New algo reverb: Hornet Spaces

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I also think Hornet needs an unified framework. Most of the GUIS are ugly as hell. I own only the SW34 EQ and I'm relieves that this has a normal GUI. :P I think often a recoloring would help ... did this in 45 seconds and I think it far better on the eyes :P :P :P anyway do not like the sound of this reverb so I will pass .... 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rabbit in a hole

Some of Hornet's plugins are really great, but the developer should look into user interface design / interaction design and related subjects. There are probably tutorials or even MooCs for this on the web.
Autobot wrote:I think often a recoloring would help ... did this in 45 seconds and I think it far better on the eyes
Your "recoloring" is far from optimal. It's barely readable. Bad constrast, strange typography, far worse than the original design! If you don't know about proper color combination, at least use a color wheel tool like Adobe Kuler to find colors that complement one another.

Autobot wrote:did this in 45 seconds and I think it far better on the eyes
dear

f**king

god.

no.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

:P

To be honest, i don't find that exactly "easy" on the eyes too. Especially the lack of contrast makes it hard to read. I find the original easier on the eyes at least.

aMUSEd wrote:It's awesome, some of the exaggerated complaints are ridiculous.
Your complaint is ridiculous, it's like complaining how some people are nuts for not enjoying in S&M just because you do.
nickamandote wrote:You're fighting over gui when what it really matters is the sound... no wonder many buy plugins today because they like the skins but they have no idea using them. Companies invest a lot in design because they know what they know. Hornet is making great plugins for amazing prices and that's what really counts first. Also I find the skins ok if you ask me. Start making music, because in the end the sound is the one who speaks not the skin the plugin had.
Don't care how pretty GUI is, just want something usable I can stand looking at and working with, that's not too much to ask, because he did it before, this one is complete fail IMO and I wouldn't use it if it were a freebie in the present state.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Here's an idea that would save developers a lot of time..
Just create (nice?) GUIs and don't bother with all that sound manipulating nonsense :P. That way, we can all continue discussing what really matters, without the (very occasional) interruption about the way a plugin sounds getting in our way :P
(btw, bought this one.. certainly not a "go-to" for me, but I'm sure it'll get used from time to time ;) )
I did get a life,once...but it was faulty, so I sent it back.

Don't know why some folks here are bothered by critiques and reality, there's always room for improvement and for more customers, think Saverio can appreciate the honest feedback and improve on it, especially when enough people are having same objections, something is not right, shutting us up will not make it disappear or plugin any better, so no point of complaining about complaints.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Izak Synthiemental wrote:Some of Hornet's plugins are really great, but the developer should look into user interface design / interaction design and related subjects. There are probably tutorials or even MooCs for this on the web.
Autobot wrote:I think often a recoloring would help ... did this in 45 seconds and I think it far better on the eyes
Your "recoloring" is far from optimal. It's barely readable. Bad constrast, strange typography, far worse than the original design! If you don't know about proper color combination, at least use a color wheel tool like Adobe Kuler to find colors that complement one another.
It's the same font and gui i just change the background from black to white ... :help:
rabbit in a hole

As pointed out earlier, it's the ridiculous hyperbole in *some* of the complaints that is so off-putting.

It's still not as bad as KVR arguments about font. :x :hihi:

jsp1979 wrote:As pointed out earlier, it's the ridiculous hyperbole in *some* of the complaints that is so off-putting.
It is off putting to me and I'm giving my personal feedback you like it or not, don't know why are you bothered by it, I know why I am, I can't look at it, but why are you bothered by that is beyond me.

Wow guys 4 pages of thread in a single night! This must be really a sensitive topic :)

Regarding the GUI, it all comes from my will to try something else every time it' boring to create plugins that all look the same (unified GUI toolkit someone was talking earlier) I'm a creative type of person and i want to try something different every time, sometime I'm lucky sometime not, but that's fine with me.
Regarding this specific GUI, i always loved how LCARS looked and i hate the fact that many themes are LCARS inspired but actually unusable so i wanted to try to create an LCARS GUI that's actually usable, couple that with the fact that the plugin is called "Spaces" ant then you get a perfect match :)

I understand somebody don't like flat or dark designs but i honestly prefer minimal flat design to skeuomorphic designs and I'm trying to go in that direction. I for one i'm a big fan of Ableton's GUI and i think it's near perfect.

Saverio

All talk of the GUI aside, this thing sounds great. Really nice reverb, totally adjustable, very smooth. I like it a lot :)
A bit fried in the higher freqs

HoRNet wrote: I understand somebody don't like flat or dark designs but i honestly prefer minimal flat design to skeuomorphic designs and I'm trying to go in that direction. I for one i'm a big fan of Ableton's GUI and i think it's near perfect.

Saverio
It's not about flat or dark designs.

The spacing of elements, unanchored floating text and aliased shapes contribute to an unsuccessful implementation of LCARS.

If you really want, I can go through the whole thing and list the things that could be improved about it while keeping the same feel, but you made the same mistakes in the new channel strip UI and didn't improve upon it.

At least in the future, be more mindful of consistent spacing of elements and fonts and avoid large open spaces of nothing.
http://admiralbumblebee.com/
Audio Software Reviews, Woodworking, Programming and more...

do_androids_dream wrote:lmao hahahahahahaha so hilarious the kvr gui obssession. Please carry on :hihi:
Working with plugins that have horrible gui's is like driving a car with a square steering wheel. And this plugin has absolutely horrible gui. What's hillarious is that alternatives presented here are equally bad.
No signature here!

So, anyway, about the sound...

I like the idea behind the reverb. From what I've worked on so far, it seems to be more suited to small rooms and spaces. I tried a fairly extreme test on by trying to simulate a long narrow tunnel. On its own Spaces is quite "fluttery", which is probably not a surprise as I guess you'd need a dense network of waveguide junctions to do a very smooth reverb this way – which would probably kill the CPU.

However, using it an early-reflection generator feeding into a reverb with the ability to mix ER and tail separately seems to work pretty well. I tried it with Waves Trueverb mixing, letting some of the Spaces reflections on the dry channel, and got some spaces that I was happy with, particularly when it came to the more unusual spaces.

The GUI is far from horrible. People might not like the colours; the centre section is arguably bigger than it needs to be given that the readout in the middle does not have controls (though can be handy for the dual-reverb setup). But it's super-easy to set up so I fail to see how it's "horrible". It gets the job done.

Return to “Effects”