New algo reverb: Hornet Spaces

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I like the reverb too, and bought it. the GUI is fine and I appreciate Saverio's desire to try different things. having a different visual design on each plugin is fine because it gives each one a unique experience which helps with the creative process. its all subjective and you cant satisfy everyone. but for the price there is no question its worth purchasing is you can use the sound of it, which I can. its nice to have some different takes on reverb since the vast majority of them all srtive for a simiar sound - Spaces is unique and musical.

vic_france wrote: Just create (nice?) GUIs and don't bother with all that sound manipulating nonsense :P. That way, we can all continue discussing what really matters
600 posts in 14 years :hihi:
Zexila wrote:Don't know why some folks here are bothered by critiques and reality, there's always room for improvement and for more customers
as much as some like to believe it, there is no standard issue human or standard issue computer. if you are a developer and survey your customers monitor settings, or just release a few plugins, you eventually discern, *there is no way to please all comers*

the official xoxos.net "help you understand" graphic - if you can discern all of the shades, you have a freaking magic computer monitor.

the fact that in decades of popular computer use, so many vst users are evidently incapable of acknowledging the relativity of their perception is "really quite something". we're on page five, does this thread need another person commenting that they dislike the gui? is forty pages of "gui = no" some kind of constructive social event? aren't we like "good to go" on that concept after a solid dozen or score of similar posts? it seems to me, that is sufficient to indicate a trend.

moreover, does your opinion really assist other customers in discerning whether or not the gui works for them? imo hornet's got a winner.. it works and it's "controversial".

these are rhetorical questions. if you spend more than ten minutes a songfile using the gui, i'd be surprised. go out into the world and have a walk or something, life oughtn't be about making sure people respect the volume of criticism you feel like dispensing on one old day there. let go, be free. let the world bear the glory of what you have already done. it's only plugins and forums.
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

xoxos wrote:
vic_france wrote: Just create (nice?) GUIs and don't bother with all that sound manipulating nonsense :P. That way, we can all continue discussing what really matters
600 posts in 14 years :hihi:
Yes, I'm sure that's hysterically funny. But if you bother to actually read them, the vast majority are actually positive, constructive and/or helpful. (Darn it.. I've just blown a 601st one on something completely useless ;) )
I did get a life,once...but it was faulty, so I sent it back.

vic_france wrote: Yes, I'm sure that's hysterically funny. But if you bother to actually read them,
it is if you interpret it as a function of knowing the value of considerate words before the "can haz cheesburger" set :idea:
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

HoRNet wrote:I understand somebody don't like flat or dark designs but i honestly prefer minimal flat design to skeuomorphic designs and I'm trying to go in that direction. I for one i'm a big fan of Ableton's GUI and i think it's near perfect.

Saverio
To compare this to Ableton is a joke, no more no less, Abelton is flat readable and clean, this is garish, low quality and actually hard to read for many people, personally i love flat designs, they work for me better than anything else, but this is just horrid to me, so much that i could not use it, and no level of KVRist "You no like GUI, you suck" nonsense is going to influence that.
Anybody who says that slick UI design does not go hand in hand with good sound design is very very stupid.
Duh

xoxos wrote: as much as some like to believe it, there is no standard issue human or standard issue computer. if you are a developer and survey your customers monitor settings, or just release a few plugins, you eventually discern, *there is no way to please all comers*
Well, there are guidelines to design something which most people will feel is pleasant, or comfortable. E.g. it's an absolute no-go to have blue font on black background, much better is black font on white background, contrast wise, and also to avoid a certain visual discomfort, i forgot the term now. Really, as i told aciddose before, there's really no wizardry in creating good GUI's. Loads of "obvious" common things, which are not so hard to find out. E.g. i haven't spoken to many people who find that the Apple GUI design is awful, or unclear. Or Android's. There are many (payware) plugins which get the GUI design thing right. And some which don't. I have no idea what is the case with Hornet Spaces, because, sometimes, you only realize it is a bad GUI, when actually using the plugin. Anyway, themed skins like these are always a problem, and i'm not surprised that people are complaining about it.

HoRNet wrote:i always loved how LCARS looked and i hate the fact that many themes are LCARS inspired but actually unusable so i wanted to try to create an LCARS GUI that's actually usable,
Yes!

:-D

foosnark wrote:That GUI design, even though it's not using the LCARS font, just makes me immediately hate it.

For ages, anything that could be skinned by users -- Winamp, LiteSTEP, whatever -- inevitably had a dozen different LCARS skins, each one worse than the last. I thought we were past that now.
jens wrote:This one really works though.. I think from both a functional and an aesthetical viewpoint it is well designed, LCARS inspried or not.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

robotmonkey wrote: this plugin has absolutely horrible gui.

Is that a fact or just your opinion?
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

I bought it without even checking it out first. Is that bad?
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

xoxos wrote:
the official xoxos.net "help you understand" graphic - if you can discern all of the shades, you have a freaking magic computer monitor.

I can discern all of the shades!!! :hyper:

I need to say I'm not really impressed at the first demo session. I'm a huge fan of Saverio plugins, and bought a lot of them, but the reverb is a little bit metalic to my taste. I don't know.
It's not BAD, it is an ok reverb. I just get better sounds from my PSP EasyVerb, or my simple Scarlet reverb from focusrite. Maybe we are all expecting something more "wow" from HorNet.

Spitfire31 wrote:I have to agree about the garish GUI. Its main purpose seems to be to stick out instead of being a serious working enviroment. Since I'm a visual guy, no matter how good that verb may sound, I'm not going to let it into my home.

/Joachim
Yes. And when people look at your song they won't have to see that terrible GUI. This reverb has a unique sound at a very good price point.

markmann wrote:
Spitfire31 wrote:I have to agree about the garish GUI. Its main purpose seems to be to stick out instead of being a serious working enviroment. Since I'm a visual guy, no matter how good that verb may sound, I'm not going to let it into my home.

/Joachim
Yes. And when people look at your song they won't have to see that terrible GUI. This reverb has a unique sound at a very good price point.
And when you get to work, nobody cares about the square tires on your car.

But you sure as hell do, all the way from start to end.
http://admiralbumblebee.com/
Audio Software Reviews, Woodworking, Programming and more...

I like the GUI. So far I don't like the reverb. If it was free I'd ditch it. Since it wasn't, I'll try it on some things without sharp transients. I have the feeling it may be good on occasional synth parts or for special fx.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Robert Randolph wrote:
HoRNet wrote: I understand somebody don't like flat or dark designs but i honestly prefer minimal flat design to skeuomorphic designs and I'm trying to go in that direction. I for one i'm a big fan of Ableton's GUI and i think it's near perfect.

Saverio
It's not about flat or dark designs.

The spacing of elements, unanchored floating text and aliased shapes contribute to an unsuccessful implementation of LCARS.

If you really want, I can go through the whole thing and list the things that could be improved about it while keeping the same feel, but you made the same mistakes in the new channel strip UI and didn't improve upon it.

At least in the future, be more mindful of consistent spacing of elements and fonts and avoid large open spaces of nothing.
Didn't you write a book on this on GS? I suggest a hobby- like making music. Or perhaps plugin development. :hihi:

Return to “Effects”