New to Mac please suggest all the things I've been missing!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Really exicted to try out numerology but not sure about what other mac only options I should check out. Any suggestions?
fade me out.

The obvious one is Logic
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

..off to play with my music toys - library music production.
http://www.FiveMinuteHippo.com

It's hard to think of Mac-only stuff with so much stuff being cross-platform. I guess Logic, Garageband and Mainstage for starters. There's also the Neuron VS.

As already mentioned, Goodhertz and Sinevibes are Mac-only. Reverb.com have one of Sinevibes' plugins free right now, so check that out. They also have a couple of freebies on their site. Check out Klevgrand as well.
Image Image Image Image

Check out the Airwindows plugins. They were au only but are now being ported to windows. So you may not have seen them before.
http://www.airwindows.com/audio-units/

This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Thunderbolt audio interfaces and Logic . Logic now has Camel Audio Alchemy 2 exclusively ....enjoy. .

Numerology (you already mention it)
Logic

and if you want to get in some deep water

Metasynth

Thanks to all. This is exactly what I was hoping for. Loads of quirky interesting things to try out.
fade me out.

The list goes on:
46. AudioFinder-- for editing and organising all your samples - highly recommended
47. DSP Quattro - audio batching, editing (pitch/stretch), mastering etc. There's a Groove3 tutorial that demonstrates the great workflow.
48. Xx - algorithmic composition (companion app for Metasynth); its another world.
49. LNX Studio - a free DAW in SuperCollider language (wrap your head around that one!)
.. and a few more mac-only devs I haven't got around to trying, like Greynotemusic, Pulsarmodular, ...
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

For me, the switch to Mac was moreso about the operating system and supporting apps. For music production, I still much prefer Cubase (I own Logic Pro X too) and always stick with cross-platform plugins. All major plugin manufacturers support both plaforms.

But it's things like Audio Hijack, OpenEmu, 1Password (much better on Mac), Affinity Photo / Designer, DaisyDisk and a few other minor things that I really love on Mac.

Also the accessibility features (ability to zoom into the screen) is really handy when working in a DAW and you find text on a plugin too small or a bit further away.

OS X also has a great ability to recover if you turn off and on your gear. Unlike Windows where I would need to restart Cubase if I forgot to switch on my controller, OS X just picks it up straight away and I can continue working.

Thunderbolt Audio Interfaces are also a great thing, I own a Focsurite Clarett 2Pre and it's absolutely incredible! It is really PCI level latency and the good news is that Focusrite have committed to Windows drivers too in case you wish to use the interface on a Windows system at any point.

My tip: Macs and OS X are GREAT, but try to stay cross-platform where possible. It's nice to have options :)

All the best
Fotis

Also, watch places like bundlehunt, stacksocial, macupdate, macheist, etc. for app bundles which will give you INCREDIBLE deals on apps you might want....
..off to play with my music toys - library music production.
http://www.FiveMinuteHippo.com

stay away from presonus studio 1 V3 !!

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”