Airwindows goes Mac/PC VST + donationware; first free cross-platform plugins now available

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

A quick note that direct PayPal ordering for the legacy AU-format Airwindows catalog is now up and running, with bulk discounts available:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/12092476-post13.html

Zexila wrote:What, only two pages, everyone apologized, is this KVR? :scared: :o :ud: :lol:
I've seen plenty of this here before.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Chris, can you take us through the interaction between Console 4 (channel) and Channel 4 (IF there is one) ? do they complement each other ? if so, in what way ?
Professional technicians are assessed by the abilities they possess.
Amateur technicians are assessed by the tools they possess - and the amount of those tools, with an obvious preference to the latest hyped ones.
(Gabe Dumbbell)

Tp3 wrote:Chris, can you take us through the interaction between Console 4 (channel) and Channel 4 (IF there is one) ? do they complement each other ? if so, in what way ?
Sure (sorry for delay, I was working, have put out Guitar Conditioner and SlewOnly/SubsOnly and FathomFive and am closer to a bugfix for VST parameter recall)

Console4 works as the encode/decode behavior for the digital buss. It's sometimes tricky to handle (though if your mix is structurally simple, it's not that bad) and it's designed to do one thing: expand the spatiality of the mix in terms of depth. Console4 is designed and intended to NOT touch the sound of the individual tracks at all. It's not perfect, you hear some alteration, but ideally it would be so accurate that unless multiple tracks were combining, there would be NO change in the sound.

This is unusual, and it's why some people love it and others don't hear it working. Any individual sound is meant to be unaltered, it's all about the way they combine.

Channel4 is the opposite. It requires no decode, isn't fussy, and you can put it in as many places as you want. It's a saturation effect, a slew clipper, and a highpass. What that does is change the tone of the sounds you put through it. They'll have some of the digital 'edge' smoothed off, you can set Channel4 to make the sounds fuller (the 50% setting is pretty amazing: very subtle, but warm as anything) and it gently tightens up the deepest low bass (something constantly happening at every stage in analog consoles that use capacitors for inter-stage coupling).

So, Console4 is the 'spatial' plugin, except I got it to add a 'glue factor'. And Channel4 is the 'tone coloring' plugin but doesn't affect spatial qualities.

I often find myself using mostly Console because I use other techniques to get an 'analog feel' out of my tracking: dynamic mics, outboard analog gear etc. But Channel can be really useful too, because like Console it's extremely minimalist. The slew clipping will ONLY touch the sound if it has to, otherwise it's completely pure. The highpass is a very transparent and simple design that has no pre-ring at all, and no latency. And the saturation has always been a nice 'fattener' because it retains plenty of detail.

I actually learned many things through Channel. Once I tried to change it by switching the transfer function, making it be perfectly flat up until it hit a 'soft knee' area that you could adjust. That might make a good other plugin, and maybe I'll code it for ya, but as a replacement for Channel it was a BIG FAIL. It turned out that, though I executed the transition between flat and 'curved' flawlessly, people absolutely hated it. In something as transparent as Channel, it's ALL about having no irregularities in the transfer function. Channel4 uses the original method, where you do a 'curved' output and then that control is NOT a 'overdrive gain' control, it's a dry/wet control. That way, at subtler settings the 'curve' of the saturation smooths out to nearly flat again, and it's kind of like a single-ended triode power tube circuit: even if it's a lot of 'curve', there's absolutely nowhere on the transfer function 'curve' where there's any sort of transition. It's utterly fluid.

I learned a lot from that one mistake, and now I know to treat 'transitions' in the transfer function with caution. Basically, you can never do what I did, unless you're after a specific sound effect. For pureness and lushness of sound you gotta go full 'smooth'. :D

Yes, Console and Channel complement each other (if you need tone coloring, too).

jinxtigr wrote:Yes, Console and Channel complement each other (if you need tone coloring, too).
I have Console and Channel all over my current mix, and they sound fantastic!
A bit fried in the higher freqs

Bump for the Placebo Effect
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I do this to make that easier for people: all of the above in one link that I keep updated with the latest everything. So you don't have to dig through all those posts (unless you want to watch the videos)

http://www.airwindows.com/wp-content/up ... pdates.zip

I'd like people to torrent up-to-date versions of that, so that in case I die and my website goes offline, people can always get copies of their free plugins. And I'm converting my whole plugin library over as fast as I practically can, as you see.

Also seven of those are literally new and have never existed in AU or VST form before. I still do that too, but now it's for VST and the PC as well :) from now on, I will always support PC VST users, and I'm looking into how to add Linux VST support.

Next I'm doing dithers, up to and including my Naturalize dither. The video for that, and what it's capable of doing, will blow your mind: I'm real happy with how it's working :D

Return to “Effects”