to adding them in. Thanks for the mention though!
Last edited by Dasheesh on Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

Another nice theme this month, really looking forward to having another crack, it's been liberating to just sit down and do something off the cuff.

Don't be concerned about your placement in my list, it gets very hard to put things in any real ranked order when everyone wins just by entering and making that effort (in my book).

erictracks - Dappled in Gray: Really nice, full sound with just the right instrumentation.
Laguna Rising - Liquid Skies: All the chill you need when peeling the spuds for tea (which is generally when I listen to the contest submissions).
Mister Natural - Mr Natural Suite for Guitar and Cheese: Really cool stuff.
Funky Lime - space time wizard: My bollocks, are numb... haha - great work.
Hellfog - Simple City Universe: Wow, so beautiful - made me get out my keyboard for a bit until my 2yo kicked me off so she could "pay pano" haha - cheers :D
Kryptonaut - A Penny For Your Thoughts: I love this, it's aided by modern tech but really it's old school sampling and creation.
rachmeil - Squeeeek: Another great effort to work within some very specific limitations. Squeaking doors upset me but I pushed through the pain and listened to the whole thing, good work.
beanpole - tilting at windmills: Excellent work. Great created kit and nice instrumetation.
Yeager - Jumping the Gun: Heaps of motion, It could be a sci fi theme song and I kinda wish it was, now that X Files isn't on any more.
folderol - Mr Bird and Me: The idea of simplicity always brings people back to melody/emotion - I really enjoyed it.
BojanKerkez - Late Night Strolls to the Grand Central: Beautiful, all verbed out and huge.
bluerobot - The Lake Of Innisfree: More beautiful sound, really nice progression from spoken to synthesized and back.
Shrikant - Monsoon Blues: Nice tune, nice sample - the only thing that threw me a bit was the very "present" drums.
Jazzaria - Low Tide: Nice and simple, It clips a bit for me as the tune goes on.
Dasheesh - The Last Cicada: Sweet playing, very expressive with beautiful dynamics. Was waiting for a real sample of Cicadas or something which would have put it much higher in my list.
slartibartfast - Human Nature: Nice soundscape.
Last edited by Chickenman on Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I play guitar

1 kryptonaut
2 Laguna Rising
3 folderol
4 Chickenman
5 bluerobot
6 BojanKerkez
7 Yeager
8 Mister Natural
9 Dasheesh
10 Jazzaria

1 (10pts) Hellfog - Simple City Universe
2 (9pts) Jazzaria - Low Tide
3 (8pts) Laguna Rising - Liquid Skies
4 (7pts) Blue Robot - The Lake Isle of Innisfree
5 (6pts) kryptonaut - A Penny For Your Thoughts
6 (5pts) slartibartfast - (Human) Nature
7 (4pts) Mr Natural - Suite for Guitar and Cheese
8 (3pts) Yeager - Jumping The Gun
9 (2pts) rachMiel - Squeeeeeek
10 (1pts) folderol - Mr Bird and Me

Tricky voting, some pieces I enjoyed but I felt were not so much on-theme. Anyway, here goes...

10 pts: rachMiel - Squeeeeeek
9 pts: BojanKerkez - Late Night Strolls to the Grand Central
8 pts: beanpole - Tilting At Windmills
7 pts: Chickenman - Simplicity
6 pts: thefunkylime - space wizard
5 pts: Hellfog - Simple City Universe
4 pts: BlueRobot - The Lake Isle Of Innisfree
3 pts: LagunaRising - Liquid Skies
2 pts: Yeager - Jumping The Gun
1 pts: folderol - Mr Bird and Me

erictracks
Chickenman
funky lime
Yeager
Hellfog
kryptonaut
Mister Natural
BojanKerkez
folderol
Laguna Rising
can't sing, can't play, looks awful.....

1. Laguna Rising, Liquid Skies
Love this, especially how the very sweet melody arises seamlessly from the opening abstract sounds. And you nailed the length imo, cut it just when it wanted to be cut. Bravo! (Title bonus: Liquid Sky is one of my all-time favorite (schlock/art 80s) sci-fi movies.)

2. Kryptonaut, A Penny For Your Thoughts
Sweet! Reminds me of early musique concrete, particularly Bohor by Xenakis. Well done.

3. funky lime, space time wizard
Great fun! Like the voice, very hum-along-with-able. This got my wife's attention, she gotta kick outtafit ...

4. Jazzaria, Low Tide
Effective use of the sea organ sounds. Sounds like an egregiously slowed-down calliope tune, a mood-setter for a carnival gone wrong ...

5. beanpole, Tilting at Windmills
Very tap your foot to ... fun and simple beat and melody. Reminds me of an old English music hall song.

6. BojanKerkez, Late Night Strolls to the Grand Central
Sweet melancholic atmosphere, nice use of field recordings. Really sets a drippy film-noir mood ...

