Two major software announcements from PreSonus: Notion 6 & Studio One 3.3

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Notion Studio One Professional

v3.3 filling gaps when quantize multitrack drums is great. Without this the function is kind of crippled so it´s great that they addressed this. I´m also looking forward to learn Notion and start testing it´s integration with S1. Looks great.

How close is the integration? Can you update something in one and it show in the other straight away?

LawrenceF wrote:
Often you don't figure out that it doesn't work well for you till you've invested a good bit of time invest in it.
Sorry Robert, I don't personally buy that in this particular case. :) If you're looking at a $3-400 purchase and what you do daily is sequence VI's to make music, you'd most certainly be sequencing VI's to make music in the demo before spending the $3-400.
I bought Studio One a long time ago even if I realized that it was a resourse hog comapred to Logic etc. I thought that it was a young DAW but one that wanted to play with the "big guys" so I was sure that they would do something about this. It also looked like it could be the best alternative to switch to from Cubase and Logic. Cubase has the annoying elicenser dongle and Logic is MAC only so Studio One could finally be a great alternative to these. No dongle and crossplatform at the same time that their vision of workflow was compelling. We are now on version 3 and the performance "issues" has been ignored so far. I use Studio One from time to time but have not made the switch and will not until it performs better. I believe that many have not considered Studio One because of the bad performance to and it is a shame because it is a great daw even with it´s flaws.

Yes one can use other DAWs and it is just software etc but it is about time that Presonus does something about this. The DAWs audio engine performance is an essential "feature" and all the big names has already done something about this except Presonus. I don´t think they would loose many customers if they used some developers time to develop a hybrid audio engine that allowed users to run twice as many VIs without starting to bounce tracks.
I also don´t understand users that don´t want their DAW to perform better either.
"It works for me on my system, I don´t care if something else performs better, I have a workstation with the latest i7 and I have no problems if you use a portable computer to produce music you are stupid etc etc."
The DAW producers are competing on all levels and if many users complain that S1 don´t perform as good as for example Cubase or Logic on their system I think Presonus should take it seriously and do something about it instead of telling customers to not use their DAW if it is not good enough for them. It is just so strange :ud:

My last words on this subject, to sum it up. Studio One is a good DAW but with bad performance compared to some other DAWs and Presonus should do something about it, but they wont. Instead they tell you to use another DAW. :clap: :party:

aMUSEd wrote:How close is the integration? Can you update something in one and it show in the other straight away?
I have not had time to test it myself yet but it looks like it don´t work that way. One has to do a transfer.

@Scottex: I had a good laugh reading your 2 answers to my posts on the previous page.

Ok, instead of moaning about Studio One´s bad VSTi performance. Lets all, who thinks S1 needs a hybrid audio engine like Logic and Cubase, vote for this feature request at Presonus feature request site.

http://answers.presonus.com/8655/altern ... 8655#q8655

:tu:

There are no performance issues with Studio One, and Melodyne definitely doesn't crash the latest release hahaha according to one of the utterly useless Presonus Staff mr "check your attitude" who calls users liars and then disappears when they post crash logs, airhead or something he is called.

So lets be clear, voting on a feature at Presonus = Pointless, the Presonus staff are ignorant a holes.
Duh

I just installed the new update, and now studio one won't open for me.

I think There are some reported issues of this with older versions of melodyne causing this....there are fixes posted on the studio one forum.

I highly recommend the Studio One forum rather than posting on KVR, it's quite a civilised place and people will help you out and discuss the good and the bad.

I use S1 along with many other DAWs, everything's working great for. E and this was a terrific little update for me as I score to video...
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Is notion 6 worth $50 folks?

Well, I have returned to S1 after I sold Bitwig. I thought first to move to Live (to Standard from Intro), but using Live intro in two days brought maybe 5 crashes!! While S1 has none these days! I can do such switches because I'm hobbiest and not Professional, so no much harm is caused ;)

Anyway, I have the Artist version with the VST/ReWire extension. I don't have Melodyne and I don't have the many features in the Pro version. I don't think I will move to the Pro version because I believe the Artist is first, more than enough for me, and second, I think it is more stable than the Pro because it is always, less features means more stability.

I don't think the cpu usage is that horrible really! I did some compromises or I made some changes to make the cpu preformance in S1 acceptable by using Addictive Drums 2 instead of Studio Drummer, some of Reaktor light ensembles (still sound great of course) instead of the heavy ones ..etc. So, I can't really say I have any problem!

Actually the lack of advanced features (like the sketch pad), is forcing me to concentrate on the song and not trying too many variations. That means I complete the song instead of sinking in more tries and more sketches! All is good so far and I'm happy again to be able to use the shortcuts I used to and the return to the more familiar DAW for me :D

I didn't try the integration with Notion, because I still have Notion 5 and I don't think I will upgrade very soon to version 6.

EnGee wrote:Well, I have returned to S1 after I sold Bitwig. I thought first to move to Live (to Standard from Intro), but using Live intro in two days brought maybe 5 crashes!! While S1 has none these days! I can do such switches because I'm hobbiest and not Professional, so no much harm is caused ;)
why not to Reaper, the modulatable(weighted average CC envelope values can be created easily )free routable pattern based CC envelopes are much more fun than the rigid S1 automation :clown:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Obn8tFL7GtE

scratch pad, Reaper can play projects from more than one tab(background projects) with independent timeline(looping) playing positions and the MIDI can be streamed between them ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZ-kdzlu9QY
so anything audio/MIDI/automations can be routed back from different tab(s) to the original projec tab in real-time

so CPU optimalization, automation/modulation, routing, MIDI effects are still weak in S1 IMO, Reaper is much funnier for EDM
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

I have Reaper but I prefer Studio One ;)

beatmangler443 wrote:Is notion 6 worth $50 folks?
Hell Yes, utter no brainer; but if in doubt demo it (there is a full demo) but make sure you spend at least an hour or two with it before deciding...its a bit of a paradigm shift if you haven't worked with score entry before.

I have been amazed how easy it is to produce music on Notation....I can barely read music but have basic scales etc- just pulling random notes on to an orchestral template and hit play- Whooo - actually sounded good, few bum notes- drag up and down- add some trills, mf, crescendo randomly- bloody hell, real music...a totally different way of working I have never really considered!

You can obviously also play in with a keyboard (or import midi) and then edit and add ornaments in a totally different visual way.

I hadn't realised but there is also a massive free on line library of classical music and scores that you can download, analyse, tweak and change- great for learning or just plagiarising from the very best!

The sounds that come with Notation are worth the 50 bucks alone, I have been using them without feeling the need to swap them out for a bigger library.. (and I have East West Composer, Komplete 11 etc....)

I also bought the iPAD Notation app...you can load from one to the other for portable scoring, and obviously to S1 (haven't tried the integration yet, having too much fun scoring a full orchestra and feeling like a real composer!!)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

beatmangler443 wrote:Is notion 6 worth $50 folks?
Yes, it is. I mostly use Finale 2014, but I have Presonus Notion 5 and I use it when I need something quick and dirty... it can really hold it's own against Finale... Notion is a simple clear and relatively intuitve notation program... in comparision to Finale which takes time to learn and navigate -- with Finale it's necessary to consult the online help almost every session, but with Notion things are logical and clear...
Bobet

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”