7. Chickenman, It's Easy
Sweet little song, well produced, love your backup singer. The virtuoso guitar solo is a genre quantum leap.

8. erictracks, Dappled in Gray
Enjoyed this, sort of a dream of an Americana-ish, country-ish song with just a hint of psychedelia.

9. folderol, Mr. Bird and Me
Call-and-answer bird/human(organ) litany form, brings me back to my Catholic days ...

10. bluerobot, The Lake Isle of Innisfree
One of my favorite Yeats poems. Especially like how the voice morphs to/from the digital brass sound.

01. kryptonaut - A Penny For Your Thoughts
Great concept, solid execution.

02. slartibartfast - (Human) Nature
Birds leading to traffic leading to an explosion seems a fitting track for your namesake.

03. BojanKerkez - Late Night Strolls to the Grand Central
Love the ambience, like a misty evening.

04. folderol - Mr Bird and Me
Sweet sound, nice theme.

05. bluerobot - The Lake Isle of Innisfree
Nice choice, tastefully tweaked.

06. Laguna Rising - Liquid Skies
Cool sounds, nice feeling of space.

07. Mister Natural - Suite for Guitar and Cheese
Funky.

08. rachmiel - Squeeeeeek
Nicely done, reminds me of something I'll link to in the gossip thread.

09. beanpole - Tilting At Windmills
I like the natural feel. It'd be cool to map your samples to a kit for general use

10. erictracks - Dappled in Gray
Lazy simple feel, and not bad room sound.

01 - rachMiel - Squeeeeeek
02 - Chickenman - Simplicity
03 - shrikant - Monsoon Blues
04 - BojanKerkez - Late Night Strolls to the Grand Central
05 - erictracks - dapple dingray
06 - Dasheesh - The Last Cicada
07 - kryptonaut - A Penny For Your Thoughts
08 - Jazzaria - Low Tide
09 - funky lime - space time wizard
10 - beanpole - Tilting At Windmills

funky lime - i'm too sexy into a super catchy melody yes plz
Chickenman - track sounds so good. solo over zappa-ish vamp +100
BojanKerkez - incredible ambience
beanpole - excellent recorded sounds, engaging
shrikant - always a sucker for this mode, sax actually works, strategic use of monsoon sample
folderol - outstanding melodic sound and execution within the field recording
rachMiel - super creative manipulation
Laguna Rising - good sounding journey through your blinds
Jazzaria - haunting organ with deep sound selection
Yeager - wicked good idea, modern yet simple on several levels

@Laguna Rising: Dapple Dingray hell yes a much better title imo haha

01 // kryptonaut // A Penny For Your Thoughts
02 // Laguna Rising // Liquid Skies
03 // BojanKerkez // Late Night Strolls to the Grand Central
04 // Hellfog // Simple City Universe
05 // Mister Natural // Suite for Guitar and Cheese
06 // erictracks // Dappled in Gray
07 // funky lime // space time wizard
08 // Yeager // Jumping the Gun
09 // Chickenman // It's Easy
10 // Jazzaria // Low Tide

This one was much harder to assess than it was to actually contribute :help:
I tried to manage the conflicting ideas of simplicity against interest, and this is what I came up with.

1 kryptonaut
2 Hellfog
3 Dasheesh
4 BojanKerkez
5 Jazzaria
6 erictracks
7 beanpole
8 Yeager
9 LagunaRising
10 thefunkylime

HMs to all the others. Some very different takes on the theme. Possibly the most variety I've heard for a long time.
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

Thank goodness there were only 16 to vote on. It's tough to compare such a diverse range of tracks. I have given bonus points to those that IMHO most closely stuck to the theme, but some of the tracks lower in the list were great in their own right.

1. kryptonaut - A Penny For Your Thoughts
2. rachmiel - Squeeeeeek
3. BojanKerkez - Late Night Strolls to the Grand Central
4. Hellfog - Simple City Universe
5. beanpole - Tilting At Windmills
6. bluerobot - The Lake Isle of Innisfree
7. Laguna Rising - Liquid Skies
8. erictracks - Dappled in Gray
9. folderol - Mr Bird and Me
10. Yeager - Jumping The Gun

Thanks to all who submitted for your contributions.
Time is an illusion - lunchtime doubly so.

01 kryptonaut - A Penny For Your Thoughts
02 Laguna Rising - Liquid Skies
03 rachMiel - Squeeeeeek
04 BojanKerkez - Late Night Strolls to the Grand Central
05 Mister Natural - Suite for Guitar and Cheese
06 bluerobot - The Lake Isle of Innisfree
07 funky lime - space time wizard
08 erictracks - Dappled in Gray
09 slartibartfast - (Human) Nature
10 Chickenman-It's Easy

Return to “Music Cafe”